Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes

Started by Raza , December 11, 2007, 02:47:12 PM

Raza

Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes

It?s a typical Pennsylvania winter?s day.  The sky is as gray as a middle managers? conference, rain pours down because it?s just not quite cold enough for there to be snow.  It?s the kind of day that your landlord decides to show your apartment while you?re in the shower. 

It?s also the type of day that makes you want to tempt fate.  You can smell it in the air when you step out for something fresh.  You can taste it in your morning coffee.  Today is the day you spit in death?s face. 

The tires grasp at wet tarmac, calling on every ounce of available grip; catapulting you forward as quickly as this car can.  And despite its modest power rating, just 197bhp, it does fire you like a clay pigeon.  Snap through the first few shifts, grabbing the nicely weighted titanium shift knob, and yanking on it as hard as you can.  The clutch is nicely weighted as well, a refreshing change from most modern cars short of Zuffenhausen?s finest.  The first corner is fast approaching, the road is soaking wet, I?m pushing a new car on a road I don?t know.  I stab the clutch, drop into second, and floor it through the 90 degree turn.  Wind back some lock to keep the rear from kicking out as the front tires spin, and shift quickly into third.  Keep pushing, there?s more than that to come.

Oddly enough, the car isn?t much to look at.  As far as hot rod special editions go, this looks as thinly tarted up as you can get.  You can tell they wanted to make the car look more aggressive, so they took a page from Subaru/Mitsubishi book and stuck a giant spoiler on it.  Then, it seems they glued on some fiddly ground effects.  Looking at it, the Honda Civic Si Mugen doesn?t look anything special; just like your average car owned by someone who can?t point his hat straight.  The paint isn?t even special.  Parked next to a standard Si sedan in Fiji Blue, the Mugen just looks the same.  Mugen badges are stuck everywhere, lest you forget that this special edition car, one of only a thousand on sale, is going to cost you thirty thousand dollars.  A lot of money for a Civic, a lot of money period.  I?m sure if Honda could, they?d stick a Mugen badge on you when you drive it. 

Open the door, and this sedan greets you with deeply bolstered seats, an ugly dashboard, and an oddly truncated handbrake, just left of the Mugen branded shift knob.  The steering wheel is appropriately small, thick, and well contoured, but the multifunction buttons seem a bit unnecessary.  The steering wheel is here to steer, and that should be it.  As with the standard Civic, Honda has deemed it fit to move all of the gauges around and mess with their displays.  The tachometer is in the back seat, the oil temperature gauge measures heat with electronic bars, not with a needle that points to a number, and the speedometer is bolted on to the hood of the car.  The seats, however, hug you like an old friend, fitting just right and never pinching like that funny grandmother you hate visiting during the holidays.  They are manually adjustable, and the steering wheel tilts and telescopes.  Get it in the right position (a little bend in the knee, a little bend in the elbow), and never let anyone else drive it.

Back on the road, I?m coming up to a sharp, uphill left hander.  I punch the throttle; the car reacts, pulling you through the corner without argument.  The left hander feeds into a right, and I spin the steering wheel back and the Mugen just flies through.  On exit, I floor the throttle and the engine spins up to the magic VTEC engagement point, and it kicks in like an old school turbocharger.  Power stays strong up until the 8000 rev redline, and when you snap the shifter into the next gear, revs stay up high enough that you don?t bog down.  Winding roads are where this car is meant to live.  The suspension never gets upset, even when you drive like a maniac down a wet road you?ve never been on.  The car simply eggs you on; now it?s fate that?s tempting you.

Tearing through just a few miles of untried roads, the Mugen doesn?t simply obey; it fervently accepts your commands, begging you to give it yet another.  The car lives for the impossible task.  Go around that 90 degree at 90 miles an hour?  ?Sure, no problem,? the Mugen replies.  Clip multiple apexes at ridiculous speeds?  ?I can keep going, you know.?  Driven like a normal car, the Mugen reacts like a normal car. But if you grab it by the scruff of its neck and go for a tear, the Mugen reacts like a small child after mainlining two giant Pixy Stix.  It feels like nothing can stop you.  Adrenaline pumps through every centimeter of your central nervous system.  Pupils will dilate; your heart will beat ferociously.  When you stop the car, you?ll want to challenge Mike Tyson to a fight.  This is a car you feel with your entire body. 

Never before have I felt such immediacy in a car that?s masquerading as a family sedan.  Never before have I been so excited by something with such mundane roots.  Never before has a car from Honda gotten my heart racing so quickly.  The suspension communicates with you, telling you what?s happening with the front wheels through the steering wheel.  You can feel every minute detail?every time you lose a morsel of grip, every time the car lets you know that it?s okay to keep going?in each and every one of your fingertips.  Suddenly, Honda?s idiocy seems to make sense.  The speedometer is far away and elevated on the dashboard so it?s always in your field of vision.  The tachometer sits in a pod by itself so all the information that it gives you is uncluttered and absolutely clear. 

