2008 Econoline - official photos

Started by TheIntrepid, December 17, 2007, 05:22:32 PM

TheIntrepid

The new 2008 Ford E-Series commercial van - America's best selling cargo vans, cutaways and passenger wagons - gets a major makeover inspired by the new F-Series Super Duty's bold new front-end design to communicate a list of chassis and suspension upgrades that increase capability and improve ride and handling. Safety and security is also improved with the addition of available traction control and features such as the advanced E-Guard Cargo Protection System?, a segment exclusive, for added door-lock security.

Ford trucks are the trucks that America takes to work. In 2006, Ford posted a 40 percent share of the total commercial vehicle market for class 2 to class 7 trucks, up 1 whole percentage point from 2005. That means that nearly half of all of the commercial and fleet vehicles sold, from F-150 pickups to F-750 chassis cabs, wear the blue Ford oval.

"Ford is the undisputed commercial vehicle leader and growing," said Joe Castelli, director, Ford commercial truck marketing. "We own 40 percent of the commercial vehicle market and nearly 500,000 new commercial vehicles on the way this year alone."

Ford E-Series vans are used for a broad range of work, including transportation of large groups in passenger vans, goods and services deliveries in cargo vans (or wagons) and more specialized applications such as ambulances that are built from cutaway models. The common denominator is that each of these customers relies on their van's durability to conduct business, transport large groups or even save lives.

Ford's E-Series lineup is building on 28 straight years of leadership as sales are up eight percent in 2007, accounting for more than half of the full-size van market after taking 50 percent of the 350,000-van market in 2006. The dominant figures include about 65 percent share of the cutaway segment, including more than 90 percent of the ambulance business in this category. Ford also re-introduced the 6.0-liter Power Stroke diesel engine - a more fuel-efficient choice for ambulances that are constantly idling on standby - to the full-size van lineup.

The Ford E-Series has earned its reputation as the backbone of America's work force by consistently meeting customer needs, delivering capability, flexibility and dependability in an affordable vehicle.

"The E-Series lives up to the "Built Ford Tough" name," said Cristi Brown, E-Series marketing manager. "My customers consider their E-Series vans to be their largest "toolbox." It's what they work out of. It's an integral part of their business and directly affects how they make a living. They push their trucks to the limit on a daily basis. The improvements we've made for 2008 are in direct response to their ever-growing needs."

Purposeful, functional design improves capability

The 2008 Ford E-Series now looks just as tough as it is. The new design, inspired by the 2008 Super Duty, features all new sheet metal from the A-pillars forward including hood, fenders, radiator support, grille and bumpers.

"We enlarged the front end of the E-series with a bigger, bolder grille to showcase its strength and reliability," said Pat Schiavone, Ford truck design director. "We wanted to carry the distinct "Built Ford Tough" look that our truck and sport utility vehicles resemble into these capable vans."

The larger grille isn't just a part of that bold statement. It also improves capability by increasing airflow to the powertrain. The grille sits on a sharp, horizontal line that defines the upper portion of the bumper and provides a base for the unique stacked, dual-beam headlamps. Base models come with a sharp, contrasting black bumper, grille and headlamp surrounds, while the high series feature an all-chrome treatment.

"For larger fleets the capability is the most important consideration," said Brown. "But for the smaller guys, their trucks are like rolling billboards. They advertise the business so it's very important for them to make a good impression when they pull onto the job site or into the driveway."

Up fitters, those who convert E-Series cutaways into motor homes, box vans, and a variety of other hard working vehicles, will be pleased to know the change in the 2008 E-Series attitude hasn't affected the vehicle's critical dimensions.

"Interestingly, one important thing that many of our customers want to hear about is what's not changing," said Rob Stevens, E-Series chief engineer. "The up fitters make up an important segment of our business and have designed their tooling to fit the dimensions of our vehicles. If we change our door openings, all of their tooling becomes outdated. To that point, door structures and floor structure measurements are carryover and seat attachments are in the exact same location."

Power when you need it designed to meet your needs

The Ford E-Series is the only vehicle in its segment to offer a standard V-8. The E-150 and E-250 cargo vans come with a 4.6-liter TRITON V-8 engine and, new for the 2008 model year, the E-450 now comes standard with a 5.4-liter V-8.

"We're offering a standard 5.4-liter V-8 to give our customers more options," said Brown.

The E-350 can opt for the 6.8-liter TRITON V-10 delivering segment-leading 305 horsepower and 420 ft.-lb. of torque. A 6.0-liter Power Stroke diesel that makes 305 horsepower and 420 ft.-lb. of torque is available on the E350 commercial cargo vans, E350 regular-length wagons and E350 and E450 cutaways.

Transmission choices include a 4-speed automatic with overdrive mated to the 4.6-liter and 5.4-liter engines in vans and wagons. On cutaways, the 5.4L, 6.8L gasoline and 6.0-liter diesel engines are mated to the 5-speed TorqShift automatic transmission with tow/haul mode.

