Van Speedo

Started by AutobahnSHO, November 21, 2007, 12:15:09 PM

AutobahnSHO

So I'm leaving again tomorrow and can't do anything about it anyways, but figured I'd ask-    :hammerhead:

The speedo on my 92 Voyager sometimes doesn't work.  Everything else runs fine but it either stays flatlined or you're driving along and it all of a sudden jumps up to whatever speed you're driving. If it doesn't work, turning the van off then restarting usually fixes it.

I think I read the speedo is electronic from the ECU, any ideas on how to fix this?
I dont' care how fast I'm going but if I try to sell next year the safety inspection will be teh suxx if it doesn't work  :rage:
Will

3.0L V6

Assuming 4-spd automatic transmission - There's an output speed sensor on the transmission. It can be swapped without too much hassle. It sounds like it's flaking out.

Search around www.allpar.com in the forum area to get an idea of what's required

JWC

I think "Van Speedo" makes a good screen name, at least.

3.0 is correct about a VSS.  Usually it will also cause erratic trans shifts.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: JWC on November 21, 2007, 04:20:12 PM
I think "Van Speedo" makes a good screen name, at least.

Conjures up images of a hairy German guy wearing a banana hammock and one of the WWI pointy-topped helmets.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

AutobahnSHO

LOL

Thanks for the help guys.

I will be a little sad when I get rid of that minivan (yeah I know)- it was the 3rd and last vehicle I pwned the Autobahn with...
--It really drives like crap though compared to my newer Mini or even up-armored SUVs...
Will

TBR

The Neon had some faulty soldering on the instrument cluster that caused similar issues (this common problem raised its ugly head 3 miles away from the seller's house, luckily it was a free fix), it might be worth researching that since your van is a similar era Chrysler product.

On a side note, on rare occasion my Prelude's speedo will also jump a little, it is really odd in that it almost never happens and seems to otherwise be accurate.

S204STi

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 21, 2007, 12:15:09 PM
So I'm leaving again tomorrow and can't do anything about it anyways, but figured I'd ask-    :hammerhead:

The speedo on my 92 Voyager sometimes doesn't work.  Everything else runs fine but it either stays flatlined or you're driving along and it all of a sudden jumps up to whatever speed you're driving. If it doesn't work, turning the van off then restarting usually fixes it.

I think I read the speedo is electronic from the ECU, any ideas on how to fix this?
I dont' care how fast I'm going but if I try to sell next year the safety inspection will be teh suxx if it doesn't work  :rage:

If it's anything like GM instrument panels, the stepper motor in the cluster is bad and you'll have to replace the entire cluster pack.  Kinda pricey, too.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: R-inge on November 23, 2007, 07:56:18 AM
If it's anything like GM instrument panels, the stepper motor in the cluster is bad and you'll have to replace the entire cluster pack.  Kinda pricey, too.
Ruh Roh Raggy....

It seems to me (amateur I know) that it's an intermittent signal getting to the cluster though- wouldnt a bad motor show signs of weakness? (like the window motor that needs help sometimes going back up... still haven't gotten around to that...)

This is always a "works or doesn't work", nothing in between.
Will

Eye of the Tiger

My '94 Duster had a retarded speedo, but it was a 5-spd. When it didn't work, I'd just floor it and go as fast as I could, and then it would start working again at some point so I'd have to slow down. LOLZ. I think it was the speed senor in the trans, but I never bothered to fix it.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)