The Protege5 Build Up Thread

Started by MrH, December 17, 2007, 03:07:22 AM

MrH

Just thought I'd get this thread rolling.  It'll be a little bit before I get started on it, but I thought I might as well start the thread and outline what will be done.  Hopefully I'll start sometime in January.

I'll be starting a co-op position this winter at an engineering firm.  This means I won't be taking any classes during this time, and will be working a 40 hour a week job instead, but I'll still be leaving on campus in my apartment.  I won't have any homework to do, so I should have quite a bit of free time.  I was considering trying to get a second car, but I can't justify spending that kind of money right now as a college student.  I currently own a 2002 Mazda Protege5 for those who didn't know.  It just passed 50,000 miles the other day, so it still has plenty of life in it.

I figured this is my shot to drop some money into it.  I'll be keeping this as a daily driver and winter car well after I graduate (and will probably buy a nice fun car right out of college).  I might as well make this thing more enjoyable to drive, so here are the plans for it so far.  This is all tentative, so I may skip on a few things, or add more things later.

Suspension:
Springs
Shocks
Sway Bars
Front Strut Bar (I was considering a rear, but don't want to kill my cargo space)

Wheels:
Moving up to 17" wheels
Summer tires
Probably going to be putting snow tires on my stock rims either this winter, or next

Shifter:
Short throw shift kit
Shifter bushings
Shift knob
Leather shifter boot

Brakes:
Stainless steel lines
New Brake Fluid
Bigger Calipers up front
Bigger rotors up front
new slotted rotors in the back
high performance pads all around

Engine:
New engine mounts with new bushings all around

Exterior:
Fix the obvious scratches on the bumper
Fix the fog light with the cracked housing
Roof rail caps
Short antenna
Tint all around.

I'll be posting pictures of the progress the whole time.  If anyone has any suggestions, let me know.  I have the specifics all picked out for each of these steps, but I wasn't going to bore you all with all the details with proteges.  If anyone wants any specifics (as in what brand and such I'm getting), let me know.  I'm hoping to get into Autocross this spring, and will hopefully have a solid car to track for the GTG.

First project: All the shifter stuff.  Should be ordering it pretty soon hopefully, and will work on it sometime in January at school.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Raza

Why larger wheels and no more power?  Seems pointless to add unladen weight.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Champ

I like that you are doing the brakes.  You might want to do some quick research on "high performance brake pads" because the actual track pads suck balls on the street.

MrH

Quote from: Raza  on December 17, 2007, 07:30:27 AM
Why larger wheels and no more power?  Seems pointless to add unladen weight.

Who said the new wheels would be heavier than my stock ones?  :lol:

They should be around the same weight, or a little less.  The stock wheels are pretty heavy.  There's a few reasons I'm moving up an inch.  First, the stock wheels are the most bizarre size.  They use a 195/50/R16 tire, which is ridiculously hard to find.  Second, the stock wheel width is 6", which is ridiculously narrow.  It can't fit anything much wider.

With new wheels, I can get wider tires, shorter sidewalls, more choices at better tires, and less weight at the corners.  All while looking better too.

As to why I'm not upgrading the power at all.  It's pretty difficult to get anything out of the Protege's motor.  Exhaust gets you like 3 horsepower somewhere in the middle of your rev range, and intakes only get a couple more too.  Swapping the ECU to the Protege MP3 one gets you a couple more.  If I was looking for some actual gains, a catback exhaust and headers would be the best, but I don't really want to eliminate my catalytic converter doing it.

Turbo's are a mess with this car.  It can't take more than 8-9 psi on stock internals.  Not worth the hassle really.  Just makes it a ticking time bomb.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MrH

Quote from: Champ on December 17, 2007, 07:58:18 AM
I like that you are doing the brakes.  You might want to do some quick research on "high performance brake pads" because the actual track pads suck balls on the street.

I'm going to be going with Axxis Ultimate brake pads.  From what I hear, I should be fine in the cold.  They're not all out track pads, but a good compromise between street and track pads.

BTW, I edited the original list.  Forgot something.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

S204STi

Are there any supercharger kits available for your car?  That would be a good next step, after all of this.

MrH

Quote from: R-inge on December 17, 2007, 10:33:41 AM
Are there any supercharger kits available for your car?  That would be a good next step, after all of this.

Unfortunately no.  It can't take much boost anyways.  I'd be looking at $2,500+ for a turbo kit.  Not really worth it if I can only run 7 or 8 psi.  If I happen to cross a Mazdaspeed Protege in a junkyard, I wouldn't be against ripping it all out if I can get it cheap.

