Late '90s/Early '00s Toyota Tacomas

Started by MaxPower, May 09, 2005, 11:23:49 AM

MaxPower

What's the tow rating on different trim level previous-generation Tacomas?

I've always liked them but I think they're probably a little too small to pull a horse trailer.  And I need to pull a horse trailer.  Oh well. :rolleyes:  

hahn

With the 4 cylinder/5 speed or automatic and 6 cylinder/5 speed, it will tow 3500 pounds.

With the 6 cylinder and automatic, it will tow 5000 pounds.

I don't know how much a horse trailer weighs, but you are probably better off with a V8 engine.  Even if the Taco could do it, it probably wouldn't be very happy about it.

Zcarnut

If you plan on:

Hauling a horse regulary
Need to move more than one at once

I would seek out a larger vehicle for the job.Especially if your area is hilly.
I do drive a Honda (when im mowing my lawn).

Speed_Racer

Yep, it's usually better to get a truck that will easily handle the loads, as opposed to just barely getting by. It saves wear and tear that way.

I don'tknow the weights of horse trailers +horses, but if it is well under the towing capacity of the V-6 or 4 cyl., it might be worth a try.

MaxPower

QuoteYep, it's usually better to get a truck that will easily handle the loads, as opposed to just barely getting by. It saves wear and tear that way.

I don'tknow the weights of horse trailers +horses, but if it is well under the towing capacity of the V-6 or 4 cyl., it might be worth a try.
I imagine that one horse would be about 1500lbs and a trailer at least that.  It's a two horse trailer, so that'd exceed the towing capacity.  So they Tacoma can't do it.  Oh well.  I like the Tacoma better than the full size offerings.

hahn

Properly equipped, a Toyota Tundra will tow that load easily.  I just mention that because you had expressed interest in a Toyota.

If you don't like the Tundra, any V8 domestic truck will be able to handle that load with ease.

thewizard16

QuoteWith the 4 cylinder/5 speed or automatic and 6 cylinder/5 speed, it will tow 3500 pounds.

With the 6 cylinder and automatic, it will tow 5000 pounds.

I don't know how much a horse trailer weighs, but you are probably better off with a V8 engine.  Even if the Taco could do it, it probably wouldn't be very happy about it.
I used to have a trailer and horses, and I honestly don't remember how much it weighed, but I don't think I'd try it with a Tacoma. We used Suburbans and Silverado 2500s to do the job, but any fullsize V8 pickup should be able to do the job. Tundra, Silverado, Ram, F-150, and Titan of course, but I was assuming you weren't shopping quite that new. A V8 Dakota could probably handle the job too.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.