*** Los Angeles Auto Show Part 1 ****

Started by Colin, November 17, 2007, 09:11:39 AM

Colin

Until recently, the Los Angeles Auto Show took place in early January, just days before the much more larger and more influential Detroit Show, and as such, it tended to get few launches, and limited press coverage. In an attempt to fix this, the show was moved to a few weeks before Christmas, and the 2007 show opened to the public yesterday (16th November), and runs for the next 10 days. So, definitely now a few weeks before Detroit, but, sadly, still limited in the number of true new cars which were unveiled. That does not make it a bad show. Far from it, in fact, and I spent a whole day researching the latest models offered to the American market, and was largely untroubled  with much in the wayof crowds. In fact, the show was "very quiet" until about 6pm, at which point it became perhaps just "quiet".

Unlike Frankfurt, which is just huge, the main exhibits here are concentrated in just 2 halls at the LA Convention Centre, with a separate, small hall for Porsche and a slightly larger one for "super cars", and that it is where I begun.

FERRARI

A four car display here, showing off their latest models, all of the lovely.

There was actually one new item here. The familiar 612 Scaglietti is to be produced in a limited edition of 60 cars, called the 612 Sessanta, and here it is:

BENTLEY

Another huge stand, with just three cars on it, starting with the new Continental Speed

Also featured were the more familiar Flying Spur, and the rather stately looking Arnage

ASTON MARTIN

Unsurprisingly, pride of place here was given to the new DBS. As I see this car in the metal again, its looks are growing on me, and we now know from those lucky enough to have driven it just how special it really is

LAMBORGHINI

Another car whose looks are growing on me is the very exclusinve Reventon, which had centre stage on this stand. Maybe it was displayed in better light than it was in Frankfurt? Certainly, it was easier to get a good view, and it does look particularly menacing, and although clearly from the Lambo family, different in all details, when you compare it with the Murcielago and the Gallardo.

SPYKER

Not such a familiar supercar brand, perhaps, but from an appearance point of view, fully justifying their presence in this hall where 4 amazing looking variants.

ROLLS-ROYCE

Another showing for the new Drophead. I still cannot quite get over just how enormous this car is, and yet how elegant it manages to look.

MORGAN

Not in the main supercar hall, but in a small display in the corridor were 2 Morgans. Both of the show cars were the more modern versions of the traditional Brit.

That was it for the "supercars", so then I headed into the smaller of the 2 main halls, the South one.

CHRYSLER and DODGE

A huge display area here, as you would expect. 2 of the cars that they recently announced would be culled from the range were not on display - so, no Crossfire and no PT Cruiser Cabrio, but the Pacifica and the Magnum were much in evidence. Largest number of display cars, unsurprisingly, were the new Minivans, the Dodge Grand Caravan and the Chrysler Town and Country, which are now on sale, and which semeed to look less boxy than they did when show as pre-production models at New York back in April. The interior trim quality looked to have taken a step forward, too. Indeed, it needed this, just to get anywhere close to any of its market competitors.

Less impressive inside is the rather oddly styled Sebring, now well established in the mid-sized market.

The sister model Avenger was also there, of course

Latest offering, not yet on sale is the Dodge Journey, a neat, but rather inoffensive looking crossover.

Not new, but still interesting is the concept Chrysler Nassau.

Hybrid versions of the large SUVs were announced. That is the Dodge Durango and the Chrysler Aspen

Facing an uncertain future, the PT Cruiser was still on show, and attracting a surprising amount of interest for such an established model

JEEP

Newly launched is the new Liberty. Looking like a squared-off version of the outgoing model, this car has not had a particularly good set of reviews from the US press, who like the chunky looks and the off-road capabilities, but are less than impressed by the poor quality finish inside and the dynamics.

Various versions of the traditional Wrangler were on show.

The smaller Jeeps, launched in 2006 have had a mixed reaction. Everyone seems to favour the Patriot over the Compass

KIA

Fast improving Kia put on an large showing, with 2 concept cars. There were supposed to be 3, but the Kee, as seen at Frankfurt, came loose in the shipping container, and was too badly damaged to be able to be shown, so visitors had to be content witg these 2 offerings. The white one, the Soul, is alleged to be very close to a production model which will be launched in 2008.

Current models were also in evidence:

MITSUBISHI

A large stand, with lots of production cars crammed in, but pride of place went to one concept car, and the new Lancer range.

As well as showing the new Lancer Evo, some of the older models were also on display,to emphasise the heritage of this model.

AUDI

One of the show unveilings was this concept car, a convertible version of the forthcoming Q5. Form your own opinion about the looks........... it did not appeal to me, especially in that rather startling bronze paint finish!

The rest of the stand featured an array of production models, all finished in silver, except for the much acclaimed R8

VW

The latest version of the Up! concept was here. This being the US, where more room for everything is required (!), the people carrier version, the Space Up! was presented. It was getting a lot of attention, and the views I heard seemed to be very positive

VW is one of the few manufacturers offering diesel engined cars in the US, and they were making a big play of this with the latest version of the Jetta.

Also on show was the Tiguan.

Production models included the Passat, on display in red, which is not the most common colour for this car, certainly in Europe

Vinsanity

Did you go on a press day (before they open it up to the public)? I thought today was the first day they're opening it up to the public...I'm planning to go probably on Tuesday morning/afternoon where the crowds will hopefully not be so cumbersome

Colin

I went yesterday (Fri 16th) which was the first public day. There were pleasingly few people there, as you can see in the photos! Got a bit busier at about 6pm ( I was there from 12 noon), but mot much........

Enjoy!

Vinsanity

cool thanks :ohyeah:

I was gonna take pics and post them also, but I sure am glad you did it, because it was real tricky trying to take pics with huge crowds in your way

nickdrinkwater

Great pics, thanks for taking the time...

Tave

What was that first Mistsu?

That convertible Audi does look strange, but I bet it'd be killer to ride in. Hard or softtop?

I also liked the Kia concepts and that Nassau, but not so much the frontend.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.