If I wanted the most bang for the buck in terms of power, I need to get a set of headers, cat back, and intake.  It wouldn't give me all that much power though.  It's pretty difficult to get anymore than 10 hp back for less than $500.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Champ

Quote from: MrH on December 17, 2007, 10:32:45 AM
I'm going to be going with Axxis Ultimate brake pads.  From what I hear, I should be fine in the cold.  They're not all out track pads, but a good compromise between street and track pads.

BTW, I edited the original list.  Forgot something.
Sounds good, I just want you to know the difference instead of people just buying the most "track" pad out there because it sounds good.  I use an Akebono Euro Ceramic pad which produces no dust.  I hated my wheels getting dirty in 3-4 days.

I wouldn't get the front strut bar, instead spend the same money on poly bushings for all your steering bits.  They are a bitch to replace but make the car really tight handling wise.

BimmerM3

Personally, I would start with the suspension stuff because I think it would make the most difference.

As a note, don't get overzealous spending money while you're co-oping. I'm not sure if you've ever lived on your own before, but I'm co-oping this term and my paychecks don't last near as long as I thought they would.

BTW, I love Protege5s. Good luck with the project.

MrH

Quote from: BimmerM3 on December 17, 2007, 08:59:36 PM
Personally, I would start with the suspension stuff because I think it would make the most difference.

As a note, don't get overzealous spending money while you're co-oping. I'm not sure if you've ever lived on your own before, but I'm co-oping this term and my paychecks don't last near as long as I thought they would.

BTW, I love Protege5s. Good luck with the project.

I'll be living at my apartment on campus for this fall.  For the summer, I'll either be staying at home, or living on campus pretty cheaply.  Either way, I'm not paying rent this semester (my parents are paying for it).  That means my only expenses are food and gas.  I'm hoping to only spend $2,000 worth of my co-op money on those two things.  The rest of the money I hope to save.

As for the money for my car, I'll be working two jobs.  I have another job that I've worked at for five years now at the Minor League Baseball team in town.  It pays well, and I can just work evenings and weekends.  I'll be working 8 AM to 10:30 or 11:00 PM a lot of days straight between my two jobs, but I hope to make enough doing this job to pay for all my car stuff.

How long I'll be able to withstand 15 hour work days, I'm not sure.  I figured this is the better route than just blowing all my co-op money on my car.  If things play out right, I should have about $14,000 saved by the end of just this summer.  If I save a lot of my co-op money from my future semesters, I'm hoping to have close to $20,000 for a house down payment (or I could just blow it all on a car), when I get out of college.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

The Pirate

Quote from: MrH on December 21, 2007, 09:39:06 AM
I'll be living at my apartment on campus for this fall.  For the summer, I'll either be staying at home, or living on campus pretty cheaply.  Either way, I'm not paying rent this semester (my parents are paying for it).  That means my only expenses are food and gas.  I'm hoping to only spend $2,000 worth of my co-op money on those two things.  The rest of the money I hope to save.

As for the money for my car, I'll be working two jobs.  I have another job that I've worked at for five years now at the Minor League Baseball team in town.  It pays well, and I can just work evenings and weekends.  I'll be working 8 AM to 10:30 or 11:00 PM a lot of days straight between my two jobs, but I hope to make enough doing this job to pay for all my car stuff.

How long I'll be able to withstand 15 hour work days, I'm not sure.  I figured this is the better route than just blowing all my co-op money on my car.  If things play out right, I should have about $14,000 saved by the end of just this summer.  If I save a lot of my co-op money from my future semesters, I'm hoping to have close to $20,000 for a house down payment (or I could just blow it all on a car), when I get out of college.

Definitely use the money for a house.  I've been steadily saving extra money for a house downpayment, hopefully in the next 5 years.  Personally, I'd much rather have an average (but still fun) car and a house instead of driving a 60K car while I live in an apartment.

And, you'd be surprised how quickly you get used to 15 hour days.  They aren't fun, but you'll adapt.

Cool thread too, I'll obviously be keeping track of it.

Lots of goodies here, and the guys that run the place are cool as hell.  I've emailed with questions a couple of times.
http://mazda3online.web.aplus.net/index.php?cPath=281_21_31

I'm going to do some suspension stuff to my car this summer, I'm considering Racing Beat springs and Tokico Illumina or Blue HB shocks.
http://mazda3online.web.aplus.net/product_info.php?cPath=281_21_31_60&products_id=466
http://mazda3online.web.aplus.net/product_info.php?cPath=281_21_31_60&products_id=341
http://mazda3online.web.aplus.net/product_info.php?cPath=281_21_31_60&products_id=285

I want to get an exhaust for the car, but that's a tough one.  I don't want it to sound like shit, and I've been unsuccessful in my attempts to find a decent clip of the 2.0 with a quality setup.  Should you have any insight here, I'm all ears.

