What kind of trouble am I in?

Started by BimmerM3, December 10, 2007, 08:10:18 PM

BimmerM3

Sorry I have to ask this... I've searched for the answers online, but this stuff is either hard to find or I'm looking in the wrong places.

Last Friday I got pulled over for doing 82 in a 55. I already have 5 points on my GA license (20 over and 15 over). However, this past ticket was in Alabama. Will that help me at all? I haven't been able to find any Alabama laws for nonresidents.

Since I'm under 21 and I have a GA license, it's a possibility that I could lose my license for getting 4 points on a single offense. Speeding in excess of 23 over is a 4 point offense in GA, but it only appears to be two points in Alabama.

So any information or advice would be greatly appreciated. My court date isn't until March 3rd, so I have a bit of time to figure things out.

dazzleman

Did you check out the DMV website for Georgia?

You need to focus on how Georgia handles Alabama tickets.  Alabama's laws and rules don't really matter as far as your license in Georgia is concerned.

The most Alabama can do to you is suspend your privilege to drive in Alabama.  But if the violation appears on your Georgia license, you will presumably be subject to Georgia's point system, rather than Alabama's.

How long ago were your other tickets?  Were they very recent?

If you can't find your answers online, I suggest you call the Georgia DMV and ask them.  You may need to talk to the suspension unit, or something like that, to get the rules.

The other option is to plead down the Alabama ticket.  Maybe you can go to court and get it knocked down to something that won't jeopardize your license.  If this ticket puts your license in danger, you may want to get a local lawyer in Alabama to help you out.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Soup DeVille

Pleading down the ticket isn't your "other" option: it's quite likely your best option.

Did the officer give you any break on the ticket at all?

That is: did he clock you at 82 and issue a ticket for that speed, or did he knock off some MPH right off the bat? How did he clock you?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

The Pirate

1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Raza

Unless Georgia has a point sharing system with Alabama, I'd say you're in the clear.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

BimmerM3

Quote from: dazzleman on December 10, 2007, 08:18:44 PM
How long ago were your other tickets?  Were they very recent?

One of them (15 over) was just a few months ago, in September. The other was in August of 2006.

I tried looking at GA's DMV site and searched through the state code and the only thing I could find were offenses that occurred in Georgia. I even found a nonresident clause in Georgia's code, but couldn't not find anything similar for Alabama.

Eye of the Tiger

I found all the information I needed on the Maine BMV website. My recent ticket for 75/55 is 6-points, and at 12-points my license gets suspended. That absolutely really freaking sucks. One more ticket and it's gone. I'm not going to stop driving like I do, which has proven to be completely reasonable, as I have never been in an accident. I'm just going to use my radar detector from now on. If my license ever got suspended over something as stupid as two speeding tickets,  I would just continue to drive, because there's no way I could afford to fight it in court. Those God damn communists bastards will have to lock me up before I stop driving!
:rage:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Tave

I'm glad I don't live under a point system. All I have to worry about is keeping my insurance company wandering around in the dark. Of course, I haven't made any claims, so they haven't had a chance to pull my record.

When they do, it's going to take 5 satellites and a coordinated effort on the part of 12 local courthouse to untangle the sordid web of tickets I've left behind. :praise:
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Tave on December 10, 2007, 08:51:04 PM
I'm glad I don't live under a point system. All I have to worry about is keeping my insurance company wandering around in the dark. Of course, I haven't made any claims, so they haven't had a chance to pull my record.

When they do, it's going to take 5 satellites and a coordinated effort on the part of 12 local courthouse to untangle the web of tickets I've left behind.

I don't think they need an excuse to pull your record, they just normally don't bother unless they're given a reason to.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

The Pirate

A bit more research is in order, but start with this.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Will_a_speeding_ticket_from_another_state_affect_your_auto_insurance

If this is accurate, per the Nonresident Violator Compact (that sounds dirty! :devil:), Georgia only recognizes out of state tickets that 14+ mph over the limit.  You clinched that quite easily.  Do some research though.  If you are patient enough to sift through the pages of BS and wrong info, there is a lot of good info out there.

After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 10, 2007, 08:37:24 PM
Pleading down the ticket isn't your "other" option: it's quite likely your best option.

Did the officer give you any break on the ticket at all?

That is: did he clock you at 82 and issue a ticket for that speed, or did he knock off some MPH right off the bat? How did he clock you?

He didn't give me a break at all. I don't know how he clocked me... I just looked over the ticket thoroughly and it doesn't say. I didn't bother asking him at the time since it'll say on the ticket in Georgia.

The Pirate

And yes, Georgia's Motor Vehicles website sucks hard.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: BimmerM3 on December 10, 2007, 08:54:24 PM
He didn't give me a break at all. I don't know how he clocked me... I just looked over the ticket thoroughly and it doesn't say. I didn't bother asking him at the time since it'll say on the ticket in Georgia.

If he didn't give you a break, it was likely laser (or VASCAR if they still use that there); unless he was simply hedging his bets because you're an out of stater that you wouldn't contest it.

I'd say you have a pretty good chance of getting it bargasined down then anyways. I'd aim for 10 over.

BimmerM3

Quote from: NACar on December 10, 2007, 08:48:12 PM
I found all the information I needed on the Maine BMV website. My recent ticket for 75/55 is 6-points, and at 12-points my license gets suspended. That absolutely really freaking sucks. One more ticket and it's gone. I'm not going to stop driving like I do, which has proven to be completely reasonable, as I have never been in an accident. I'm just going to use my radar detector from now on. If my license ever got suspended over something as stupid as two speeding tickets,  I would just continue to drive, because there's no way I could afford to fight it in court. Those God damn communists bastards will have to lock me up before I stop driving!
:rage:

Georgia's point system is fairly reasonable, unless you're under 21. If you're under 21, a single offense of 4 points can suspend your license. Otherwise, you have to manage to rack up 15 points under this point schedule:

* Reckless driving: 4 points
    * Unlawfully passing a school bus: 6 points
    * Improper passing on a hill or curve: 4 points
    * Speeding (miles per hour over the speed limit):
    * 15-19 MPH: 2 points
    * 19-24 MPH: 3 points
    * 24-34 MPH: 4 points
    * 34 MPH or more: 6 points
    * Disobedience of any traffic-control device or traffic officer: 3 points
    * Possessing an open container of an alcoholic beverage while driving: 2 points
    * Failure to secure a load: 2 points
    * All other moving violations: 3 points
    * Child restraint (first offense): 1 point
    * Child restraint (second and subsequent offense): 2 points
    * Aggressive driving: 6 points (license suspension for drivers under 21)
    * HOV lane violation (fourth and subsequent offense): 1 point

It would take a bit of work to rack up 15 points with those.

hounddog

Quote from: BimmerM3 on December 10, 2007, 08:42:48 PM
One of them (15 over) was just a few months ago, in September. The other was in August of 2006.

I tried looking at GA's DMV site and searched through the state code and the only thing I could find were offenses that occurred in Georgia. I even found a nonresident clause in Georgia's code, but couldn't not find anything similar for Alabama.
Most states have reciprocal ticket agreements with the surrounding states.  Others, like MI, have entered into compacts with other non-surrounding states. 

Your best bet is to phone the DMV,  Secretary of State or whatever your state calls it and ask them, "Does (fill in your states name here) have a reciprical agreement on traffic tickets with Alabama?"  If they do not know, ask them politely if they can find out for you. 

Another place that should know the answer to that question would be the local prosecuting attorney's office. 

Good luck.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

hounddog

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 10, 2007, 08:52:56 PM
I don't think they need an excuse to pull your record, they just normally don't bother unless they're given a reason to.
Depends, I know for a fact that AAA, Allstate, Liberty Mutual, MEEMIC and Gieco do yearly assessments to determine if your are properly insured as part of their services.  Part of that is to examine your driving record.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

etypejohn

Quote from: BimmerM3 on December 10, 2007, 08:10:18 PM
Sorry I have to ask this... I've searched for the answers online, but this stuff is either hard to find or I'm looking in the wrong places.

Last Friday I got pulled over for doing 82 in a 55. I already have 5 points on my GA license (20 over and 15 over). However, this past ticket was in Alabama. Will that help me at all? I haven't been able to find any Alabama laws for nonresidents.

Since I'm under 21 and I have a GA license, it's a possibility that I could lose my license for getting 4 points on a single offense. Speeding in excess of 23 over is a 4 point offense in GA, but it only appears to be two points in Alabama.

So any information or advice would be greatly appreciated. My court date isn't until March 3rd, so I have a bit of time to figure things out.

So no offense meant, but what are you doing 82 in a 55 zone for?

That just seems like you were begging someone to write you a ticket.

There is something called theInterstate Driver's License Compact (google it). 45 states are members, Gerogia isn't.  The states have agreed to share ticket information.  So, Alabama is a member, Gerogia isn't.  Alabama reports their tickets to other states, Georgia doesn't report theirs.  What isn't clear is if Alabama reports the information to Gerogia, which is not a member.   

