'09 Ram: All-Coil Suspension

Started by GoCougs, December 03, 2007, 07:37:04 PM

GoCougs

... plus a light-duty Cummins diesel V8.

I think that it was about time - full size SUVs based on 1/2-ton chasses have had rear coil suspension for a while now. I predict IRS by the next generation of 1/2-ton trucks (2012-2015 or there abouts).

http://www.leftlanenews.com/dodge-ram-prototype.html

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

"While the coil sprung setup means the next Ram won't be able to haul 10,000 pounds ? as the leaf spring setup is more heavy-duty by nature ? it should offer a better ride and handling, with reduced axle hop."

WTF.  If I wanted a better riding and handling vehicle with reduced axle hop that couldn't haul 10,000 pounds, I'd buy something other than a full size truck.  Why are the domestics engineering the truck out of their full size trucks?  If an import maker did this, all the domestic fan boys will be laughing their asses off saying how the Japanese don't know the first thing about trucks.  But I'm willing to be tons of domestic fan boys will crawl out of the woodwork and applaud this move by Dodge as a sensible decision :rolleyes:.

Pretty soon the Tundra and Titan will be the only real full size pickup trucks left.  :banghead:

sandertheshark

Quote from: 565 on December 03, 2007, 07:45:03 PM
"While the coil sprung setup means the next Ram won't be able to haul 10,000 pounds ? as the leaf spring setup is more heavy-duty by nature ? it should offer a better ride and handling, with reduced axle hop."

WTF.  If I wanted a better riding and handling vehicle with reduced axle hop that couldn't haul 10,000 pounds, I'd buy something other than a full size truck.  Why are the domestics engineering the truck out of their full size trucks?  If an import maker did this, all the domestic fan boys will be laughing their asses off saying how the Japanese don't know the first thing about trucks.  But I'm willing to be tons of domestic fan boys will crawl out of the woodwork and applaud this move by Dodge as a sensible decision :rolleyes:.

Pretty soon the Tundra and Titan will be the only real full size pickup trucks left.  :banghead:
I agree.  This isn't progress.  It's the dismantling of the American truck.

SVT666

Quote from: 565 on December 03, 2007, 07:45:03 PM

I'm not one of them.  This is stupid.  Although if you are towing 10,000 lbs with a 1/2 ton then you're an idiot anyway.

JYODER240

So the Ram is soon going to have a more advanced suspension than a Mustang? 

:lol:
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Quote from: HEMI666 on December 03, 2007, 10:01:36 PM
I'm not one of them.  This is stupid.  Although if you are towing 10,000 lbs with a 1/2 ton then you're an idiot anyway.

Actually this brings up an interesting question I've had.

Everyone tells me "you shouldn't tow 10,000 pounds with a 1/2 ton."  It seems like some unwritten rule that people only tow 75% or 60% of that rating.  But I have to ask, do the trucks really break if you tow at the limit?  Obviously half ton owners aren't going to be towing 10,000 pounds all the time. But if Toyota and GM rate their trucks to tow 10,000 pounds then I sure as hell expect to be able to tow something close to that at least part of the time without damage to my truck. I've exceeded the gross weight rating of all my cars plently of times (4 people in the Z06, 7 people in the Supra, 8 in the pathfinder) and I've never even considered anything breaking because I know the engineers put down rather conservative estimates.  Did manufacturer's urge to one-up each other do away with those safety margins?  I mean I'd expect a 10,000 pound tow rating to mean that I can safely tow 10,000 pounds with confidence that my truck isn't going to split in half.  If I have no confidence in that, than all these tow ratings are useless because you never know what the true safe amount to tow is.

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense that things like tow rating should have some kind of standardized system like SAE horsepower or crash ratings.

GoCougs

I'm surprised a few have stated that this isn't progress, or otherwise isn't a good move. Leafs' advantage, just as with pushrod engines, drum brakes, recirc balls steering, torsion beam axles, etc., is cost. Air bags would be even cooler, however.

No 1/2-ton comes close to "hauling" 10,000 lbs. Perhaps they meant towing. Either way, the blurb stated that the Ram will lose neither payload nor towing capacity versus the current model.

Towing capacities will be greatly revisited once the new SAE towing spec comes into effect. 1/2-tons are overbuilt (relative to how the vast majority are used) as it is anywho.

I say it again: the truck market will eventually go the way of the van market:  Traditional trucks in the 1/2-ton and compact markets will be taken over by Ridgeline-type "trucks," with the traditional BoF/live axle throw-backs relegated to commerical use.

