Attention Mustang Tuners: Game over. Saleen wins.

Started by sandertheshark, November 14, 2007, 04:41:14 PM

sandertheshark

Saleen has unveiled two new Mustang models for 2008.
First, the H302 SC, joining the Parnelli Jones Edition in Saleen?s Heritage collection:

For 2008 Saleen launched the second versions of its Heritage Mustang lineup including the new H302 SC. This new model features an updated version of Saleen?s 302ci V8 first featured in the Parnelli Jones Limited Edition Mustang, as well as Saleen's Series VI supercharger.

The Hardware

The H302 SC features a Saleen built, 302 cubic inch engine that represents a marriage of race technology and production performance engineering. The evidence of this fact can be found in the hardware compromising the engine. Saleen starts with 5 axis CNC ported cylinder heads and then adds a new forged crankshaft, forged connecting rods, forged aluminum pistons, performance crankshaft, and high flow fuel injectors. Saleen then adds their patented twin-screw intercooled supercharger to serve as the core for the H302 SC, giving it a pavement-pounding 580 bhp and 525 lb-ft torque. This engine, when married to a smooth shifting, short throw 6-speed manual transmission, gives the H302 SC a performance profile comparable to any contemporary exotic but in a way that is truly American.

As with every Saleen the new S302 SC is more than just about the engine. The vehicle features Saleen?s Racecraft suspension system tuned specifically to the vehicle?s weight and horsepower. The result is responsiveness and stability. ?Many companies simply throw horsepower at a vehicle without adequate consideration to making the power usable. We look to find balance. That is the difference between Saleen as a manufacturer and the typical aftermarket tuner,? says Chris Theodore, head of engineering at Saleen.

Stopping power for the H302 SC is delivered by standard slotted 14-inch front vented rotors grabbed by 4-piston calipers. Control is augmented by the 4-wheel ABS and brake assisted traction control. Lateral stability is enhanced by a Generation 2 Watts Link system that is standard on the H302 SC. Grip is provided by Pirelli tires wrapped over 19-inch forged aluminum alloy wheels that are available in painted silver or chrome. Optional are painted 19-inch 7-spoke forged wheels.

Styling and Design

As with all Saleen vehicles, the H302 SC leaves nothing to be desired from a styling perspective. The H302 SC feature eye popping aesthetics like the new front and rear fascias, rockers and Heritage spoiler. The exterior package is rounded out by the matte black body graphics and an aluminum hood with functional cooling vents. On the inside, the unique seat trim features stone gray Alcantara accents and a laser etched shift knob.

Production and Pricing

The H302 SC is limited to only 200 units. It features a manufacturer?s bumper-to-bumper warranty; 12 months and 12,000 miles. The base price is $74,999.

And here is the latest Extreme, which is well, the extreme.

Saleen Automotive, North American?s premiere specialty vehicle manufacturer, unveiled its 620 horsepower S302E Mustang for 2008. The new ?Extreme?, now represents the most powerful Ford-derived vehicle that Saleen has ever manufactured and a critical step in earning Saleen?s new respect for its products and its brand.

The new S302E raises the bar for American performance cars while never sacrificing on style and control. New for 2008, the car is affectionately known as the ?Extreme? boasts a Saleen-built 302 cubic inch engine augmented by a patented Saleen twin-screw, intercooled supercharger. The combination delivers an unprecedented 620 bhp and 600 lb-ft of neck-snapping, tire incinerating torque. ?We believe that we are in the process of creating a legendary new car. It?s thrilling,? says Saleen President and CEO, Paul Wilbur. ?It seemed to make sense that as we go into our 25th Anniversary as a manufacturer in North America that we make our best and most powerful car yet.?

The Hardware and Engineering

In the automotive history books, all great cars incorporate great hardware and the S302E is no different. The new Extreme feature a litany of high quality performance parts that are a direct reflection of the company?s race engineering heritage, combined with the best thinking in automotive OEM performance engineering. For starts, the unique motor in the Extreme features a forged crankshaft, forged connecting rods, individually blueprinted forged pistons, 5 axis CNC aluminum cylinder heads, high flow fuel injectors, and high performance camshafts. All of these components have been orchestrated to mesh masterfully together, coupled with our best-in-class, patented Saleen twin-scre supercharger. When married to a short throw, 6-speed manual transmission and Max-grip rear differential, the Extreme screams to 60 mph in less than 4 seconds and clicks through the quarter mile in just under 12 seconds.