And if you plan on doing install yourself, definitely buy from those guys at protegegarage.com.  They are great to deal with, their selection is quite good, and the prices are reasonable.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

BimmerM3

Quote from: MrH on December 21, 2007, 09:39:06 AM

Good stuff. I'll be the first to admit that I spend way too much money on food and gas (I went out to lunch pretty much every day, and I drove 500+ miles per week), so if you don't drive too much, are willing to make lunches for yourself, and since you have parents paying the rent, you should be fine.

Anyway, good luck with the co-op. This depends on where you work, but be prepared to work overtime at your co-op as well as having your extra job, and make sure that those two will not overlap (i.e., if you know you have a lot of work to do, get there early to make sure you can leave in time to make it to your other job). Personally, I wouldn't want to work two jobs, but if you can handle I say rock on. :rockon:

The Pirate

Oh yeah, brown-bagging your lunch saves a ton of money.  I'll allow myself to buy lunch once a week, if that.  Other than that, I pack one.  PBJs are your friend.

After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

MrH

I'm kind of a health freak, so I'll be packing my lunch everyday.  Should save quite a bit.

I'll explain in detail in a bit for The Pirate.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

MrH

To answer a few questions first:

I don't think I'll be working too late for my co-op.  From what I hear, it sounds pretty relaxed, and late nights are kind of a rarity.  In case I ever need to though, my other job is real flexible.  They want me to work every game I can, but any game I can't work, I don't have to.  I started training there when I was 15, so its been awhile.  My drive there is only 6 miles, so I won't be using a lot of gas money to get around either.

Quote from: The Pirate on December 21, 2007, 02:21:59 PM

Definitely use the money for a house.  I've been steadily saving extra money for a house downpayment, hopefully in the next 5 years.  Personally, I'd much rather have an average (but still fun) car and a house instead of driving a 60K car while I live in an apartment.

And, you'd be surprised how quickly you get used to 15 hour days.  They aren't fun, but you'll adapt.

Cool thread too, I'll obviously be keeping track of it.

Lots of goodies here, and the guys that run the place are cool as hell.  I've emailed with questions a couple of times.
http://mazda3online.web.aplus.net/index.php?cPath=281_21_31

I'm going to do some suspension stuff to my car this summer, I'm considering Racing Beat springs and Tokico Illumina or Blue HB shocks.
http://mazda3online.web.aplus.net/product_info.php?cPath=281_21_31_60&products_id=466
http://mazda3online.web.aplus.net/product_info.php?cPath=281_21_31_60&products_id=341
http://mazda3online.web.aplus.net/product_info.php?cPath=281_21_31_60&products_id=285

I want to get an exhaust for the car, but that's a tough one.  I don't want it to sound like shit, and I've been unsuccessful in my attempts to find a decent clip of the 2.0 with a quality setup.  Should you have any insight here, I'm all ears.

And if you plan on doing install yourself, definitely buy from those guys at protegegarage.com.  They are great to deal with, their selection is quite good, and the prices are reasonable.

I'll definitely be buying everything from protegegarage.com.  They are awesome.  Best prices, with a ton of stuff in stock.  I'm going with Tokico Blue's (I have a friend with the whites, and for my limited AutoX and track use, it's pointless to get the white's).  As for springs, I've been thinking about this for awhile.  Racing Beat is the conservative approach.  I'm thinking about getting H&R springs for a slightly more aggressive drop.  It's all a matter of what wheels and tires will rub at this point, which I'm still trying to figure out.

I'll be doing pretty much all the installations myself.  Crosswire said he'll help me with things, so it'll be a learning experience.  I don't have much hands on experience, but none of the things I'm doing are all that intensive, and I gotta start somewhere.

And yes, I'll probably be saving all that money for a house.  It's tempting to just drop it all on a 911 or something like that, but a house would probably be a better call.  I pretty much already have it set in my mind however:  If this whole project goes well, I'll be getting a third gen RX-7 and drop a 3-rotor into it in a couple of years.

