***Porsche Museum (Part 1)***

Started by cawimmer430, December 04, 2007, 02:40:57 PM

cawimmer430

I was in Stuttgart since yesterday and checked out the Porsche Museum and the big Porsche dealership, both next to the factory. I couldn't get a factory tour (you need to book that months in advance) but I did get some great shots of what's lying and driving around here.

We begin with the Porsche Museum. Truth be told, it's nothing spectacular a la Mercedes-Benz or BMW Museum: but they're building a new museum in the style of Mercedes and BMW, so that's something to look forward too. The museum is just a "small room" measuring about 50 meters by 15 meters with a handful of Porsche's on display. Some of the exhibits are not even labelled so you'll find yourself looking at a car or a transmission or engine and have no idea what it is about. Parking was also a major problem: Porsche didn't have a parking lot for visitors! I had to park at a local supermarket a few blocks down (and had to buy something at the supermarket to allow me to park on their lot for about an hour). Anyway, here are the pics!  :ohyeah:

Good 'ole Ferdinand. I was amazed when I read his biography that he had virtually no ENGINEERING BACKGROUND (technical night school, that's all) at all! The man was a friggin genius! His family owned a plumbing business and he actually made an apprenticeship to become a plumber - and then he began working with engines and designing them. Friggin amazing!

1922 Austro-Daimler "Sascha": This car was designed by Ferdinand Porsche in 1922. It was powered by a 1089cc 4-cylinder engine with 45-horsepower and could reach a then phenomenal speed of 144 km/h. The car was very advanced for its time as it featured light-weight-construction making it a superb race car in its day. Austro-Daimler was an automative company in Austria that had links to the Daimler-Motoren-Gesellschaft in Germany.

1912 Austro-Daimler Firetruck: Ferdinand Porsche had a hand in the construction of this light firetruck, which was used by Austro-Daimler to safeguard its own factories. The car was capable of 55 km/h.

1948 Porsche 356 Roadster "Nummer 1"

No idea what this transmission was about. It lacked an info plaque...

1953 Porsche 356 America Roadster

1986 Porsche 944 Turbo "Adler von Tirol"

Modern Porsche suspension and brakes. I assume they're from a 996 or 997 Turbo because of the  "turbo" inscription...

1974 Porsche 911 Carrera RSR Turbo 2.1

1984 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 x 4 "Paris Dakar"

1998 Porsche 911 GT1 - Le Mans Winner

1992 Porsche 911 Speedster

Random shot of the museum...

No info on this engine, but it sure as hell looked cool inside and out!

1950 Volkswagen Beetle

END OF PART I
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie