*** Los Angeles Auto Show - Part 2 ****

Started by Colin, November 17, 2007, 09:12:11 AM

Colin

NISSAN

No surprise that some of the largest crowds in the show were to be found here. And no prizes for guessing which of the newcomers on the stand was attracting all the attention. Yes, indeed, the GT-R was a real crowd-puller.

Alongside it was also a brand new model, the 2009 Murano. Hardly anyone seemed to notice. The interior looks much better, but I am not convinced that the changes to the outside are an improvement.

More familiar offerings included the Altima Coupe:

and the X-Terra

and the Rogue, closely related to the European Qashqai

The Sentra:

And the Versa

CADILLAC

Lots of interest in the new CTS. This was a car I did want to see, not least to ascertain whether the interior quality really is as good as it looks in the pictures. After waiting quite a while to get in one, I can report that while Audi need not yet be worried, it is a big step forward.

All the other models in the range were on display, too, including the traditional DTS and STS large sedans.

"Green" was an omni-present theme, and everyone seemed to have jumped on this bandwagon, including Cadillac who had a Hybrid version of the monster Escalade to show us.

CHEVROLET

Not a lot that was truly new here, but several of the concept cars from the last year or so staged a reappearance, including the baby trio:

Coming soon, as a production car, is a face-lifted version of the Aveo hatchback. This one will be sold in Europe, too, replacing the Kalos.

Chevrolet were also promoting the green credentials of ther largest models, the Suburban anbd Tahoe with new hybrid offerings

The Volt concept was here again. We are promised a production version of something like this in 2010

Still lots of interest in the Camaro, and it still seems like it is a long way off from production. 2009 is the year, we are told.

Available right now is the new Malibu, a conservative mid-sized sedan that has been generally well reviewed. A future rental car staple, despite what Chevy would want, so I look forward to forming my own views in the not too distant future!

More familiar is the Cobalt, offered in saloon and coupe forms:

HYUNDAI

Another previously unseen car, and promised in production form for 2009 was the Genesis Coupe

Hyundai were also showing the Veloster concept car that made its debut at Frankfurt.

Plenty of production cars, too. The latest Elantra was launched a year ago, but has never made it to Europe.

SUBARU

Ah, Subaru. Home of the styling triumphs! Big focus on the new Impreza, of course, with every model on display from the entry level version, to the STI models.

BUICK

Nothing here that was previously unseen, and still a stand where the average age of the clientele seemed to be well into retirement. Produciton models of the super-charged cars were on show, including this LaCrosse

PONTIAC

Show newcomer is the new Vibe. Not, in my opinion, a styling succes, though its twin brother, the Matrix, is far clumsier. The interior did look like it has advanced a lot in terms of quality, though

Rather more to my taste is the Solstice. Now available in a GXP version with the power that was so missing from the early models

Pontiac also have a small coupee, the G5, which is a close relative to the Checy Cobalt.

SATURN

The Astra is now on sale, replacing the rather mediocre Ion. Costing more money, for a smaller car, and a hatch at that, it will be interesting to see how this car succeeds in the US market

A few weeks ago, I drove the mid-sized Aura, and was impressed

ACURA

Nothing new here, and Acura is deliberately positioned as completely separate to Honda, but this did catch my eye, as an image booster

BMW

Large crowds here, and it did not take long to figure out what they were all looking at!

The 1-series was making its US debut, too.

SAAB

Lots of the newly facelifted 9.3 were on show.

The US-only 9.7X was there, too.

nickdrinkwater

The new Hyundai Coupe looks really nice.  Looking forward to seeing that one.

Can't see the pics starting from the 1-Series though...

Tave

You can get a sunroof on a M3 4-door? That's tight.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.