As for exhausts, I'm considering it too.  Racing Beat makes the best sounding one in my opinion.  Doesn't sound like you're ripping ass down the street.  But if you want considerable horsepower gains, a header and midpipe are required too.  Even then, you're not looking at much.  I'm going to be looking at junkyards around the area.  If I can find a Mazdaspeed Protege somewhere, I'll definitely be ripping the turbo kit off it.  Or if I find an MP3, I'll snag the ECU.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Crosswire3

Just start stockpiling parts and we can tackle it all in one day.  However, since you're probably as impatient as I am, we'll probably be over in the Mech-E building every day putting on new stuff as it comes in  :tounge:

I know it's easy to buy everything new from that site you showed me, but I'd recommend checking out the forums.  With the list you have, going used on some stuff could save you quite a bit.  Also, like I said, we can fab up some of the stuff like strut bars if you want...I'm getting pretty good at that little item  :lol:

Anyways, you know I'm always free, after all, I'm just an engineering student...now you can finally join in the fun we have over at the Mech-E building.

MrH

Just a few updates:

Working on snagging some Tokico Blue's and Racing Beat springs with something like 30,000 miles (I forget how much exactly) for $180 or so if they'll still available.  They're about $500-600 new for all that, so it'd be a steal.

Also working on all the shifter stuff very cheap.

Finally, looking into wheels and tires used from Cleveland.  All this stuff is much cheaper than buying new.  All these deals are making me really want to try and find a turbo out of a Mazdaspeed Protege.  I'd be happy with a 40 hp increase for sure.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

r0tor

i'd pick Hawk HPS pads or their ceramic pads... cheaper and kick booty on the street and light auto-x/track use
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

MrH

How's the brake dust with those pads r0tor?  I heard it was pretty bad.

Update on the Protege5 situation.  Bought a rear cargo cover online.  Mine never came with one and I always did want one.  As for the guy who was selling me the shocks and springs...HE SOLD THEM RIGHT OUT FROM UNDER ME!!!  :rage:

Total dick move I think.  I asked him a few questions, and it was obvious I was interested.  We sent a few PM's to work out the logistics, and I verified his eBay name was indeed who I thought it was.  I sent a PM yesterday saying all the money is ready on PayPal, just give me the ok and I'll send it, and he sells it to someone else.  Glad I sent that last PM.  Would have been a mess if I PayPal'ed him money and he had already sold them.

There's coilovers on the forums for $700 shipped (usually $1300 new).  Too bad the front spring rates are something ridiculous like 500 lb/in.  That's the stiffest I've ever heard of for Protege's.  That's gotta be like riding wooden roller coaster around.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Champ

Quote from: MrH on December 28, 2007, 02:31:16 AM
I have also read the Hawk are bad on the dust but stop well.

SVT_Power

I thought firmer suspension didn't always equate to a harsher ride
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

MrH

Quote from: M_power on December 28, 2007, 09:55:06 AM
I thought firmer suspension didn't always equate to a harsher ride

That's true.  But when you triple your spring rate, it's bound to be stiffer.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

r0tor

Quote from: MrH on December 28, 2007, 02:31:16 AM

The HPS's have less dust then my OEM pads did (not saying much though... but its not bad at all) and are quieter too surprisingly.  They also have terrific cold bite but still work well when you abuse them - which is why i think they are a geat street/light track pad. 

I'm told by an auto-x friend their ceramic pads have the same or slightly better stopping power and temperature range as the HPS's with no dust at all.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

MrH

Somebody offered me leather seats for me to purchase (I've been actively trying to find some in the area).  They aren't stock ones however.  I'm pretty sure they are katzkins, and are red and black.  The guy said he'd sell them for $400.  I might see if I can get him to take my stock seats in return and give me a price cut.  Or maybe I'll just try to work him down on the price a tad.  New, katzkin seats are about $1,000 though, so it's not a bad deal.

Anyone's thoughts on red and black seats?  I think they look great in RX-8's.  Not sure how it'll look in my car, so lets hear some opinions.

Here's some pictures of them:

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

The Pirate

MrH

Quote from: The Pirate on January 01, 2008, 01:40:51 PM
What color is your car?

Silver: the fastest color of them all.  Also seems like the most cursed color.  People have been totalling silver MP5's all over the forums for years, much more than any other color.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

The Pirate

Quote from: MrH on January 01, 2008, 01:42:23 PM
Silver: the fastest color of them all.  Also seems like the most cursed color.  People have been totalling silver MP5's all over the forums for years, much more than any other color.

Hehehe, mine is silver as well.  Yeah, I think it'd look just fine with silver.  Yellow, not so much...

MrH

Don't like the McDonald's look?

I think these seats would look ridiculous in any color other than black, red, silver, or white, but even then, I'm still debating whether these are a little too gaudy for me.

They're a good price however, and I've always wanted some nice leather seats.  I have a few questions for this guy.  I'll keep you all updated.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

r0tor

i thought the red/black combo on my car was going to be too loud for me too... it grew on me very very quickly though

Champ

Aftermarket seat jobs like those never quite look as nice as a factory one for some reason...