I don?t know how many speakers this car has.  I don?t know if there?s enough leg room in the back seat.  I don?t know if the controls on the dash are made of soft touch plastic.  I don?t know where the fuel filler cap release is.  I don?t know where the fuel filler cap is.  But I do know this; the Honda Civic Si Mugen is truly something special.  This isn?t the type of car you buy to impress people at dinner parties.  If I were to wager a guess, if you told someone at a dinner party that you drove a Honda Civic Si Mugen, they?d suddenly remember that they left something in the other room, or that their new cell phone?s silent mode is shockingly silent and they?ve got to step out.  This car isn?t about what it says to others.  This car isn?t a slinky black dress.  This car doesn?t go everywhere and it doesn?t go with everything.  It will always stand out as being immature; it will never exactly fit in.  And none of that matters. 

It?s fantastic.  Without driving the Mugen and the standard car side by side, and with my memory of the Si coupe fading, I?d say that it?s worth every penny.  Something this good doesn?t come along that often.  This car has the intimacy that we fear is lost with every new generation of car.  Driver involvement is through the roof.  This is one of the easiest cars to fall in love with that I?ve ever driven. 

*Images courtesy of Honda

Sorry if the review is a little rough, I just finished writing it.  I usually give it some cool off time before I post, but I'm too excited, and I wanted you guys to get a taste of what I just experienced.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SaltyDog

Nice review :rockon:

Too bad it's so ugly, cause it sounds great.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

Eye of the Tiger

Nice writing n stuff. Will you still be holding out for a Panda 100HP?
I vaguely remember hearing about a Mugen Si. What does it add to the regular Si?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Raza

Quote from: NACar on December 11, 2007, 03:08:59 PM
I vaguely remember hearing about a Mugen Si. What does it add to the regular Si?

From Honda:

* Twin-Ring Motegi track-tuned suspension
    * Aerodynamic body styling
    * "Cat-back" sports exhaust system
    * Highly aggressive spring and damper tuning
    * Mugen ?forged aluminum wheels measure 18 x 7.5 inches
    * High-grip summer tires (215/40R18)
    * Front spoiler and sports grille
    * Side spoilers
    * Rear diffuser
    * Adjustable rear wing

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

How does it compare to a Cobalt SS Supercharged?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: NACar on December 11, 2007, 03:08:59 PM

Mostly suspension bits and Mugen badges.

My Honda dealer (who also happens to be my brother-in-law) called me up when he first heard about it and I almost reserved one, but couldn't square the idea of my lame-ass old man self driving with the cars image; nor would the moths in my billfold cover the downpayment.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Raza

Quote from: HEMI666 on December 11, 2007, 03:11:22 PM
How does it compare to a Cobalt SS Supercharged?

Much sharper.  The Cobalt's quicker in a straight line, and very muscle-car feeling, whereas in this car, no single feature overpowers the experience.  There's a lot more communication, the steering is weighted better (I don't know if the Mugen's steering, clutch, and shifter are changed, but they're much better than I remember the standard Si to be), and it just carves up corners.  It gets the power down better too, mainly because there's less of it.  The Cobalt is still a great car, mind you; and at a significantly lower price. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

the Teuton

I haven't read your review yet (sorry Raza, but I'll get to it).  All I know is that I am testing the new Impreza/WRX over break, so BACK OFF WITH THE COMPACT CARS!   :lol:
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on December 11, 2007, 03:15:42 PM
I haven't read your review yet (sorry Raza, but I'll get to it).  All I know is that I am testing the new Impreza/WRX over break, so BACK OFF WITH THE COMPACT CARS!   :lol:

Well, I'll be driving the new WRX as well; we'll see what we both think it, then, eh?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

the Teuton

Quote from: Raza  on December 11, 2007, 03:17:00 PM
Well, I'll be driving the new WRX as well; we'll see what we both think it, then, eh?

I'm coming from the perspective of the oldie Impreza (I want to drive a 4EAT model, too, to see how much better the transmission has gotten), and you've driven more cars in the compact class, so we're going to pretty much have two completely different perspectives.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on December 11, 2007, 03:20:50 PM
I'm coming from the perspective of the oldie Impreza (I want to drive a 4EAT model, too, to see how much better the transmission has gotten), and you've driven more cars in the compact class, so we're going to pretty much have two completely different perspectives.

I'll be comparing it with the old model, mostly.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

the Teuton

Quote from: Raza  on December 11, 2007, 03:25:57 PM
I'll be comparing it with the old model, mostly.

How old?  GD?  I'd like to hope a ride in a 2.5RS, GD WRX, and then new WRX, but they probably don't have a GC RS there at the dealer, and it's getting to be a lot easier to drive a WRX because they're no longer limited-supply vehicles like they use to be.

I'll read the Honda article later, but I still have 3 exams this week.  Aufwiedersehen in a few.

