Attention Mustang Tuners: Game over. Saleen wins.

Started by sandertheshark, November 14, 2007, 04:41:14 PM

ChrisV

Quote from: Nethead on November 15, 2007, 12:58:05 PM
in fact, Ford has order code "U54" that deletes the "GT" emblems, likely the faux gas cap, and perhaps the antenna, too. The holes for these items are never punched so only nice, smooth bodywork remains! :wub:Nice code, that...

I saw one of those on the road the other day. No grille lights, either. Thought it was a V6 until it passed me, sounding healthy, and then saw the dual exhaust cutouts in the bumper. Quite the sleeper.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

SVT666

Quote from: ChrisV on November 16, 2007, 06:57:26 AM
I saw one of those on the road the other day. No grille lights, either. Thought it was a V6 until it passed me, sounding healthy, and then saw the dual exhaust cutouts in the bumper. Quite the sleeper.
So did I.  I saw one that was black on black two days ago outside my hotel.  It looked really sharp.  The only thing I didn't like was the absense of grille lights, although if they stuck the Bullitt's crosshatch grille in it would look even better.  That's the package I would get if I was ordering new.

Nethead

Quote from: ChrisV on November 16, 2007, 06:55:51 AM

I love it/ the '70 Mustang was my favorite year, and the '69 not far behind. The '69 BOSS 302 stripes on the Saleen and those wheels are perfect. I don't even have a problem with the hood. And the louvers are a fitting touch, as they were stock on not just my favorite Mustang, but on one of my favorite cars, ever:

If someone wants to be an insulting prick about them as being an '80s Camaro throwback, then fine, I have no respect for that level of uneducated BS.

ChrisV: There have been dozens of solid postings by the ChrisDude, but this one is now my favorite--a Boss 302 and a Miura in the same posting! Effin' MAGICAL, that is!

The Nethead here prefers the '69 Boss over the '70 Boss because I do not get off on the '70's non-functional vents that replaced the outer headlight pair on the '69s. OTOH, I prefer the '70's smooth rear fenders that replaced the non-functional scooped rear fenders of the '69s. A combo of the '69's headlights with the '70's smooth rear fenders might have created my favorite Mustang of all time.

But that ain't what happened, so the current S197 coupe is my all-time favorite Mustang followed by the '65 fastback, the '69 fastback, and the '67 fastback, in that order.

And the Nethead here, too, loved those slats, or louvers if you prefer! They added weight and offered no aerodynamic advantage, but I loved 'em anyway and would want 'em on any '69 or '70 of mine! And they were hinged at the front so you could swing the entire unit upwards for washing the rear window. Great idea, well executed! :wub:
The wing sucked, especially when a sharp-looking plus functional ducktail spoiler was a standard part of the bodywork anyway...What were they thinking :nutty:?
So many stairs...so little time...

ChrisV

Nethead, Like you, I prefer the tail of the '70 Mustang without the side scoops and with the flat taillight panel. I like both the '69 and '70 nose, and loved making my non-functional scoops into functional ones. ;) I like the stripe package on the '70 BOSS 302 a bit better, however, which is why it's my favorite and not the '69.

As for the rear wing, it was homologated for racing use, where an adjustable wing worked better than just the ducktail would have. But the joke used to be that it worked so well it added down force just sitting there (and spoiler equipped mustangs came with a prop rod to hold the trunk open...). :lol:

That being said, if I could swing it, this would be in my driveway immediately. Perfect color combination and the right amount of modern, retro, wildness and subtlety. Those wheels are sublime:

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Nethead

Quote from: Onslaught on November 14, 2007, 08:15:13 PM
Not a fan of the louvers or the plastic crap they put over the quarter glass.

Onslaught: Yeah, you wouldn't believe how much sleep those with 580 HP and 620 HP Saleens lose at night because of those...

Onslaught

Quote from: Nethead on November 19, 2007, 12:06:24 PM
Onslaught: Yeah, you wouldn't believe how much sleep those with 580 HP and 620 HP Saleens lose at night because of those...
I just said I don't like the looks of it. I don't see what the HP has anything to do with that.
I'm sure if someone spent that kind of money on a Mustang then they love that particular look.

FordSVT

In any case, I'm sure you can order one without louvers.

Onslaught

I could live with the louvers. But the stuff covering the side glass is ugly and pointless. I've been in current Mustangs with something very much like that and it cuts back on the visibility. That and when you look at it from the inside it's looks strange.

