2 (5.9%)
Volvo C30
1 (2.9%)
Volvo XC70
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Vinsanity

It's that time of year again! :ohyeah:

Obviously I'm pulling for the new CTS to win, but the new C-class seems pretty awesome (at least compared to the last one), the new Audis are beautiful, and the Volvo C30 is pretty cool, too :mrcool:

But keeping in mind MT gave it to the Camry last year, it seems apparent to me that they're just going to hand it to the Accord without a second thought.

What car do you think deserves it?

the Teuton

I think the Malibu will have the most impact as a new car.  I gave it my nod because it brings something new to the table.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

SVT666

The Grand Caravan gets my vote, but we all know the Accord is going to win.

Raza

Audi TT, hands down.  Almost as gorgeous as the old model, but vastly improved.  It went from a hairdresser's car to a real live GT. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

There is nothing particularly worthy this year, IMO.

The two big GMs are only redesigns of cars that were already supposed to have been revolutionary once; the CTS won lots of awards and was hailed as the next big thing before people got tired of the styling and interior, and the Malibu was already COTY once, in 1997. They've already had their chances to be revolutionary.

The Accord is evolutionary, and if anything, evolving in a direction contrary to enthusiast tastes. Also, the Camry just won last year; I can't imagine the two sweeping.

The A5/S5 is also evolutionary, based on an existing car without really adding anything. (Like the G37, though it's not on the list.)

Those are the only ones I could see winning, but maybe they'll pick a wild card and go for the C30.

Vinsanity

WOW I wonder why they didn't have the G37 this year; I'm pretty sure they had the G35 last year :frown:

ifcar

Quote from: Vinsanity on November 15, 2007, 03:47:48 PM
WOW I wonder why they didn't have the G37 this year; I'm pretty sure they had the G35 last year :frown:

You're sure you just didn't miss it when making the poll?

Onslaught

I only like the TT ad Mini. I'd only buy the Mini. Mini it is.

sandertheshark

Malibu has the potential to restore America's place in the mainstream family sedan market, and change a lot of perceptions.  I think it's the most significant car of 2008.  I'll vote for that.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

SaltyDog

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

Vinsanity

Quote from: SaltyDog on November 15, 2007, 04:57:41 PM
See sig :cheers:

hehe...did you get to drive the C30 yet? It's a pretty fun car! Although for me, the clutch took a lot of getting used to :mask:

Raza

Quote from: Vinsanity on November 15, 2007, 05:00:07 PM
hehe...did you get to drive the C30 yet? It's a pretty fun car! Although for me, the clutch took a lot of getting used to :mask:

It breaks no new ground.  It's simply a hatchback that's not all that practical.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza  on November 15, 2007, 05:01:12 PM
It breaks no new ground.  It's simply a hatchback that's not all that practical.

Just how many hatchbacks aren't practical? That sounds like new ground, to me.  :lol:

Raza

Quote from: NACar on November 15, 2007, 05:04:01 PM
Just how many hatchbacks aren't practical? That sounds like new ground, to me.  :lol:

350Z.

:lol:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Eye of the Tiger

TheIntrepid

A5/S5, but the C-Class is close.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Vinsanity

Quote from: Raza  on November 15, 2007, 05:01:12 PM

how is it any less practical than a GTI? :huh:

S204STi

I voted Accord, simply because it seems like a great redesign of a great car.  The Malibu to me is still an unknown quantity, and it seems like the powertrain might let it down.  Otherwise I think it is a strong candidate.

The Impreza is a nice car, but not lightyears ahead of the previous generation in any major way.  I'll wait till they get smart and put a 6spd, direct injection, and a variable vane turbo in it (or at least the first two) before I consider trading into one.

The CTS is also a new car that I like a lot, but while it is an outstanding car by its own merits, and certainly competitive in its class, it's still not the class.

Raza

Quote from: Vinsanity on November 15, 2007, 06:20:19 PM
how is it any less practical than a GTI? :huh:

Boot opening's rather small, isn't it?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

thewizard16

I voted CTS because I think it's an extremely important car for Cadillac, but realistically, I might vote Malibu for similar reasons. If the Accord wins, I'll be about as thrilled as last year when the Camry won.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Vinsanity

Quote from: Raza  on November 15, 2007, 06:26:29 PM
Boot opening's rather small, isn't it?

meh. If it bothered me enough to care, I'd get an Element :lol:

Vinsanity

Quote from: R-inge on November 15, 2007, 06:23:27 PM
The Malibu to me is still an unknown quantity, and it seems like the powertrain might let it down. 

Well, the same engine in the Caddy doesn't let me down at all :lol:

The motor isn't as refined as the TL's, but its powerband is much more useful

Raza

Quote from: Vinsanity on November 15, 2007, 06:30:27 PM
meh. If it bothered me enough to care, I'd get an Element :lol:

I can't find a picture of the GTI with the hatch open. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Vinsanity

The rear bumper seems higher than I remember; I do remember liking how lightweight the glass hatch felt; it helps when loading groceries :lol:

The Caddy, OTOH, for some reason has these high-effort struts that hold up the trunklid, and you'd get quite a workout if you had to open your trunk more than twice a day. An automatic closing mechanism is definitely in order :lol:

omicron

Quote from: Raza  on November 15, 2007, 03:32:22 PM
Audi TT, hands down.  Almost as gorgeous as the old model, but vastly improved.  It went from a hairdresser's car to a real live GT. 

:hesaid:

Not only that, but most of the other cars have at least one obvious shortcoming or the curse of competency working against them. The TT doesn't seem to have any glaring deficiencies; but more importantly, it has moments of brilliance and character.

The C-class has a good chance, and given this is an American magazine, so too the Accord.

TBR

Quote from: sandertheshark on November 15, 2007, 04:50:27 PM
Malibu has the potential to restore America's place in the mainstream family sedan market, and change a lot of perceptions.  I think it's the most significant car of 2008.  I'll vote for that.

I agree. COTY isn't necessarily about the best car (check the sig for the winner of the award :tounge:), but rather it is about the car that will make the biggest impact on the market (or at least that was their excuse for the Camry). Out of this list the Malibu is certainly the most important.

CJ

But the Malibu still doesn't hold a candle to any of its competitors.  It is so far behind everyone in interior quality, it's not even funny.  The interior quality is a joke.