Top Gear tests Toyota Pickup

Started by 280Z Turbo, July 06, 2005, 09:48:02 PM

280Z Turbo

I thought you guys might enjoy this. You can stream the video here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/downloads/

It kind of reminds me of my Ranger. :praise:  

BMWDave

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

footoflead

HOLY CRAP!!!...i thought it was for sure done when it took that 200 somethin foot drop of that building...but it acctually ran.... :o  :o and moved :o  :o  :o ..absolutly amazing
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

SargeMonkey

Holy crap, that was cool, we had a toyota corolla 1982 to 89, never could tell, over 500k miles hit in all four corners, more than once, loaded full of rocks tell the bumper scraped the ground, we added more air to the tires, did that ten or twelve times. I drove it when I was 14, before it changed hands, we went off roading, at 75mph, it was fun. Lets see, my dad drove it, like a phyco, and well it got good mileage, cost use $200 and only had 45k on it. We sold it for $75, and the guy drove it, but he didn't change the name on it yet, my dad cut every wire and hose. I still see it, but its not brown anymore, its grey and has at least 10 gallons of bondo on it. We still have the keys to it, and its all the same under the hood and under the body.

Yet I still can't find a toyota truck, for less than $1300, there was one for $800 but it was well, trashed, but I bet it would last, and last, and last.

Half of that was off-road, when we took it "rock hounding", man was that a good car.
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454
`70 Chevy Fleetside (non running)
`91 Camry XL All-trac 4cyl
`86 Toyota Pickup (475k miles)
`92 Jeep Wrangler Renegade 4" lift 35" tires.

R33 GT-R

I have an 84 Toyo Pickup and you can't kill it.  It's been rolled several times, bounced off trees and boulders and submerged over the cab in a mud bog.  The 22R keeps purring like a champ and I know it's up to almost any task I slam it into.
Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!

BMWDave

QuoteI have an 84 Toyo Pickup and you can't kill it.  It's been rolled several times, bounced off trees and boulders and submerged over the cab in a mud bog.  The 22R keeps purring like a champ and I know it's up to almost any task I slam it into.
Nice!  What american pickup would a Hilux be compared to?  The Tacoma?

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

Probably, but the only similarity is that both are the smallest pickup Toyota offered at the time.  

TBR

QuoteHoly crap, that was cool, we had a toyota corolla 1982 to 89, never could tell, over 500k miles hit in all four corners, more than once, loaded full of rocks tell the bumper scraped the ground, we added more air to the tires, did that ten or twelve times. I drove it when I was 14, before it changed hands, we went off roading, at 75mph, it was fun. Lets see, my dad drove it, like a phyco, and well it got good mileage, cost use $200 and only had 45k on it. We sold it for $75, and the guy drove it, but he didn't change the name on it yet, my dad cut every wire and hose. I still see it, but its not brown anymore, its grey and has at least 10 gallons of bondo on it. We still have the keys to it, and its all the same under the hood and under the body.

Yet I still can't find a toyota truck, for less than $1300, there was one for $800 but it was well, trashed, but I bet it would last, and last, and last.

Half of that was off-road, when we took it "rock hounding", man was that a good car.
You all got 450,000 miles out of a $200 car?!?!?!?  

280Z Turbo

QuoteI have an 84 Toyo Pickup and you can't kill it.  It's been rolled several times, bounced off trees and boulders and submerged over the cab in a mud bog.  The 22R keeps purring like a champ and I know it's up to almost any task I slam it into.
http://www.brian894x4.com/Hiluxgeneration2.html

According to this, the Hilux is nearly identical to the North American pickup.

BMWDave

QuoteI have an 84 Toyo Pickup and you can't kill it.? It's been rolled several times, bounced off trees and boulders and submerged over the cab in a mud bog.? The 22R keeps purring like a champ and I know it's up to almost any task I slam it into.
http://www.brian894x4.com/Hiluxgeneration2.html

According to this, the Hilux is nearly identical to the North American pickup.
I see.

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

god, you've gotta be kidding me. i need to get a truck like that. no more mr2 for me!

R33 GT-R

QuoteI have an 84 Toyo Pickup and you can't kill it.  It's been rolled several times, bounced off trees and boulders and submerged over the cab in a mud bog.  The 22R keeps purring like a champ and I know it's up to almost any task I slam it into.
It's already been answered but yes.

I hope you like tracks though.
jk.

here it is.

Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!

Run Away

Hilux's are indeed almost indestructable...
THat's all they use in Haiti. You'll see Landcruisers, Pajeros (Monteros), a few Discoveries and Range Rovers, but above all the Toyota Hilux.

BMWDave

QuoteHilux's are indeed almost indestructable...
THat's all they use in Haiti. You'll see Landcruisers, Pajeros (Monteros), a few Discoveries and Range Rovers, but above all the Toyota Hilux.
You also see tons of Land Rover Defenders.

By the way, does anyone know where I can download other Top Gear Episodes?

2007 Honda S2000

Run Away

Raghavan

The HIlux and Tacoma are based on the same platform, right?
I wanna 4x4 Tacoma and put on monster off road tires and a lift kit. even if i roll it, i won't be scared.

BMWDave

QuoteYou've been to Haiti!?
No, lol...from pictures I have seen of there, you see tons of LR Defenders.

2007 Honda S2000

Run Away

QuoteYou've been to Haiti!?
No, lol...from pictures I have seen of there, you see tons of LR Defenders.
There's a few, but they're all old ones from like the 60s and 70s.
Far more Hiluxs, Landcruisers and Pajeros.

BMWDave

Anyone know where I can download Top Gear Episodes?

2007 Honda S2000

Tom

I really wish Toyota still produced this pickup, unchanged from what it was then.  They could mass produce it cheaply and sell all over the world for the equivalent of 10k US.  Wait, do they do this.  If they do they don't sell it to the US and I really wish they did.  Why can't their be a "stripper" option?  We don't need the flamboyancy of the Tacoma or the modern, more expensive interior.  Just a basic truck with the indestuctable 22re and 5sp tranny.  Bring it back, dammit!

SargeMonkey

Ya, its not hard, I think peoples cars that die early don't maintain them right, like waiting for a light to tell them, change your oil.
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454
`70 Chevy Fleetside (non running)
`91 Camry XL All-trac 4cyl
`86 Toyota Pickup (475k miles)
`92 Jeep Wrangler Renegade 4" lift 35" tires.

BMWDave

QuoteYa, its not hard, I think peoples cars that die early don't maintain them right, like waiting for a light to tell them, change your oil.
Well, you have cars pushing hundreds of thousands of miles.  So all you do is change your oil early?  That is pretty amazing! :)  

2007 Honda S2000

thewizard16

:o I just watched the whole video and that's absolutely insane. It wasn't even in great condition when they started, but it ran throughout the whole abuse (which definitely goes beyond anything I can think of that I'd manage to do to a vehicle) without requiring new parts. I think buying one of those might be a worthwhile purchase.  
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Raghavan

i wanna '85 tacoma... hard to find though

BMWDave

Quote:o I just watched the whole video and that's absolutely insane. It wasn't even in great condition when they started, but it ran throughout the whole abuse (which definitely goes beyond anything I can think of that I'd manage to do to a vehicle) without requiring new parts. I think buying one of those might be a worthwhile purchase.
Indeed...though you cannot find any Hilux diesels in America ;)

I suppose you could get a Toyota Pickup of the same era, and have reliability be the same.

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

Quote:o I just watched the whole video and that's absolutely insane. It wasn't even in great condition when they started, but it ran throughout the whole abuse (which definitely goes beyond anything I can think of that I'd manage to do to a vehicle) without requiring new parts. I think buying one of those might be a worthwhile purchase.

I suppose you could get a Toyota Pickup of the same era, and have reliability be the same.
toyota pickups are pretty rare, especially the mid 80's models. most are still owned by the original owners, or theyv'e been destroyed, or are still in service, like in construction use or something. :(  

thewizard16

toyota pickups are pretty rare, especially the mid 80's models. most are still owned by the original owners, or theyv'e been destroyed, or are still in service, like in construction use or something. :(
And if you do find one, they're never as cheap as you'd expect for something that old.  <_<  I checked around a while back on cars.com and ebaymotors even, to see if I could pick up a cheap work truck, but I didnt want something that old, and I wanted it with a V6. I ended up with the Dakota, because I could have bought two for the same price as a comparable Tacoma of the same year.  :blink:  
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Run Away

Quotei wanna '85 tacoma... hard to find though
I'd imagine, seeing as the first Tacomas were first made in 1995...

TBR

Toyota trucks are incredibly expensive, it will likely cost you $4000 for even the most basic early model.