FordSVT

Oh, I agree, I wouldn't have wanted them on my GT. Who the hell needs a three foot long "b/c-pillar"?

I must admit I don't mind the louvers as much, their 70s coolness was all but wiped out by cheesy 80s Camaros. I wouldn't get them but they look alright on the new Mustang GT, especially with body upgrades to make it look like a 70-something.

One last thing: there's only one Stang that reserves the right to wear those side scoops on the rear pillar:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Onslaught on November 20, 2007, 10:36:20 PM
I just said I don't like the looks of it. I don't see what the HP has anything to do with that.

Misdirection is one of Nethead's favorite tactics.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Nethead

Quote from: FordSVT on November 21, 2007, 04:14:57 PM
Oh, I agree, I wouldn't have wanted them on my GT. Who the hell needs a three foot long "b/c-pillar"?

I must admit I don't mind the louvers as much, their 70s coolness was all but wiped out by cheesy 80s Camaros. I wouldn't get them but they look alright on the new Mustang GT, especially with body upgrades to make it look like a 70-something.

One last thing: there's only one Stang that reserves the right to wear those side scoops on the rear pillar:

FordSVT:  SVTDude, check out those Saleen Heritage Editions a little more closely--those aren't C-pillar scoops. They're window covers. Since these Heritage Editions are about Boss 302 heritage, Saleen wanted to give them the look of '69 and '70 Boss 302s. Those Boss 302s did not have C-pillar windows--they had sheetmetal (See ChrisV's excellent pic upstream in this thread). The current Mustang edition, the S197, DOES have C-pillar windows, however, and so Saleen added these covers to create a windowless effect--ditto the Mustang/Maverick/Comet flat black rear wing, the rear window louvers/slats, and the stripes replicating those of the original Boss 302s. The Saleen Parnelli Jones Edition carries this even further with a replica Boss 302 hood with functional shaker hood scoop. If you really, really want to get freakin' about Boss 302 replicas (as opposed to paying into the six figures to pick up a real '69 or '70 Boss 302 at Barrett Jackson), Galpin Ford Motorsports offers a Boss 302 replica which not only has all the aforementioned appearance items but a genuine crate pushrod & carburetored Boss 302 V8 replacing the SOHC 4.6 V8. This is likely to be the most extreme case of Mustangmania being sold for the street today.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 21, 2007, 05:01:43 PM
Even over on the C&D forums.Same shit!!

FordSVT

Nethead, I'm aware of all that, no need for the exposition.  :hammerhead:

Nethead

SoupDude: I don't need tactics 'cuz the the truth works well enough. I think the only posting I've ever made that wasn't one hundred or more percent true is the one in which I confused the two Brocks--my apologies to both Pete and Yates!

Lapdog wrote: "Even over on the C&D forums.Same shit!!"

Yep, the Nethead here was counting the responses before Soup's lapdog came up with a "+" or some equally lame mimic! :tounge: An imitator, just like the Camaro...

LonghornTX

All those body enhancements on the S302 SC and H302 SC make those cars unappealing to me.  Yes, I am sure they are perfectly fitting for the styling direction they are going with on the car, but they turn an already bad visibility situation on that car into one that is absolutely horrible.  No thanks, I will leave those cars to people with 360 degree vision, haha.
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Nethead on November 24, 2007, 03:15:35 PM
SoupDude: I don't need tactics 'cuz the the truth works well enough. I think the only posting I've ever made that wasn't one hundred or more percent true is the one in which I confused the two Brocks--my apologies to both Pete and Yates!

Lapdog wrote: "Even over on the C&D forums.Same shit!!"

Yep, the Nethead here was counting the responses before Soup's lapdog came up with a "+" or some equally lame mimic! :tounge: An imitator, just like the Camaro...
:wtf:

Nethead

Quote from: LonghornTX on November 24, 2007, 05:05:22 PM
All those body enhancements on the S302 SC and H302 SC make those cars unappealing to me.  Yes, I am sure they are perfectly fitting for the styling direction they are going with on the car, but they turn an already bad visibility situation on that car into one that is absolutely horrible.  No thanks, I will leave those cars to people with 360 degree vision, haha.

LonghornTX: LongDude, that's why you and I prefer the looks of the new Bullitt, or the looks of the Terlingua Racing Team Mustangs available next year. Or the FR500C...