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on December 11, 2007, 03:30:42 PM
How old?  GD?  I'd like to hope a ride in a 2.5RS, GD WRX, and then new WRX, but they probably don't have a GC RS there at the dealer, and it's getting to be a lot easier to drive a WRX because they're no longer limited-supply vehicles like they use to be.

I'll read the Honda article later, but I still have 3 exams this week.  Aufwiedersehen in a few.

The old model, as in the 2007.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Vinsanity

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=12430.msg671862#msg671862 date=1197409632
It?s fantastic.  Without driving the Mugen and the standard car side by side, and with my memory of the Si coupe fading, I?d say that it?s worth every penny. 

Well it sure seems like a nifty car, and I don't mean to take anything away from your very well-written review, but really? $30 grand?

Like the Bullitt, I'm sure this car will be valuable sometime in the future because of its rarity, but that would just make me less inclined to fulfill the car's destiny as a racetrack ninja.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Vinsanity on December 11, 2007, 04:02:04 PM
Well it sure seems like a nifty car, and I don't mean to take anything away from your very well-written review, but really? $30 grand?

Like the Bullitt, I'm sure this car will be valuable sometime in the future because of its rarity, but that would just make me less inclined to fulfill the car's destiny as a racetrack ninja.

The normal Si sedan is already pricy. These cars are all pretty much already sold; and most went for more than that- I'm surprised Raza got to drive one.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

JYODER240

I'd have a hard time justifying the price, unless I absolutley needed 4-doors and 4-seats.   
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Raza

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 11, 2007, 04:04:39 PM
The normal Si sedan is already pricy. These cars are all pretty much already sold; and most went for more than that- I'm surprised Raza got to drive one.

It helps that I'm in the middle of nowhere.  There was no markup on the sticker either.  I was shocked when I saw it.

However, I don't find the standard Civic Si pricey at all.  21-23K for a very good car; much less than a GTI or GLI that's decently optioned, and roughly the same price of a low option Mini Cooper.  A standard Cooper.

Oh, I've also got my name down to drive a Bullitt if the local dealer gets one that isn't sold.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: Vinsanity on December 11, 2007, 04:02:04 PM

I've driven hundred thousand dollar cars that weren't as fun.  I know it's a lot of money.  But the transformation is nothing short of phenomenal.  Other than power, this thing is on the level of cars like the Evo and STI. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=12430.msg671982#msg671982 date=1197417237
I've driven hundred thousand dollar cars that weren't as fun.  I know it's a lot of money.  But the transformation is nothing short of phenomenal.  Other than power, this thing is on the level of cars like the Evo and STI. 
Maybe Honda should make a rally hatchback version of it.

Raza

Quote from: HEMI666 on December 11, 2007, 04:54:54 PM
Maybe Honda should make a rally hatchback version of it.

Well, they already have the hatchback...

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

sandertheshark

Raza

Quote from: Raghavan on December 11, 2007, 06:10:33 PM
Nice review.

Thanks man.  Hopefully I'll be able to write for the 'zine. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raghavan

Do you seriously think that's worth the $30,000+ price though? That's STI territory...
Too bad it looks pretty ugly too.

Raza

Quote from: Raghavan on December 11, 2007, 06:33:53 PM
Do you seriously think that's worth the $30,000+ price though? That's STI territory...
Too bad it looks pretty ugly too.

Well, the new STI is going to be around 40 grand...

I'd really have to drive the standard model again, but if the standard Si didn't exist, I'd say, without any hesitation, that it's worth it.  Besides being decently quick, it handles very well, is practical, and is massively fun.  I've driven much more expensive cars that aren't nearly as good. 

If the standard car is even 95% as sharp, then I wouldn't bother with the Mugen.  I wonder if you can build up a CSi sedan to feel the same way.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raghavan

Quote from: Raza  on December 11, 2007, 06:37:17 PM
Well, the new STI is going to be around 40 grand...

I'd really have to drive the standard model again, but if the standard Si didn't exist, I'd say, without any hesitation, that it's worth it.  Besides being decently quick, it handles very well, is practical, and is massively fun.  I've driven much more expensive cars that aren't nearly as good. 

If the standard car is even 95% as sharp, then I wouldn't bother with the Mugen.  I wonder if you can build up a CSi sedan to feel the same way.
$40k for the STI? I thought the new one would be around $35k. :cry:

Still, low $30's for a Civic is crazy IMO. I can't wrap my head around that for some reason.

TheIntrepid

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Raza

Quote from: Raghavan on December 11, 2007, 06:38:49 PM
$40k for the STI? I thought the new one would be around $35k. :cry:

Still, low $30's for a Civic is crazy IMO. I can't wrap my head around that for some reason.

I believe the sticker is $29,500, plus tax, title, and regs. 

If it makes it an easier to swallow, the Jetta GLI costs $27,250 with the Autobahn package.  Of course, a BMW 325i starts at $32,400.  Add the sport package and you're at 34.  I haven't driven the E90 325i, but I'm almost certain there's no way it's as good to drive as this Civic is.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i