The next Ford F-150!

Started by gasoline, November 20, 2007, 10:04:17 AM

GoCougs

Who cares what it looks like - trucks are about the specs. C'mon Ford - let's see some numbers.

ifcar

Is that really so important that you had to say it twice?

Never mind the fact that these are photos someone else took, and that Ford has not actually unveiled the truck. :rolleyes:

SVT666

A 6.2L V8 is being developed with a minimum of 425 hp.

GoCougs

I'll believe 425hp when I see it. Engine power really hasn't been Ford's strong suit the last couple of decades.

I'm surprised that this hasn't been brought up: why pictures and no specs? Let's see some specs.

Nebtek2002

We need a new or revised Ranger. This thing's uselessly huge for city delivery.

Stuff like this is obsolete. Smaller and lighter are the future of commercial vehicles.

ifcar

Quote from: GoCougs on November 22, 2007, 09:49:18 AM

I'm surprised that this hasn't been brought up: why pictures and no specs? Let's see some specs.

As I said in the post two above yours, there are no specs because Ford hasn't released anything about this truck. A spy photographer can take a picture, but he can't get the specs.

SVT666

Quote from: Nebtek2002 on November 22, 2007, 10:13:42 AM

Stuff like this is obsolete. Smaller and lighter are the future of commercial vehicles.

This isn't a commercial vehicle.  The vast majority of F-150s are bought by individuals or families for personal use.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on November 22, 2007, 09:49:18 AM
I'll believe 425hp when I see it. Engine power really hasn't been Ford's strong suit the last couple of decades.
Ford Boss V8
Manufacturer: Ford Motor Company
Also called: Ford Hurricane V8
Production: 2008?
Predecessor: 385 V8
Modular V8
The Boss engine is a forthcoming all new large-displacement V8 engine project at Ford Motor Company. The engine project was reportedly canceled in 2005 as the company focused on its existing Modular V8 and V10, but was reportedly revived in early 2006 by Mark Fields. [1] The large engine will compete with DaimlerChrysler's 6.1 L and larger Hemi and General Motors' 6.2 L Vortec engines. The Boss V8 will be built at Cleveland Engine in Cleveland, Ohio and the first application will be Ford's new 2009 (likely a late availability 2009 or 2010 model year option) F-Series pickup trucks produced at Dearborn Truck.

The Boss engine will reportedly displace 6.2 L (6207 cc/379 in?) and produce roughly 425 hp (317 kW) and 425 ft lbs (576 N?m) upon introduction. The engine architecture will offer the ability to exceed 7.0 L in future applications. Insider reports indicate the Boss will retain several design similarities with the Modular V8 such as deep skirt block with cross bolted main caps, crankshaft driven gerotor oil pump, and overhead camshaft valve train arrangement. The Boss' single most significant departure from the Modular V8 will be the seen in the significantly wider 4.53 in (115 mm) bore centerline (The Modular V8 is 3.94 in (100 mm) by comparison). The 6.2 L will reportedly employ a 4.015 in (102 mm) bore diameter and a 3.74 in (95 mm) stroke to achieve it's 6.2 L of displacement. The initial versions of the Boss will have single overhead camshafts, two valves per cylinder, two spark plugs per cylinder, and employ a form of cylinder deactivation for increased fuel economy. Initial information on valve sizes of the 6.2 L puts the intake valve at 2.10 in and the exhaust valve at 1.65 in. [2] Later high-performance versions will be equipped with DOHC 4-valve heads and Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI). A "TwinForce" 6.2 L DOHC 4-valve, twin-turbo, GDI version of the Boss is currently being developed and has reportedly produced over 650 ft?lbs (881 N?m) in initial testing.

Roush Racing is currently field testing an experimental, large displacement version of the Boss engine code named "777", which stands for 7.0 L, 700 hp @ 7,000 rpm, at National Mustang Racers Association (NMRA) events around the United States. The 777 Boss is naturally aspirated and runs on E85 biofuel.

TBR

What is the bloody point of 425hp in a half ton truck? Hell, heavy duty trucks don't need that much power. I would much prefer the focus on fuel economy instead of power, the current 5.4l would be fine with a 6AT.

SVT666

Quote from: TBR on November 22, 2007, 11:05:10 AM
What is the bloody point of 425hp in a half ton truck? Hell, heavy duty trucks don't need that much power. I would much prefer the focus on fuel economy instead of power, the current 5.4l would be fine with a 6AT.
I agree.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: TBR on November 22, 2007, 11:05:10 AM

What does it currently use, 5AT? Would a CVT benefit fuel economy on trucks?

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

TBR

4AT. And, I'd think so but durability would be a huge issue.

SVT666

Quote from: TheIntrepid on November 22, 2007, 11:52:43 AM
What does it currently use, 5AT? Would a CVT benefit fuel economy on trucks?
I think more gears are not the answer in pickups.  My truck hunts for gears like crazy on hills and so do the other full sizers I've driven except the old trucks that had 4 speed autos.  More gears = more gear hunting...and that sucks.

TBR

If done correctly gear hunting won't be an issue and the result will be better performance and fuel economy (see Expedition).

GoCougs

Quote from: HEMI666 on November 22, 2007, 10:31:18 AM
Ford Boss V8
Manufacturer: Ford Motor Company
Also called: Ford Hurricane V8
Production: 2008?
Predecessor: 385 V8
Modular V8

No offense, but that blurb sounds like unbridled fanboy propoganda. Other than waiting for the truck itself to debut, you'll have to show me an official Ford press release stating that the new truck will debut with 425hp.

As an aside, what an indictment that Ford would spend all that money on a completely new OHC engine family, yet saddle it with 2-valve heads.

GoCougs

Quote from: TBR on November 22, 2007, 11:57:06 AM
If done correctly gear hunting won't be an issue and the result will be better performance and fuel economy (see Expedition).

Yep. More gears the better - and automakers have shown that it ain't hard to get it right.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on November 22, 2007, 01:02:58 PM
No offense, but that blurb sounds like unbridled fanboy propoganda. Other than waiting for the truck itself to debut, you'll have to show me an official Ford press release stating that the new truck will debut with 425hp.

Everyone said the same thing about your beloved 381 hp Tundra...remember?

Is this a facelift or a new truck?

I'm not a fan of the ricer tail lamps, or the bling bling chrome wheels, or the weird looking headlamps.

I'm just not a fan of this thing in general.

SVT666

Quote from: 565 on November 22, 2007, 02:23:13 PM
Is this a facelift or a new truck?

I'm not a fan of the ricer tail lamps, or the bling bling chrome wheels, or the weird looking headlamps.

I'm just not a fan of this thing in general.
I can't tell what the taillights actually look like, but the wheels suck.  I hate big chrome wheels on trucks.

ifcar

Taillights look very Ridgeline.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: R-inge on November 20, 2007, 11:38:07 AM
Not digging the new corporate grill on this one...or any of the others, for that matter.
+1
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Nebtek2002 on November 22, 2007, 10:13:42 AM

I heard Ford is cancelling the Ranger.

Gotta-Qik-C7