Corolla Heater

Started by TheIntrepid, November 24, 2007, 12:38:33 PM

TheIntrepid

The heater on my recently acquired Corolla only works with the fan set on "HI". It never works on the other settings. Why is this, and how easy is it to fix?

Here's the type of climate control it has... random pic from the net

:( :( :(

Fucking POS.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

deesea

why are you trying to fix it? its not even yours...and if its such a POS then why bother? just leave it on high.
So I'm Gonna start a revolution from my bed - Noel Gallagher

Raghavan

I like how you just got a free car for a couple of months and are still complaining about it. :rolleyes:

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Raghavan on November 24, 2007, 12:49:15 PM
I like how you just got a free car for a couple of months and are still complaining about it. :rolleyes:

If it's cheap enough to fix and make my life easier for a bit, I wouldn't mind putting some money into it (under $35 or so)

280Z Turbo

Why are you driving someone else's car?

If you get into an accident with it, their insurance probably won't cover it.

Danish

Quote from: TheIntrepid on November 24, 2007, 12:38:33 PM

Fucking POS.

You shut your dirty whore mouth

Corollas are teh pwn!
Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Danish on November 24, 2007, 12:56:57 PM
You shut your dirty whore mouth

Corollas are teh pwn!

Don't you have one?

Danish

Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

Eye of the Tiger

High is the only speed you need. I don't see what the problem is.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

CALL_911

Quote from: NACar on November 24, 2007, 10:20:24 PM
High is the only speed you need. I don't see what the problem is.

The Trep was on superfastlol. He needs that, n00b.  :rolleyes:

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CALL_911

+1

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CALL_911 on November 24, 2007, 10:23:36 PM
The Trep was on superfastlol. He needs that, n00b.  :rolleyes:

z0MG, sry guise. The Audi's blower fan is completely non-functional at the moment, but you don't see me making all kinda thread about it! I just treated the windows with anti-fog and crank up the heated seats! z0mg, those seats get so hot! They practically heat the whole car. Trep, u shud just put heated seats in the 'r0ll4.

Eye of the Tiger

Good point. When I got a free car ('st33m!) and I had fun with it.

CALL_911

Quote from: NACar on November 24, 2007, 10:25:38 PM
z0MG, sry guise. The Audi's blower fan is completely non-functional at the moment, but you don't see me making all kinda thread about it! I just treated the windows with anti-fog and crank up the heated seats! z0mg, those seats get so hot! They practically heat the whole car. Trep, u shud just put heated seats in the 'r0ll4.

Put in a new blower fan.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CALL_911 on November 24, 2007, 10:32:30 PM
Put in a new blower fan.

no. i'm fairly certain it's a wiring issue. i will do some electrical diagnosis whent i have the motivation

CALL_911

Quote from: NACar on November 24, 2007, 10:35:35 PM
no. i'm fairly certain it's a wiring issue. i will do some electrical diagnosis whent i have the motivation

You is gonna get hypothermia and not be able to drive a car again.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CALL_911 on November 24, 2007, 10:37:48 PM
You is gonna get hypothermia and not be able to drive a car again.

I said, I have heated seats! And they so hot they burn my butt!

Rupert

Well, the fan works, so why fuck with it?

It sounds like it's the switch or something.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

S204STi

In response to Tepid's origional post, the problem is your resistor block.  It's very easy to replace,usually found under the glove box or behind it.  It might cost a few bucks though.  I'm about 100% sure about it.  There is a slim chance it's the control switch, but that isn't likely.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: R-inge on November 25, 2007, 04:29:43 PM
In response to Tepid's origional post, the problem is your resistor block.  It's very easy to replace,usually found under the glove box or behind it.  It might cost a few bucks though.  I'm about 100% sure about it.  There is a slim chance it's the control switch, but that isn't likely.

Thanks!

TBR

While we're on a related noted, my climate control is completely screwed up. It heats, it cools, and it defrosts. But, not always through the right vent. On the rare ocassion that I get it going through the defroster vents I can't get it to start going back through the other vents (just press the button doesn't work at all). I don't think I have ever felt air come out of the floor vents. It is a real pain in the ass. Could it just be the control panel or what?

TBR

Quote from: TBR on November 25, 2007, 05:39:53 PM
While we're on a related noted, my climate control is completely screwed up. It heats, it cools, and it defrosts. But, not always through the right vent. On the rare ocassion that I get it going through the defroster vents I can't get it to start going back through the other vents (just press the button doesn't work at all). I don't think I have ever felt air come out of the floor vents. It is a real pain in the ass. Could it just be the control panel or what?

Is there anyway to tell if the defroster is actually on or if it is just blowing through the defroster vents? If the defroster stays on, then it is almost certainly the climate control panel itself, right?

S204STi

It isn't hard to tell, you pretty much know already by holding your hand over the various vents that something isn't right.

The vehicle likely uses a vacuum assist to move the mode doors around.  Make sure all of your vacuum hoses are in good condition (and connected) all the way to the firewall.  If you don't find a problem there, you might have either a malfunctioning vacuum servo (sometimes the rubber diaphram rots and no longer works properly) or a problem with your control head.

TBR

How do I go about checking the vacuum hoses?

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: TBR on November 26, 2007, 09:43:48 PM
How do I go about checking the vacuum hoses?
Listen for suckage.  :-)

Or pull the dash apart and inspect them.  :nono:

As soon as I read your post though, that's what I thought the problem is-
But also some cars use a motor to move the "door" that changes it from defrost to vent- maybe check autozone's free manuals.
Will

Rupert

Start by looking at them all. :lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

TBR

In order to do that I'd have to know where they are...

S204STi

Look for thin black lines that may look sort of like thick wires.  They will sprout from the intake manifold mainly, more or less in the vicinity of the throttle body for the most part.  Trace them as far as you can see them visually.

Basically this is sounding like a job for a pro, but I thought I'd try to help you out a bit.

TBR

I appreciate it, this isn't an issue worth paying a pro for though, I can just deal with the defroster not always working (or the opposite, the air blowing out of the defroster vents instead of the regular vents).

TheIntrepid