Tave

Quote from: etypejohn on December 11, 2007, 11:01:38 AM

There are stretches of I-25 marked at 55 in Denver. It's an 8+ lane divided highway with limited access, so it's not inconceivable that someone would travel at that speed. Not saying it makes it okay, but it's not always so cut and dry. If you go 40 miles to the north, the highway is only 4 lanes and people routinely travel 80-90 miles an hour. It's almost safer to do that in the 55 zone, presuming little traffic.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

etypejohn

Quote from: Tave on December 11, 2007, 12:07:39 PM
It's almost safer to do that in the 55 zone, presuming little traffic.

And a bit more expensive.   ;)

BimmerM3

No offense taken. I enjoy driving fast. It's a stretch of road that I've driven twice a week for the past three months and never seen a cop. To be honest, it's a low-traffic road. I didn't think it would be worth a cop's time to sit there and clock people, but I was wrong.

I know I was basically asking for a ticket. I deserve it, and I'll consider myself lucky if I walk away from this with my license. From now on, I'm going to be taking the interstate back to Atlanta, which is much more boring, slightly longer, but has higher limits.

For the record, I'm not complaining or trying to get completely out of the ticket (though that would be nice), but just trying to keep my license. I paid the fines for my previous tickets without a fight. It's within my rights to go to court to try and reduce the punishment, so I'm doing that.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 10, 2007, 08:52:56 PM

Mine checks every 6 months until I'm 25.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

dazzleman

A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

bing_oh

There is something called theInterstate Driver's License Compact (google it). 45 states are members, Gerogia isn't.  The states have agreed to share ticket information.  So, Alabama is a member, Gerogia isn't.  Alabama reports their tickets to other states, Georgia doesn't report theirs.  What isn't clear is if Alabama reports the information to Gerogia, which is not a member.

Actually, there are two different agreements, the Non-Resident Violator Compact and the Drivers License Compact. Georgia is a member of the NRVC and Alabama is a member of both. Since both are members of the NRVC, then there's a possibility that your violation will be reported to your home state. Here's a list of members, just for everybody's info. http://www.aamva.org/aamva/DocumentDisplay.aspx?id={A0B6D32F-1B87-4430-9639-DAFC6A67AA54}

etypejohn

Quote from: bing_oh on December 11, 2007, 11:56:05 PM
Actually, there are two different agreements, the Non-Resident Violator Compact and the Drivers License Compact. Georgia is a member of the NRVC and Alabama is a member of both. Since both are members of the NRVC, then there's a possibility that your violation will be reported to your home state. Here's a list of members, just for everybody's info. http://www.aamva.org/aamva/DocumentDisplay.aspx?id={A0B6D32F-1B87-4430-9639-DAFC6A67AA54}

Excellent information, thanks.

280Z Turbo

bing_oh

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on December 12, 2007, 11:56:45 AM
Michigan is not part of that. :rockon:

Michigan is not a member of either, which usually means that you will be arrested and required to post bond for traffic violations if you're cited outside of the state of Michigan. One of the parts of these agreements is that, if a non-resident violator doesn't appear for court or doesn't pay the fines associated with the cite, that the home state will suspend their license. Because Michigan and Wisconsin aren't members of either of these agreements, motorists from those two states are normally required to post bond before being released because there's no repercussions if they never show for court. I'm not sure that justifies a :rockon: ...

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on December 12, 2007, 11:56:45 AM
Michigan is not part of that. :rockon:

Michigan doesn't do reciprocity agreements in a lot of ways. I don't really know why.

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: TheIntrepid on December 11, 2007, 06:53:46 PM
Mine checks every 6 months until I'm 25.

Mine last checked when I was 25. I need them to hold off until I'm 30 so they don't see my 35kph over :) Well that and fighting my 45kph over has to go well this May, lol...
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

dazzleman

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on December 12, 2007, 07:32:31 PM
Mine last checked when I was 25. I need them to hold off until I'm 30 so they don't see my 35kph over :) Well that and fighting my 45kph over has to go well this May, lol...

You have a court date in May for a 45km/hr over ticket in May?

Holy crap, that's pretty impressive, man.... :ohyeah:

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: dazzleman on December 12, 2007, 07:48:27 PM
You have a court date in May for a 45km/hr over ticket in May?

Holy crap, that's pretty impressive, man.... :ohyeah:

Nah, got that ticket in October I think... Already met with the prosecutor to try and get it reduced, but they wouldn't reduce it enough, so I asked for my day in court. May 30, 2008, lol... Over half a year from the ticket date, love the court system....

Ticket is complete bs. I'm quite confident that I will get it tossed, but in any case I will have dragged it out as long as possible.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...