Another dilemma...

Started by Raza , November 21, 2007, 04:35:40 PM

Raza

Looks like I can sell the Passat to my local dealer for over KBB value and move into a new VW if I wanted to.  I don't know how this will impact my lease (obviously, if it doesn't get me out of payments, I won't do it), but assuming it frees me from my lease contract, what do you guys think I should do?  I have four weeks to make my decision. 

1.  Sell the car back and get a new car, although seemingly the deal is contingent on the new car being a Volkswagen, which isn't a huge problem, but it really limits my options.  There are no Volkswagen Honda Civic Si sedans!

2.  Keep the car until the end of the lease and buy whatever I want. 

If 1. what car should I get?  Rabbit S is the obvious choice, but I saw a new Passat and I really love the car from certain angles.  The Jetta is a choice as well, though I see no reason to get it over the Rabbit (but then again, I see no reason to get the Passat 6, since I have all the room I need in the B5, and the B6 is even larger, whereas the Jetta is slightly cozier, but not significantly smaller.  But the Passat would be a 2.0T, and I do like turbochargers. 

Thanks for the advice guys.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raghavan

How much longer till the lease expires?

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Soup DeVille

If it helps your decision any, due to some unfortunate events (nothing horrible), I probably will be keeping the Si for some time to come.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

CALL_911

Wouldn't the obvious choice be a GTI/GLI?

Or am I missing something here?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Raza

Don't think I can afford one optioned the way I'd like.  Last time I built a GTI it was about twenty seven grand.  GLI would probably be a grand or so more.  If I can get an on lot used car, and they have an R32 I'll jump on that like Lindsay Lohan jumps on a baggie of blow stuffed in a bottle of Jack.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raghavan

Quote from: Raza  on November 21, 2007, 04:56:18 PM
9 months, give or take.
I would wait it out and buy the car of your choice. If it turns out to be a VW, then you're still not losing anything and you have the option to buy non-VW's.

CALL_911

Quote from: Raza  on November 21, 2007, 05:19:09 PM
Don't think I can afford one optioned the way I'd like.  Last time I built a GTI it was about twenty seven grand.  GLI would probably be a grand or so more.  If I can get an on lot used car, and they have an R32 I'll jump on that like Lindsay Lohan jumps on a baggie of blow stuffed in a bottle of Jack.

If you could afford a B6 Passat, how could you not afford a GTI?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Raza

B6 Passat's pretty affordable, and well equipped at a low price.  GTI doesn't offer leatherette, whereas the Passat does.  The GTI/GLI gets hurt in price because of the lack of individual options.  Packages are killers.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

CALL_911

They don't have the 2.0T in the Jetta anymore.

Hmmm, they don't have GTI's on their lot to your liking?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CJ

They don't have the 2.0T in the Jetta anymore.

Raza, I think you should just get a Rabbit.

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CJ

I thought you were asking a question.  Sorry.

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

3.0L V6

I'd imagine breaking a lease results in some substantial fees.

3.0L V6

CALL_911

Quote from: 3.0L V6 on November 21, 2007, 07:30:03 PM
Rabbit S is my vote

For now, yeah. If he finds a used GTI, JUMP ON THAT SHIT.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Raza

I'll be checking the dealer out on Friday.  With this "Sign, then drive" thing combine with this, it might mean that they're willing to deal.  I can almost smell the desperation.

Ro:  I haven't checked the dealer lot yet.  If something looks right and they are willing to make it move, I could make it move.  Big problem is that the sunroof and leather are in two different packages, incurring extra cost in extras.  I don't want satnav or anything and I've lived this long after losing heated seats, I can deal with not having them in my daily driver again.  Fucking packages, though.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

CALL_911

Quote from: Raza  on November 21, 2007, 07:46:58 PM
I'll be checking the dealer out on Friday.  With this "Sign, then drive" thing combine with this, it might mean that they're willing to deal.  I can almost smell the desperation.

Ro:  I haven't checked the dealer lot yet.  If something looks right and they are willing to make it move, I could make it move.  Big problem is that the sunroof and leather are in two different packages, incurring extra cost in extras.  I don't want satnav or anything and I've lived this long after losing heated seats, I can deal with not having them in my daily driver again.  Fucking packages, though.

Oh. That is t3h suxx0rs. Does this whole deal apply to Audis too?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Raza

"If it helps your decision any, due to some unfortunate events (nothing horrible), I probably will be keeping the Si for some time to come."

Poopface! 

Everything okay?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Raza  on November 21, 2007, 07:52:18 PM
"If it helps your decision any, due to some unfortunate events (nothing horrible), I probably will be keeping the Si for some time to come."

Poopface! 

Everything okay?

With me, yes.

The in-laws however have come upon some bad luck, and I'll be needing to make them a personal loan of sorts.

No problem really, but that is the money I was planning on putting down on the new car. It's either drive the civic for another six months to a year or postpone the caddy's rehab.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

omicron

A wise decision on your part not to postpone the rehabilitation of the Cadillac, or I'd be on your doorstep with something intimidatingly sharp.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: omicron on November 21, 2007, 09:29:32 PM
A wise decision on your part not to postpone the rehabilitation of the Cadillac, or I'd be on your doorstep with something intimidatingly sharp.

I'm already behind schedule (Damn offsprings and their silly needs). I would rather still drive a car I like but is getting a little long in the tooth than buy a new car and have the Caddy sit in the garage for another year.

Raghavan

Quote from: omicron on November 21, 2007, 09:29:32 PM
Hopefully to puncture the Caddy's tires and to poke holes in the radiator.

omicron

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 21, 2007, 09:32:30 PM
I'm already behind schedule (Damn offsprings and their silly needs). I would rather still drive a car I like but is getting a little long in the tooth than buy a new car and have the Caddy sit in the garage for another year.

Send them all to camp, or something? I hear the military is always after recruits, no matter how young and defenceless.

omicron

Quote from: Raghavan on November 21, 2007, 09:34:28 PM

I am now coming after you with my intimidatingly sharp instrument.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Raghavan on November 21, 2007, 09:34:28 PM

hat's it: you're off my christmas card list!

Raghavan

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 21, 2007, 09:37:29 PM
I was planning on stealing that Si anyways. :devil:

Raghavan

Quote from: omicron on November 21, 2007, 09:36:34 PM
I am now coming after you with my intimidatingly sharp instrument.
By the time you get to my house, you'd be so drunk off of those free airplane alcoholic beverages, you wouldn't be able to stab me anyways. :huh;

:lol:

omicron

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 21, 2007, 09:37:29 PM

They're such quaint little cards, too.