2005 Mercedes-Benz SLK350 vs. 2005 Porsche Boxster

Started by BMWDave, July 04, 2005, 08:13:35 AM

BMWDave

Double Take: 2005 Mercedes-Benz SLK350 vs. 2005 Porsche Boxster
Two-seater Tango: Mercedes raises the SLK?s game to battle Porsche?s benchmark Boxster

Link with Article

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

TBR

No surprises, the Boxster is a better car, but it is also much more expensive. Start loading on the options and you're quickly in 911 territory.  

ifcar

TBR

QuoteNot 911 convertible territory though.
It can happen, but the coupe is my 911 choice anyway.

ifcar

You can price a 3-Series into 5-Series territory as well, and a 5-Series into 7-Series territory. It's all about the feature content.  

TBR

You can price a 3-Series into 5-Series territory as well, and a 5-Series into 7-Series territory. It's all about the feature content.
My point is that you can option out a Boxster to $75000-$80000 without much problem, I know I would take a 911 with a few less options over a Boxster any day.

ifcar

My point is that you can option out a Boxster to $75000-$80000 without much problem, I know I would take a 911 with a few less options over a Boxster any day.
But if you didn't want the options, you could just get a less-expensive Boxster.

TBR

But if you didn't want the options, you could just get a less-expensive Boxster.
Yes, but it will still be considerably more expensive than the SLK and I do want a few options.

ifcar

Yes, but it will still be considerably more expensive than the SLK and I do want a few options.
What's the price difference between an SLK with the options you want, a Boxster with the options you want, and the 911 with the options you want?

TBR

A Boxster would be $65000, a 911 would be $75000, and a SLK350 would be $51000. So, upgrading to the Boxster from the SLK would be more expensive than going from the Boxster to the 911.  

Raghavan

I'd take the upcoming Cayman S over any Boxter, SLK, or 911.

Raghavan

double post.

BMWDave

QuoteI'd take the upcoming Cayman S over any Boxter, SLK, or 911.
Any 911 (that includes the GT2)?

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

yeah.

TBR

yeah.
That makes no sense, you would take a 295hp car over a 456hp car?  

BMWDave

yeah.
why (just curious)?

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

yeah.
It's my opinion. if someone gave me a choice, it'd be the Cayman S. it makes sense to me. if it doesn't for you, then that's just tough luck.

BMWDave

yeah.
477hp ;)  

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

yeah.
why (just curious)?
well, i've never driven any of those cars, but the cayman s's handling is supposed to be superb, and i like it's looks. i've always wanted a boxter coupe, and now there's one.
infact, i'd even want this over a Carrera GT. it's the only porsche i want.

BMWDave

yeah.
It's my opinion. if someone gave me a choice, it'd be the Cayman S. it makes sense to me. if it doesn't for you, then that's just tough luck.
Care to explain your reasoning instead of just saying tough luck?

Never mind...I didnt see the above post when I posted this.

2007 Honda S2000

BMWDave

yeah.
why (just curious)?
well, i've never driven any of those cars, but the cayman s's handling is supposed to be superb, and i like it's looks. i've always wanted a boxter coupe, and now there's one.
The Carrera GT is also midengined, has more than twice the power of the Cayman, and looks 100 times better to boot.

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

yeah.

i didn't respond because TBR was being a chump. it's my opinion, and he doesn't have to walk all over it by saying that it makes no sense.

Raghavan

yeah.
why (just curious)?
The Carrera GT is also midengined, has more than twice the power of the Cayman, and looks 100 times better to boot.
once again, it's a matter of opinion. I'd take a lotus elise over a Mclaren F1. i like small, lightweight, lowpowered cars over superexotics.
It's like how if you give ifcar $100k, he'll get a Sienna.   :lol:  

TBR

yeah.

i didn't respond because TBR was being a chump. it's my opinion, and he doesn't have to walk all over it by saying that it makes no sense.
Dave asks me all the time why I have a certain opinion and I don't get offended, this is the same case. I was just curious more than anything. I would like to note that the Cayman probably doesn't weigh much, if any, less than the Carrera GT.  

Raghavan

yeah.

Dave asks me all the time why I have a certain opinion and I don't get offended, this is the same case. I was just curious more than anything. I would like to note that the Cayman probably doesn't weigh much, if any, less than the Carrera GT.
200 lbs, i think.
and you always ask dave why he keeps questioning about other peoples opinions.

BMWDave

yeah.

A carrera GT weighs 3042 pounds, while a Cayman S weighs 3100 pounds.   The CGT is lighter by 58 pounds.

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

yeah.

A carrera GT weighs 3042 pounds, while a Cayman S weighs 3100 pounds.   The CGT is lighter by 58 pounds.
i thought the carrera gt was 3100lbs, and that the cayman s was supposed to be 2900 lbs?

BMWDave

C/D said the curb weight of the Cayman S was 3100 pounds.  

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

QuoteC/D said the curb weight of the Cayman S was 3100 pounds.
bah, i still like the cayman s better than the carrera gt.