Secret Chimp

Most 1/2 ton buyers probably barely haul more than what a station wagon could.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Quote from: GoCougs on December 03, 2007, 10:18:49 PM
I say it again: the truck market will eventually go the way of the van market:  Traditional trucks in the 1/2-ton and compact markets will be taken over by Ridgeline-type "trucks," with the traditional BoF/live axle throw-backs relegated to commerical use.

That's what I am afraid of. The Van market used to be domestic dominated, now Ford and GM have basically pulled out and only the Chrysler product is left in a market overrun by imports. When full size pickups lose their huge consumer popularity and imports dominate with their Ridgeline type things, it'll be apocalypse for the domestic automakers.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Secret Chimp on December 03, 2007, 10:32:49 PM
Most 1/2 ton buyers probably barely haul more than what a station wagon could.

If you took a look at a real station wagon: like a '71 Vista Cruiser, or a Country Squire: you'd know that most of those station wagons could probably outhaul most 1/2 ton pick-ups.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Tave

Quote from: GoCougs on December 03, 2007, 10:18:49 PM

I hope not. There's still a big demand for private work-trucks. And I want to own a vehicle one day that I can cruise dirt in. Jeep'll be around awhile, so at least I got that.

Since this is my first post in some time in the Big Guy forum, I'll break out the good news:

My Uncle just bought a Wrangler. Black on Black, stick shift, two-door, removable hard top, satellite radio, cd, and factory soundsystem (including a sub). I want to buy it after he's done with it.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Secret Chimp

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 03, 2007, 10:53:20 PM
If you took a look at a real station wagon: like a '71 Vista Cruiser, or a Country Squire: you'd know that most of those station wagons could probably outhaul most 1/2 ton pick-ups.

You could get some Chevy or Olds wagons with 454s, couldn't you? hoooo boy

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Secret Chimp on December 03, 2007, 10:59:51 PM
You could get some Chevy or Olds wagons with 454s, couldn't you? hoooo boy

The Olds and Buicks could come with 455s.

Eye of the Tiger

Light duty Cummins V8 FTW.
Coil springs FTW.
1/2 ton trucks don't need leafs.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

Quote from: NACar on December 03, 2007, 11:06:09 PM
Coil springs FTW.

Railroad cars ride on coil springs.

Eye of the Tiger

omicron

Eye of the Tiger

280Z Turbo

Can someone explain to me why a coil spring is worse than a leaf spring. If the rates are the same, why would the coil spring be worse?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on December 03, 2007, 11:52:36 PM
Can someone explain to me why a coil spring is worse than a leaf spring. If the rates are the same, why would the coil spring be worse?

Umm, duh- don't you get it "Real Amurikin trucks" use leaf springs by-golly. Coil springs are something those dad-gummed furriners dreamed up hold up their sissy mobiles because they don't want to curdle their goat milk.

Why everybody knows you cain't haul didly squat wth them silly things, anything heavier than a goat and a french whore will twist 'em up like pretzels!

Tave

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 04, 2007, 12:04:04 AM
Umm, duh- don't you get it "Real Amurikin trucks" use leaf springs by-golly. Coil springs are something those dad-gummed furriners dreamed up hold up their sissy mobiles because they don't want to curdle their goat milk.

Why everybody knows you cain't haul didly squat wth them silly things, anything heavier than a goat and a french whore will twist 'em up like pretzels!

Then again some people do use the trucks, and max payload means something different when you're bouncin over the tops of two-tracks...
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

the Teuton

I just don't like how low and girly these trucks are all becoming.  I remember in 1999 when I had to jump to get into a Ram 2500 at the auto show and subsequently climb into it.  My mom with two bad hips could get in and drive that Ram.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

280Z Turbo

At least they won't be able to drive over your Subaru. :thumbsup:

the Teuton

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on December 04, 2007, 01:31:36 AM
At least they won't be able to drive over your Subaru. :thumbsup:

Very good point, but they're no longer badass enough to make me almost want a truck.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

GoCougs

The Humvee, HMTT, and Abrams M1A1 main battle tank also use coil springs.

JYODER240

Quote from: the Teuton on December 04, 2007, 01:09:46 AM
I just don't like how low and girly these trucks are all becoming.  I remember in 1999 when I had to jump to get into a Ram 2500 at the auto show and subsequently climb into it.  My mom with two bad hips could get in and drive that Ram.

Weren't you a lot shorter then?
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Tave

Quote from: GoCougs on December 04, 2007, 06:23:04 AM
The Humvee, HMTT, and Abrams M1A1 main battle tank also use coil springs.

I'll remember that the next time I have a million dollars to burn.

Tave

Quote from: NACar on December 03, 2007, 11:06:09 PM
Coil springs FTW.

I guess that's why we always break our front coils at work, but the rear suspension never has a problem. :ohyeah: :huh: