*** Los Angeles Auto Show - Part 3 *****

Started by Colin, November 17, 2007, 09:12:50 AM

Colin

TOYOTA

Attracting most attention on this stand were the simluators, but there were actually 3 brand new models. Most important in sales terms, were the new Corolla and Matrix. The former looks like a cross between the old model and the Camry, and the latter looks like someone turned the rather unganily Solara into something rather unpleasant.

Also on show for the first time is the new Sequoia, the largest of the SUV range that Toyota sell.

A further newcomer is the hybrid version of the latest Highlander.

The FJ Cruiser is well established in the US now, but the pick-up version is new.

FORD

Surprisingly low key effort here, with not a lot that was new. The one car that is, is the 2009 Ford Flex, the production version of the Fairlane concept car from a couple of years ago.

The rebranded cars were here, too. Ford is hoping that the Taurus name has positive connotations.............. I am not so sure, even if brand recoginition is stronger than Freestyle, which is the former name for this one

and this is the car formerly known as Five Hundred.

Several versions of the new Focus were here. The initial pictures made this look appalling, but in the metal, it is not as bad as I feared. It's a new body on the first generation Focus, still, and has just gone on sale as a 4 door sedan and a 2 door "Coupe".

Rather more alarming was this version of the Edge crossover

Nothing new from Mustang-land. The wildest version on show was the GT500KR.

Ford had some of their trucks on display, too, in various sizes!

LINCOLN

Another true newcomer is the MKS. Replacing the long-lived Town Car, this looks like a big leap forward, though the prose that was being spouted by the guy on the turntable with it definitely won the prize for the worst nonsense I heard all day (and there was plenty of competition). I should have recorded the phrases he used about lythe and thrusting lines around the wheel arches denoting thrusting progress through the something or other............  I said it was complete nonsense!

Other models on show included the MKX, a posh version of the Ford Edge

MERCURY

Earlier in the year, the Escape and Mariner twins were "toughened" up in the styling domain. Of the 2, I'd say that the Mariner looks less ridiculous, with its waterfall grille.

Mid-sized family motoring from Mercury comes from the Milan.

Mercury did a rebranding, too, and the Montego has been rechristened Sable

MAZDA

A competition was taking place, here, with a real clay styling model being produced. As this was day 1 of the show, they still had a long way to go!

A Cosmo from 1967 was a reminded that Mazda have had rotary engines for 40 years now.

The CX-7 and CX-9, hard to tell apart at a glance, were on show. The latter has just been voted SUV of the year by "Motor Trend" magazine in their giant SUV test of the year.

JAGUAR

A lone turntable-d example of the XF was on show here. I wonder whether this car will succeed in the vital US market or not. Comments I heard were not universally positive, with many saying it looks like a Lexus, and many complaining it is not a traditional Jag look - something I thought Jaguar market research had proved was a problem not an asset?

LAND ROVER

Nothing new here, but all the range were on show, including the LR2

VOLVO

As part of the "green" theme, Volvo were showing the electric concept version of the C30 that they wheeled out at Frankfurt.

Newest production model is the latest V70.

SUZUKI

One novelty here, the Makai:

HONDA

Pride of place here, on a stand with a huge focus on the environment, was the FCX Clairty, which will go on controlled availability mid 2008, on a lease-only basis.

Honda has a different image in the US to Europe, with the average age of its owners much lower, and the Mugen-Honda Civic targets that affluent youth very well.

In sales terms, the new Accord is clearly far more significant. The latest model was launched in the summer and it appears to be "more of the same". Slightly bigger, totally inoffensive, but not exactly exciting!

MERCEDES-BENZ

As if to emphasise the divorce, about as far from the Chrysler stand as you could get!

This is the launch for the new C Class, including the C63 AMG

Plenty of other Mercs to look at, too, to suit all price brackets!

LEXUS

Earlier in the day, my ears had been treated to the sound of an IS-F out on the road. What a glorious sound. Lexus clearly thought that the show go-ers should get this, too, so they had rigged up an example on a rolling road, and every few minutes were giving it every rev they could.

There were a couple of examples on the main show stand, too.

About to go on sale is the latest large Lexus SUV, the GX570

PORSCHE

In a hall all by themselves, a display of Stuttgart's finest

Overall, then, although there was not a lot of previously unseen material - and most of what there was, frankly, was visually unappealing! - a good day out!

TheIntrepid

Nice pics. I can't see anything past the Lexus IS-F though.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Vinsanity

At first, I didn't care for the new Jag, but the more I see it, the more I like it. It looks pretty gorgeous to me in those pics :wub: but I hope it doesn't cost more than my current automotive crush, the Mercedes CLS.

cawimmer430

Nice pics!  :rockon:

The Mazda Cosmos is so rare! Did Mazda ship that thing over from Japan itself or is there some private owner in the US?
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Submariner

I think the Jaguar XF looks great.  Problem is, it looks nothing like a Jaguar. 

I do hope it brings sales success to them, though.  The recent XJ and XK efforts have been phenomenal.  I doubt this will be anything less. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

nickdrinkwater

Great pics again.

Lincoln and Mercury are in real trouble by the looks of things. 

ChrisV

Quote from: Submariner on November 18, 2007, 11:46:40 AM
I think the Jaguar XF looks great.  Problem is, it looks nothing like a Jaguar. 

I do hope it brings sales success to them, though.  The recent XJ and XK efforts have been phenomenal.  I doubt this will be anything less. 

I'm predicting it will be like the BMW revamp under Bangle. Traditionalists hated it, but it brought in new buyers and they are more successful than ever. Jag traditionalists will probably hate the new one, but it'll undoubtably bring in new buyers.

But the comments are reinforcing what I originally said, Jag sedans have a tradition of style tracing back to the '50s, Abandoning that may be a bad move, even with Ian Callum's gorgeous non-traditional design.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Submariner

Quote from: ChrisV on November 19, 2007, 06:52:23 AM
I'm predicting it will be like the BMW revamp under Bangle. Traditionalists hated it, but it brought in new buyers and they are more successful than ever. Jag traditionalists will probably hate the new one, but it'll undoubtably bring in new buyers.

But the comments are reinforcing what I originally said, Jag sedans have a tradition of style tracing back to the '50s, Abandoning that may be a bad move, even with Ian Callum's gorgeous non-traditional design.

Who is it going to hurt?  The 7 people currently in line to buy a new Jaguar? 

The XJ and XK are undoubtedly some of the better vehicles in their class (in fact, some time soon I'll post my argument for the XJ being best in class, and one of the best sedans made in the past 15 years)  It's strange that I, being a 20 something who likes metal and rap likes the "traditional" styling of their cars; save for the XK.  Perhaps I just appreciate it because of my automotive knowledge, etc.

I'm not happy with this move.  I find "traditional" Jaguar style to be so elegant, and even dare I say, sporty.  The lines in current Jags are even refreshing in a world of bangleized butts and swept back front ends.

Jaguar needs this car, much like Cadillac needed the CTS.  It certainly was a drastic change in direction for them, and I'm sure it ruffled new feathers.  But it brought in new customers.  Thats whats important here.  Jaguar needs a new base because quite frankly, they don't have much of one at all.       
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Catman

Excellent pics Colin, thanks for sharing them. :rockon: