GT-R does 0-60 in...

Started by CJ, December 18, 2007, 10:42:01 PM

CJ

Raghavan

Looking at those slalom videos, it looks like the car handles its weight really well.

Champ

CJ

People are saying the Z06 is the performance bargain of the century, well...it just lost that title.

Raghavan

Quote from: CJ on December 18, 2007, 10:54:04 PM
People are saying the Z06 is the performance bargain of the century, well...it just lost that title.
No, not really. The Z06 does it in ~3.5 seconds, so it's no slouch, plus the Z06 costs $65k, this will cost over $80k.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Raghavan on December 18, 2007, 10:55:15 PM
No, not really. The Z06 does it in ~3.5 seconds, so it's no slouch, plus the Z06 costs $65k, this will cost over $80k.

Not according to what I've been reading: it will cost between $55 and $60k.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 18, 2007, 10:56:26 PM
Not according to what I've been reading: it will cost between $55 and $60k.

Then I'm buying one.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Secret Chimp

I would pay the extra $15,000 to have this thing over a V8 strapped to an oxcart with sticky tires.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

LonghornTX

I don't know, I feel at ~100k, the new ZR-1 may be even more of a bargain than the 80k GT-R.  But then a light weight version of the GT-R might push that the other way....Oh well, I give up.
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

Secret Chimp

I just watched the video again and some other ones - why is this thing so quiet?

the Teuton

Will this car be seriously marked up?  You bet your bottom Yen it will.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

nickdrinkwater

Glad we don't have 'mark-ups' here then!

the Teuton

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on December 19, 2007, 01:00:04 AM
Glad we don't have 'mark-ups' here then!

You also don't get to negotiate prices, either, and you pay a lot more than we do even with the markups, which kinda sucks, but it I think we still get the better end of the deal.  What is minimum wage in England, though?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Holy crap,

11.6 at 121 mph. 

The best Edmunds ever got out of the Z06 was 12.0 at 121.8 mph.

It's down 32hp and heavier by 700 pounds.  The amount of underrating must be extreme.  In order to match the Z06's power to weight ratio the GTR needs to make 617 hp.

Best of all it's not a Nissan provided machine, they found a privately owned example that's hardly broken in.

ChrisV

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

ifcar

ChrisV, I think you missed a part of his post:

Quote from: 565 on December 19, 2007, 07:08:55 AM

The best Edmunds ever got out of the Z06 was 12.0 at 121.8 mph.

Edmunds tends to get slower acceleration times than most other reviewers. Apples to oranges.

FlatBlackCaddy

A dual clutch transmission with lauch control sending power to all the wheels means it doesn't have to have the power to weight of a Z06 to match the initial acceleration figures. The Z06 is sure to overtake after the 1/4 mile.

I'm sure there will be minimal cross shopping with the corvette(and vice versa).

omicron

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on December 19, 2007, 07:48:44 AM
A dual clutch transmission with lauch control sending power to all the wheels means it doesn't have to have the power to weight of a Z06 to match the initial acceleration figures. The Z06 is sure to overtake after the 1/4 mile.

I'm sure there will be minimal cross shopping with the corvette(and vice versa).

Why is that?

FlatBlackCaddy

omicron

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on December 19, 2007, 08:31:15 AM
Seriously.....

I'd gladly cross-shop a GTR with a Z06, and I don't see why others wouldn't.

Secret Chimp

Quote from: omicron on December 19, 2007, 08:33:37 AM

Most Corvette buyers are retired fat guys.

SVT_Power

I can't stop staring at your sig there chimp
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

omicron

Quote from: Secret Chimp on December 19, 2007, 08:35:45 AM
Most Corvette buyers are retired fat guys.

I would like to buy a Corvette and immediately change this demographic. :ohyeah:

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: omicron on December 19, 2007, 08:33:37 AM

Sorry, i thought you were disputing the first half of my post.

I just don't think they will be shopped by most of the people looking to buy either one of these cars, they are for the most part very different machines.

I'd wager that 80-90% of corvette sales go to corvette people(vette owners for several years) or GM people in general(wanted a vette all their life). Very few(20% or less) are casual sports car buyers that end up in a vette.

The GTR would have the same scenario, i'm guessing most of the GTR buyers will be people coming from modified imports or a few looking to get 911(or german) performance at a fraction of the price.

The GTR is technology packed, its performance is obtained through a complex drivetrain(compared to a N/A V8) and offers high performance while still offering luxury items for daily driving.

The corvette is every bit a daily driver as the GTR is, though the lack of AWD and a rear seat will give it the image of being a weekend toy.

Plenty of people daily drive their vettes, but most don't have to. Most corvette owners(just about all up north) bought the vette as a weekend toy or track car. I'm sure alot of the GTR will be the only car for the purchaser. They will see DD duty even in some snowy climates.

Just my thought on it, i see the two having completely different buyers. I know in my area for every 300 corvettes i see(maybe alittle less) i see maybe 2 or 3 with someone under 40 behind the wheel, most are 50 or above. I'm willing to bet the GTR will pull in much younger buyers.

SVT_Power

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on December 19, 2007, 08:43:31 AM
I'm willing to bet the GTR will pull in much younger buyers.

Even if the vette costs 40k and the GT-R is supposed to cost somewhere around 70-80k?
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: M_power on December 19, 2007, 08:52:51 AM
Even if the vette costs 40k and the GT-R is supposed to cost somewhere around 70-80k?

Yes, look at the age of imported R32/33/34 buyers. Those were going for 50-80K and that was for a USED car.

There are people out there in their late 20's early 30's with 30K 350Z's dumping 20-30K in performance mods on them.

The money's there and this is a car that interests them.

Tave

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on December 19, 2007, 08:58:03 AM
Yes, look at the age of imported R32/33/34 buyers. Those were going for 50-80K and that was for a USED car.

There are people out there in their late 20's early 30's with 30K 350Z's dumping 20-30K in performance mods on them.

The money's there and this is a car that interests them.

But those people are now 15-20 years older...
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

omicron

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on December 19, 2007, 08:43:31 AM
Sorry, i thought you were disputing the first half of my post.

I just don't think they will be shopped by most of the people looking to buy either one of these cars, they are for the most part very different machines.

I'd wager that 80-90% of corvette sales go to corvette people(vette owners for several years) or GM people in general(wanted a vette all their life). Very few(20% or less) are casual sports car buyers that end up in a vette.

The GTR would have the same scenario, i'm guessing most of the GTR buyers will be people coming from modified imports or a few looking to get 911(or german) performance at a fraction of the price.

The GTR is technology packed, its performance is obtained through a complex drivetrain(compared to a N/A V8) and offers high performance while still offering luxury items for daily driving.

The corvette is every bit a daily driver as the GTR is, though the lack of AWD and a rear seat will give it the image of being a weekend toy.

Plenty of people daily drive their vettes, but most don't have to. Most corvette owners(just about all up north) bought the vette as a weekend toy or track car. I'm sure alot of the GTR will be the only car for the purchaser. They will see DD duty even in some snowy climates.

Just my thought on it, i see the two having completely different buyers. I know in my area for every 300 corvettes i see(maybe alittle less) i see maybe 2 or 3 with someone under 40 behind the wheel, most are 50 or above. I'm willing to bet the GTR will pull in much younger buyers.

I should have better indicated what part to which I was referring. My fault.

I've seen enough market research data to believe that perceptions of buyer profiles are often highly misleading. Similarly, I live in a country in which Corvettes and new Skyline GT-Rs are bought by people with greater wealth than equivalent US buyers - a Z06 is far more accessible to US buyers than it is to Australian buyers given import, conversion and compliance costs, for example. As a result, my perception of Corvette buyers is probably skewed from the US norm. Lucky you and your cheap performance cars!

For example, I'd estimate that in Australia there are comparably and proportionally far fewer younger buyers with the capacity to spend MSRP for a GT-R or Z06 than there are in in the US.

The fundamentals remain the same, however - a Nissan GT-R buyer is not necessarily different to a Corvette Z06 buyer. It would be wrong, for example, for Nissan to produce highly-targeted marketing efforts towards individuals who, as you describe, express desires for more technologically-advanced, better-quality performance cars than a comparable Corvette. Certainly, these people require attention, but not at the expense of wider appeal for the car. I for one would gladly shop a pushrod RWD GM thunderbox against a high-tech Japanese AWD microchip, and it would be dangerous for Nissan or Chevrolet to believe that their respective buyer profiles are explicitly split between the two.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Tave on December 19, 2007, 08:59:53 AM
But those people are now 15-20 years older...

How do you figure that, i'm talking about the importation and legalization of japanese skylines by companies in the US. This just started(and boomed) around 5-7 years ago. Alot of those people that bought them were in their late 20's iirc.

Tave

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on December 19, 2007, 09:12:17 AM
How do you figure that, i'm talking about the importation and legalization of japanese skylines by companies in the US. This just started(and boomed) around 5-7 years ago. Alot of those people that bought them were in their late 20's iirc.

My mistake. I thought they were importing them in the late 80s, early 90s.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.