?This place represents a kind of automotive ?mecca? for me. We are making limited volume, performance vehicles for people who really love cars, by people who really love cars. I cannot think of a better place to put my 35 years of OEM engineering history to work,? says Vice Chairman and Chief Technical Officer Chris Theodore. Theodore is best known as being the father of the Ford GT while Vice President of Advance Product Development at Ford Motor Company. ?Now I am helping build great Saleen cars in the same factory that I architected for the legendary Ford GT.?

?This is the best motor that we have ever done,? says Powertrain Engineering lead Rob Simons. ?We have really benefited from having Chris [Theodore] around. He brings perspective and experience to the company unlike anything that we have known prior.?

To get that kind of performance, the team had to get the S302E?s power to the ground. This is accomplished with standard 20-inch, 5 spoke forged aluminum alloy wheels wrapped in Pirelli P-Zero Rosso tires. Since power is nothing without control, the Extreme also features a Saleen Racecraft suspension and an all-new, second generation Watts Link system that is sure to help the driver maintain control through the corners. The chassis system is rounded out by upgraded 4-wheel disc brakes with ABS and traction control. This performance brake system features 15-inch vented, slotted rotors with 6-pistons calipers in the front and 11.8-inch rear vented discs with single piston calipers in the rear.

(both articles and all photos from Saleen press releases, taken from fast-autos.net.)

Vinsanity

hey, are the rear window louvers making a comeback? :mrcool:

I've generally been less than excited when it comes to Mustangs (won't someone else make a cheap RWD 2+2???), but I love Saleen's creations :ohyeah:

Raghavan

I like the S320 a lot... nice and clean. The PJ looks tacky.

TheIntrepid

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

sandertheshark

Quote from: Raghavan on November 14, 2007, 04:54:08 PM
I like the S320 a lot... nice and clean. The PJ looks tacky.
I don't know about "tacky" but the H302 SC does look a little overdone, I agree.  The "302 SC" decals on the hood are too much.

The S302E on the other hand, looks just about perfect.

SVT666

Holy shit.  Enough with the Mustang threads Nethead and Hemi.....oh, nevermind.

sandertheshark

Quote from: HEMI666 on November 14, 2007, 05:54:28 PM
Holy shit.  Enough with the Mustang threads Nethead and Hemi.....oh, nevermind.
:lol:  I'm kinda surprised neither of you beat me to it.

FlatBlackCaddy

it looks cute.

I'm not a big fan of the 80's camero exque fins over the rear window.

I'm sure i'll see a few of the local business ladies driving these.

TheIntrepid

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

omicron

The wheels on the H302 SC and the Parnelli Jones edition are the best-looking of the myriad fitted to the Mustang variants.

I quite like that H302 SC; even the hood decals and vents. This car, with its louvres and colour scheme, reminds me of a 1970 Mach 1, and that's a good thing.

Raza

Quote from: Vinsanity on November 14, 2007, 04:51:35 PM
hey, are the rear window louvers making a comeback? :mrcool:

I've generally been less than excited when it comes to Mustangs (won't someone else make a cheap RWD 2+2???), but I love Saleen's creations :ohyeah:

I was reading articles in the New York Times, GQ, and the Washington Post that all stated that louvers are making a huge comeback.  I'd stick them on your CTS, were I you.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Onslaught

Not a fan of the louvers or the plastic crap they put over the quarter glass.

Nethead

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on November 14, 2007, 06:14:02 PM
it looks cute.

I'm not a big fan of the 80's camero exque fins over the rear window.

I'm sure i'll see a few of the local business ladies driving these.

FlatBlackCaddy:  Those slats (not "fins"--a true Cadillac fan oughtta know his fins from his slats :nono:) were first offered on domestic production vehicles on the Boss 302s of 1969 and 1970. That's why they're offered on the Saleen Heritage 302s and on the Parnelli Jones Editions. They were available on several European exotics a coupla years earlier. They became a popular aftermarket accessory, and wound up on many F-bodies once several recalls finally corrected a severe mulletlash problem with the earlier versions.

And at 580 HP or 620 HP, the new Camaros will see lots of those rear window slats when and if the resurrected Camaro ever makes production...And these are mere 302s ;)
So many stairs...so little time...

Secret Chimp

There's a Saleen Mustang around here. It has the WORST V8 sound I've ever heard. It sounds like angry dogs banging around in a metal trash can.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Nethead

Quote from: sandertheshark on November 14, 2007, 05:59:01 PM
:lol:  I'm kinda surprised neither of you beat me to it.
sandertheshark: SandDude, you are just too quick! A well-deserved stint at the top of the podium for the SandDude!