When properly equipped, the E-150 Van can tow up to 7,500 pounds, the E-150 Wagon up to 7,100 pounds, and the E-350 Super Duty and Super Duty Extended Wagon up to 10,000 pounds each. An available Class II/III/IV Trailer Tow Package includes an electric brake controller with tap-in capability, a seven-pin trailer wiring harness with bumper bracket, and a relay system for backup and running lights.

A Power Take-Off Provision is optional on 6.8L cutaways and strip chassis with 158- and 176-in. wheelbases. It provides an access panel in the transmission housing to connect a PTO system.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Raghavan

Isn't this thing like 30 years old? The interior shows it.
Still, it's good for business I guess.

ifcar

The 2008 E-Series has been on sale for months, why post it now?

TheIntrepid

Quote from: ifcar on December 17, 2007, 05:55:22 PM
The 2008 E-Series has been on sale for months, why post it now?

It was just released on NetCarShow, and I haven't seen or heard of it before as far as I can remember? :huh:

ifcar

C/D put up a picture in the spring, and it went on sale over the summer. It was in GWCUS in October or thereabouts, and Wimmer knew what it was.

Catman

How many different grilles have been slapped on that old body? :zzz:

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Raghavan on December 17, 2007, 05:39:59 PM
Isn't this thing like 30 years old? The interior shows it.
Still, it's good for business I guess.

I think the Aerostar my family rented for a trip to Florida in like 1995 had a better interior than this does.

TBR

What the dash looks like is pretty much completely irrelevant.

CJ

I have yet to see a civilian version.  I've only seen one, and it was a Direct TV truck.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Catman on December 17, 2007, 07:45:08 PM
How many different grilles have been slapped on that old body? :zzz:

Old body is the right shape (square) and get's the job done. I suppose that's all it needs to do to keep selling.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Submariner

"The 2008 Ford E-Series now looks just as tough as it is."

It looks like a flaming pile of turd...

"Base models come with a sharp, contrasting black bumper, grille and headlamp surrounds, while the high series feature an all-chrome treatment."

It's not sharp, assholes.  It looks like shit. 

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

TBR

I just wish they would change the back, it is so generic.

Catman

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 17, 2007, 08:06:54 PM
Old body is the right shape (square) and get's the job done. I suppose that's all it needs to do to keep selling.

Still boring though.  I think the new front will work out well for ambulances.  There's lots of placed to mount lights and stuff. :ohyeah:

Colonel Cadillac

I wonder what the average profit per truck they make is. I bet it's outstanding.

the Teuton

Yeah, that's been out for a while.  While the interior is trash, the raper/stalker special edition white Sprinter I looked at didn't have much better materials inside.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

TheIntrepid

Quote from: the Teuton on December 17, 2007, 09:37:29 PM
Yeah, that's been out for a while.  While the interior is trash, the raper rapist/stalker special edition white Sprinter I looked at didn't have much better materials inside.

Fixed

Submariner

Yeah, that's been out for a while.  While the interior is trash, the raper/stalker special edition white Sprinter I looked at didn't have much better materials inside.

You're not living the high life in either, but the air vent in the sprinter likely costs as much as the interior of the E-series.  The Sprinter is ok...the E-series is absolute rubbish.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

omicron

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

omicron

280Z Turbo

This reminds me of the 2003 Silverado when GM slapped an angular, aggressive looking front end on a soft 1990's body. They don't go together.

ifcar

I assume you were in the old Sprinter. Unlike Ford, MB redesigned its van.

But, as others have said, Ford didn't need to redesign the E-Series. It's not designed to be driven by those who buy them, so it doesn't matter how cruddy it is as long as it works functionally and its price stays low.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

omicron

the Teuton

Quote from: ifcar on December 17, 2007, 09:47:54 PM
I assume you were in the old Sprinter. Unlike Ford, MB redesigned its van.

But, as others have said, Ford didn't need to redesign the E-Series. It's not designed to be driven by those who buy them, so it doesn't matter how cruddy it is as long as it works functionally and its price stays low.

Come on, who needs redesigns?

280Z Turbo

Quote from: omicron on December 17, 2007, 09:49:24 PM
All is well - there's an Indecent Fiddling option for that.

Does it come with no windows and "Free Candy" decals?

The Pirate

Meh, I don't care for the front end redesign.  They are solid trucks otherwise, and I like 'em.  I secretly lust for an E-350 Club Wagon with the diesel and a Quigley 4WD system. 
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

JYODER240

I saw one of these on the road last week and it looked horrible.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

SVT666

Quote from: The Pirate on December 17, 2007, 09:53:28 PM
Meh, I don't care for the front end redesign.  They are solid trucks otherwise, and I like 'em.  I secretly lust for an E-350 Club Wagon with the diesel and a Quigley 4WD system. 
Right on man!  Jack it up, stuff 33" under it, give it 4x4, and make the roof pop up for the sleeping quarters, and I would buy one.