**** Collection Schlumpf - Part1. The Bugatti's **** (Big file!)

Started by Colin, December 18, 2007, 11:33:40 PM

Colin

As an antidote to the short days of western Europe at this time of year, I spent last Sunday at what is now called the "Cite de l'Automobile", also known as the "Musee Nationale de l'Automobile - collection Schlumpf". What an absolute stunner this place is. Unquestionnably one of the most impressive auto collections anywhere in the world.

I took 183 pictures, which is rather a lot to put in one thread, so I am putting all the Bugatti stuff here, and will create a separate thread for everything else.

It is for Bugattis that Schlumpf is really famous. The brothers were secretly buying up as many cars as they could and storing them in the old mill warehouse in Mulhouse, until they went bankrupt, and the workers broke in and discovered an absolute treasure trove. The collection is now part of the "patrimonie" of France, and has been augmented still further.

The main part of the collection is arranged down several lines, ordered roughly chronologically, well spaced out, and with ample lighting. There is a separate, and rather less well lit hall for the really valuable stuff, called "les grands oeuvres". This is where 2 of the world's Bugatti Royales can be found, along with several other Bugatti, and various Rolls Royces, Hispano Suiza, Isotta Fraschini. Not content with 2 x Bugatti Royale, there is a third example, actually created in 1990... that is on display outside the main hall and was one of the first cars I came to.

The other 2 Royales are rather more dimly lit, so apologies that these photos are a little on the dark side. Look carefully at the rather brash interior of one of them, too.

There were some other Bugattis in this hall as well, including these:

Also in a special display area were a series of Type 57s........ just savour these:

Yet another display hall is all about the Schlumpf brothers, and this contains just a small number of cars, including one of the Type 35s:

One of the other special display areas is a "racing" section. Among many highlights are a line of racing blue Bugattis, mainly Type 35s. What an impressive sight this is:

One of the more unusual items is the Type 32, known colloquially as "The Tank"

Otherwise, there are just Bugattis everywhere you look. Some are more familiar than others. I did not write down all the Types (shame on me), so just enjoy the pictures.

This one is a Type 43, I think

And I am pretty sure this is a Type 44

Some of the more unusual cars were the very late models.

The green one here is actually a 1951 body on a pre-war Type 57.

The very last Bugatti before they ceased production.

A couple of Type 101s:

Bringing the story bang up to date, there is, of course a Veyron, resplendent on a turntable, and looking very much like the worthy successor to the fabulous machines of an earlier age.

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Soup DeVille

The Royales were the Esders roadster, the Berline d'Voyage, and the Coupe Napolean?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Tave

Is it just me, or does this:

remind one of the front end of this:

No?

Were there any EBs in the museum?
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Yawn

Its unfortunate that arent a wider selection of Bugatti's on the market today.