OTOH, choices of 580 HP and 525 ft lbs or 620 HP and 600 ft lbs have a certain appeal--and there are at least half-a-dozen other tuner shops offering Mustangs with horsepower well north of these figures--Shelby, Shinoda, Hennessey, Pure Performance Products, yada yada yada...

'Truth is, you can leave the looks alone and still have a bountifully beautiful vehicle, as the Bullitt clearly establishes. In Highland Green or Black...

SVT666

Quote from: Nethead on November 26, 2007, 01:27:06 PM
LonghornTX: LongDude, that's why you and I prefer the looks of the new Bullitt, or the looks of the Terlingua Racing Team Mustangs available next year. Or the FR500C...

OTOH, choices of 580 HP and 525 ft lbs or 620 HP and 600 ft lbs have a certain appeal--and there are at least half-a-dozen other tuner shops offering Mustangs with horsepower well north of these figures--Shelby, Shinoda, Hennessey, Pure Performance Products, yada yada yada...

'Truth is, you can leave the looks alone and still have a bountifully beautiful vehicle, as the Bullitt clearly establishes. In Highland Green or Black...
If they scrapped the headlight splitters, spoiler, and window louvres and kept the front and rear clips, hood, and wheels they would have perfection.

ArchBishop

Low Redline, and huge slow Reving Blowers. Sounds like every other mustang out there. Boring.

SVT666

Quote from: ArchBishop on November 26, 2007, 03:02:00 PM
Low Redline, and huge slow Reving Blowers. Sounds like every other mustang out there. Boring.
:nutty:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Nethead on November 24, 2007, 03:15:35 PM

You have an apparent inability to answer peoples' question or respond to their posts when it would require you to say something even remotely anti-Mustang. Instead, you simply bring up soemthing else.

That's not an untruth, it's a misdirection.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Danish

I like how you imply that he has more than one :lol:
Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Danish on November 26, 2007, 05:46:29 PM
I like how you imply that he has more than one :lol:

He does.

He also likes to simply drop an avalanche of information on people which may or may not be relevant to anything in the hopes that people will simply go comatose before they get done trying to sift through it.

Vinsanity

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 26, 2007, 05:57:22 PM
He does.

He also likes to simply drop an avalanche of information on people which may or may not be relevant to anything in the hopes that people will simply go comatose before they get done trying to sift through it.

That's the only "tactic" I've identified on my own; I refer to it as the "rambling anecdote" :hammerhead:

TheIntrepid

He does.

:orly:

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Nethead

He does.

Soup Deville: You leave me little choice, SoupDude--you mean well, but you get things sorta mixed up occasionally (such as the engine block of the boat anchor 390 Ford engine being the same as the cross-bolted main bearing 427 Ford engine, which they ain't...), just as the Nethead here got the two Brocks mis-identified. Yours is no major infraction, but misinformation needs correcting. I grew up with this stuff, and most of it I can recall--'though not so good with names as you pointed out :ohyeah:

There are those here who can't stand the truth, but it is still the truth.  Funny how that works :confused:

And do I refuse to hear Mustang faults?  Hell no!  I can list the three colossal Mustang faults with a clear conscience any time, any place:

Or is this too much information for you?

Nethead

Quote from: ArchBishop on November 26, 2007, 03:02:00 PM

And more powerful and faster than any vehicles Archbishop has ever owned.

And who needs high revs? The Koenigsegg CCXR version of this engine pumps out a US-legal 1016 HP at 7200 RPM and a decent 780 ft lbs on only 4700 cc. 
True, there are some engines that desperately need high revs to have any power at all. But not these engines. Maybe those in your vehicles...

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Nethead on November 27, 2007, 01:06:12 PM
And more powerful and faster than any vehicles Archbishop has ever owned.

And who needs high revs? The Koenigsegg CCXR version of this engine pumps out a US-legal 1018 HP at 7200 RPM on only 4700 cc. 
True, there are some engines that desperately need high revs to have any power at all. But not these engines. Maybe those in your vehicles...

If it's all about not revving, maybe Ford should just throw a Cummins B6.7 into the Mustang and call it a day. :rolleyes:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

Quote from: NACar on November 27, 2007, 01:09:51 PM
If it's all about not revving, maybe Ford should just throw a Cummins B6.7 into the Mustang and call it a day. :rolleyes:

I'd buy one.