FordSVT

Quote from: Secret Chimp on November 15, 2007, 08:17:44 AM
There's a Saleen Mustang around here. It has the WORST V8 sound I've ever heard. It sounds like angry dogs banging around in a metal trash can.

It's probably not even a Saleen, Lord knows there are enough V6 and worn-in but stock V8 Mustangs driving around with huge wings and Saleen stickers all over them.

I've heard several Saleen Mustangs and, like the stock Mustang GT, they all have had amazing exhaust notes.

If it is a Saleen, you've simply got terrible ears. ;)

SVT666

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on November 14, 2007, 06:14:02 PM
I'm not a big fan of the 80's camero exque fins 1970 Mustang Mach 1 window slats over the rear window.
:rolleyes:

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Nethead on November 15, 2007, 08:00:00 AM
FlatBlackCaddy:  Those slats (not "fins"--a true Cadillac fan oughtta know his fins from his slats :nono:) were first offered on domestic production vehicles on the Boss 302s of 1969 and 1970. That's why they're offered on the Saleen Heritage 302s and on the Parnelli Jones Editions. They were available on several European exotics a coupla years earlier. They became a popular aftermarket accessory, and wound up on many F-bodies once several recalls finally corrected a severe mulletlash problem with the earlier versions.

And at 580 HP or 620 HP, the new Camaros will see lots of those rear window slats when and if the resurrected Camaro ever makes production...And these are mere 302s ;)

Camero vs Mustang, the neverending battle.

Personally i don't care which is faster, and the owners won't care either. A camero(or mustange) owner will always find some reason thier car is better than the other(i'm sure most of the camero owners will mention their IRS and pushrod motors as being better than the ohc lumps and solid buggy axle in the mustang). Either way it doesn't matter.

If you can afford 70K for a mustang then you should pull your head out of your ass and buy a real ford performance vehicle, the only ford performance vehicle, the FORD GT.

JYODER240

That 302SC is sweet, but I'd lose the spoiler, and louvers.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: HEMI666 on November 15, 2007, 11:38:03 AM
:rolleyes:

Looked like shit on both of them, so if you want ford to have the credit thats fine with me.

JYODER240

Also, why is it they will spend 30K modding a car but not spend a little more replacing the cheap-looking plastic mirrors?
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

SVT666

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on November 15, 2007, 11:40:10 AM
If you can afford 70K for a mustang then you should pull your head out of your ass and buy a real ford performance vehicle, the only ford performance vehicle, the FORD GT.
That costs a little more then $70K.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: HEMI666 on November 15, 2007, 11:51:13 AM
That costs a little more then $70K.

If you have 70K to throw away on a mustang you can surely afford another 70 to own a real high performance machine. Also for 60K you can buy a SPF GT40. Sure many would call it a "Kit" car, buts actually a replica that is authentic enough to be a serial # continuation replica. Also i believe 90% of the parts are interchangable with it and the original. It is a "real" GT40.

FoMoJo

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on November 15, 2007, 11:41:12 AM
Looked like shit on both of them, so if you want ford to have the credit thats fine with me.
Then, as now, the rear window louvre is more for function than design...it kept the interior of the car from reaching greenhouse temperatures on a sunny day.  It was just a bonus that it looked  :mrcool:!
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

SVT666

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on November 15, 2007, 11:54:21 AM
If you have 70K to throw away on a mustang you can surely afford another 70 to own a real high performance machine.
That's like saying, "If you've got $20K to throw away on a Civic, then you can surely afford $40K to own a real family sedan.

QuoteAlso for 60K you can buy a SPF GT40. Sure many would call it a "Kit" car, buts actually a replica that is authentic enough to be a serial # continuation replica. Also i believe 90% of the parts are interchangable with it and the original. It is a "real" GT40.
If you want a Saleen Mustang, and are willing to spend $70K on one, then you probalby aren't interested in buying a SPF GT40, because if you were, that's probably what you would have bought.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: HEMI666 on November 15, 2007, 11:59:01 AM
That's like saying, "If you've got $20K to throw away on a Civic, then you can surely afford $40K to own a real family sedan.
If you want a Saleen Mustang, and are willing to spend $70K on one, then you probalby aren't interested in buying a SPF GT40, because if you were, that's probably what you would have bought.

Actually the jump from 20 to 40 is larger when we are talking a single family car purchase by people with a average income.

