Best/Worst Horn?

Started by 2o6, November 15, 2007, 03:04:25 PM

2o6

An older thread from another forum.

What is the Best Horn?

Best: Mid 90's Buick/Cadillacs, sounds like a chord.

Worst: 2000-ish Toyotas, ugly sounding and annoying.

Onslaught

Eye of the Tiger

Best: The 'st33ms air horns

Worst: My motorcycle's squeaker.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Vinsanity

worst:

best:

http://www.hornblasters.com/

"that'll teach him to putter along the passing lane" :evildude:

the Teuton

Worst:  People make fun of my stock horn.  I'm really surprised by it.

Best:  Hella Supertones
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

AKL

I hate those horns that make "meep-meep" sounds. They're annoying and sound pathetic. My 01 Corolla had it.

I was actually glad when I got the Accord that it didn't have those horrible "meep-meep" sounds older Honda's made.
Same with the Santa Fe. Hyundai finally changed the horn for the Santa Fe.   
---------------------
05 Accord EX V6/  07 Santa Fe 3.3 GL
---------------------

thewizard16

Worst I've driven: 2000 Camry. 92 is about the same.
Best: Suburban. It had a dual horn thing that put out enough sound to vibrate the car in front of me out of the way. Not sure if that was the original horn or not though. I would imagine so.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Raza

Ferraris have pretty weak horns (if the one in Bad Boys 2 was a real Ferrari horn sound).
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Soup DeVille

Cadillacs after 1977 have a two-note  chord in D and F. Before that, they had a three-note chord, but I don't know what notes. Those sounded the best. Caddy horns weren't designed to shoo people away from in front of them, they wer meant to sound classy when you announced your arrival.

Most asian brands have horns that are meant simply to get you noticed in traffic, and are intentionally bleating and annoying.

However, the ultimate road horns are the Nathan P5/P5a "amtrak" horns.

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

TheIntrepid

Worst:
1992-2001 Camry

Best:
2007 Camry Hybrid

It is LOUD and gets your attention. Sounds cool too.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Vinsanity

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 15, 2007, 06:37:53 PM
Cadillacs after 1977 have a two-note  chord in D and F. Before that, they had a three-note chord, but I don't know what notes. Those sounded the best. Caddy horns weren't designed to shoo people away from in front of them, they wer meant to sound classy when you announced your arrival.

Most asian brands have horns that are meant simply to get you noticed in traffic, and are intentionally bleating and annoying.

I have yet to honk my horn on the road, but the beep the CTS makes when you lock and unlock the car with the remote isn't a chord, AFAIK...shame, because I love the chord horns :frown:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Vinsanity on November 15, 2007, 06:46:52 PM
I have yet to honk my horn on the road, but the beep the CTS makes when you lock and unlock the car with the remote isn't a chord, AFAIK...shame, because I love the chord horns :frown:

Really? This is news to me, and not good news either...
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Vinsanity on November 15, 2007, 06:46:52 PM

Mine chirps, but I like Toyota's electronic "Beep beep" better.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Vinsanity

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 15, 2007, 06:51:29 PM
Really? This is news to me, and not good news either...

ok I ran outside and checked, and I believe I stand corrected; it does sound like a chord, but definitely one with high notes close together. Too bad I don't know what a D/F chord sounds like :mask:

Pancor

Old Cadillacs for sure!

My NX1600 had a Buick horn in it, and my bike now has a 240SX horn in it.  I used to take them from wrecked cars at a body shop and experiment with them in my cars...  :)

CALL_911

BMW!!!

(I haven't heard enough horns to know. Hell, I don't even remember what the horns on our cars sound like)

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CJ

Worst: 1997 Isuzu Rodeo.  Holy crap, that horn belongs in a Honda Civic. 

Best: GM tri-note chord horn.

Minpin

look up hornblasters on youtube. That shit is FUNNY!
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

etypeJohn

Best: GE AC4400 locomotive

Worst:  Just about any early Japanese car.

S204STi

I love the "Train" horns found on late-nineties Buicks, particularly the Park Avenue. Make me laugh every time... :lol:

Laconian

Runner-up: Miata. A "beeeeep!" so limp-wristed that it is utterly useless on the noisy interstate.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

280Z Turbo

My Z doesn't even have horns anymore. I don't have a use for them and they get in the way of the intercooler.

etypeJohn

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on November 16, 2007, 11:11:27 AM
My Z doesn't even have horns anymore. I don't have a use for them and they get in the way of the intercooler.

How do you pass state inspection?  Down here you have to have functioning horn(s) to pass

280Z Turbo

Quote from: etypeJohn on November 16, 2007, 11:34:29 AM
How do you pass state inspection?  Down here you have to have functioning horn(s) to pass

We don't have any of that crap in Michigan.

I have always thought that horns are merely for assholes to express their discontent. I really don't buy the argument that they are a "necessary" safety item.

Vinsanity

Sometimes it's extremely necessary to express your discontent :devil:

93JC

I can't remember the last time I used my horn.

In fact, I don't think I've EVER used a car's horn.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Vinsanity on November 16, 2007, 11:46:17 AM
Sometimes it's extremely necessary to express your discontent :devil:

I really don't think you're going to be able to "teach them a lesson".

the Teuton

Our 1976ish Camaro had what seemed to be an air horn.  You could hear it for miles!
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

280Z Turbo

Quote from: 93JC on November 16, 2007, 11:46:40 AM

I have used it to honk at some chickens crossing the road, but that's about it.

heelntoe

Quote from: 93JC on November 16, 2007, 11:46:40 AM

on an average 5 km long trip, i use the horn about 30-40 times. :huh: :lol:
@heelntoe