A family with an average income and fixed expensive can afford a 20k car, but not a 40 k car. Someone who is spending 70K on a weekend toy or garage car has alot more available cash to spend and surely has all other financial obligations handled. To them it doesn't matter if its 70, 80, 90K or more for the car. Its a drop in the bucket.

As for the second part, well i'm just trying to make them realize that they should buy the GT40 and not bother with throwing money away on the mustang.

Nethead

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on November 15, 2007, 11:40:10 AM
Camero vs Mustang, the neverending battle.

Personally i don't care which is faster, and the owners won't care either. A camero(or mustange) owner will always find some reason thier car is better than the other(i'm sure most of the camero owners will mention their IRS and pushrod motors as being better than the ohc lumps and solid buggy axle in the mustang). Either way it doesn't matter.

FlatBlackCaddy: What you say is true enough, FlatDude--although Mustang owners get to drive hardware and the Camaro dudes say "Just wait 'til ___(fill in some future year, depending on how much real thought you've given to the current automotive market)" 

BTW, those lumps carry a warranty and offer a choice of 580 HP/525 ft lbs or 620 HP/600 ft lbs, with many others offering 650, 750, and even 900 HP. And they're 302s (or smaller, except for the 330s in the GT500 and its derivatives)--not 427s or larger...the 4700cc (286 cubic inches) lump in the Koenigsegg CCXR puts out over 1,012 HP on E85, and it's another US-emissions-compliant version of that same lump.

Sure, the Ford GT is better in every way except usefulness, and it's a fine choice for the well-heeled :ohyeah:.  Michael Schumacher thinks the Ford GT is an astonishing street machine, and that alone settles all further argument unless, of course, you're a better driver than Schumacher. If you are and you disagree, take it up with Michael...

But this ain't a Ford GT thread, so back to the business at hand: the Nethead here ain't no fan of expensive bodywork modifications to the already bountifully beautiful Mustang GT. No scoops, wings, aprons, will ever find their way onto my future Mustang! The hardly visible underbody splitter on the FR500C--yeah, I could do that. Functional side scoops that cool the rear brakes--yeah, I could do that too. Ducting for cooling the front brakes--sure. A lip rear spoiler--I know of one that is acceptable, but the rest are not. The Terlingua Racing Team air-extracting Mustang hood--oh, yeah! Removing the antenna, the "GT" emblems, and the faux gas cap--OH HELLLLLLLLL YES! And that's all the exterior needs--in fact, Ford has order code "U54" that deletes the "GT" emblems, likely the faux gas cap, and perhaps the antenna, too. The holes for these items are never punched so only nice, smooth bodywork remains! :wub:Nice code, that...

But Mustangs are about choice--well, about PLENTY of choices, actually--and some dudes and chicks like an in-your-face statement. All the Nethead here can say to that is "It's your bucks, your car, and your cred..."

So some will choose to spend their $75,000 on one of these Saleens--I envy them 'cause they'll be out thrashing 580 HP or 620 HP Mustangs while I sit here reading about 'em...

Damn, life's so effin' unfair... :rage:

FordSVT

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on November 15, 2007, 12:26:29 PM
Actually the jump from 20 to 40 is larger when we are talking a single family car purchase by people with a average income.

A family with an average income and fixed expensive can afford a 20k car, but not a 40 k car. Someone who is spending 70K on a weekend toy or garage car has alot more available cash to spend and surely has all other financial obligations handled. To them it doesn't matter if its 70, 80, 90K or more for the car. Its a drop in the bucket.

As for the second part, well i'm just trying to make them realize that they should buy the GT40 and not bother with throwing money away on the mustang.

I disagree, that's like saying every E-class owner can afford a loaded V12 S-class. A $60-70,000 car isn't at what I'd call the "no limits" barrier you're referring to. There are plenty of small business owners and professionals who can afford the payments on a $70,000 car like a GT500 or a Vette or a base 911 but could certainly not afford to buy a $150,000 super car or a $200k Ferrari and all the expenses that go along with cars like that.

ChrisV

I love it/ the '70 Mustang was my favorite year, and the '69 not far behind. The '69 BOSS 302 stripes on the Saleen and those wheels are perfect. I don't even have a problem with the hood. And the louvers are a fitting touch, as they were stock on not just my favorite Mustang, but on one of my favorite cars, ever:

If someone wants to be an insulting prick about them as being an '80s Camaro throwback, then fine, I have no respect for that level of uneducated BS.

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...