Corvette ZR-1 unveiled.

Started by LonghornTX, December 19, 2007, 03:18:03 PM

Tave

Oh hey, I found it. Thanks for nothing. :thumbsup:

From MT:

Angelelli saved the Z06 for last because prior experience suggested it would be a handful. "This one is definitely the most difficult to drive because of the low grip and high power." He doubts tires are the only culprit. "The front seems soft and heavy, and the rear seems to stiff and very light. So when you go into all the corners, you have enormous oversteer. Off power, on power, on brake - everywhere." Angelelli also felt the chassis could use more torsional rigidity. He praised the steering and the limited-slip differential, however, and reckoned he'd love to take a Z06 out hunting Ferraris on the Italian autostrada, but for a twisty road - he'll choose the 911 or Exige. "

So I hope they sorted it out, otherwise that extra power isn't the improvement the numbers suggest.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on December 19, 2007, 03:44:46 PM
If it wasn't for the hood bulge you could just get a z06 hood.

I'm guessing its flush with the hood surface, so no you couldn't cover it up without doing a completely ass horrible job. You shouldn't have to do that on a (probobly) 100K limited build car.

Dude...if you've got money for this car, then you have got money to have a good custom shop "fix" that for you. :rolleyes:

What a silly reason to hate a car. :rolleyes:

Tave

Quote from: HEMI666 on December 19, 2007, 03:58:42 PM
Hardly.  IIRC the last ZR-1's performance was only marginally better then the base Vette because the engine (designed and built by Mercury Marine) was much heavier then the base Vette's engine.

What are you talking about? The ZR-1 was the fastest production vette until the C5 Z06 was released. 0-60 in 4.6 with a top speed over 180+ mph. In any event, I wasn't talking about how fast it was, so I'm really confused by your response. I was talking about the build of the motor.

From Wiki:

the huge performance of the LT5 engine was matched by its robustness. As evidence of this, a stock ZR-1 set a number of international and world records at a test track in Fort Stockton, Texas on March 1, 1990, verified by the FIA (F?d?ration Internationale de l'Automobile), including seven new international records:

100 miles (160 km) at 175.600 mph (282.601 km/h)
500 miles (800 km) at 175.503 mph (282.445 km/h)
1,000 miles (1,600 km) at 174.428 mph (280.715 km/h)
5000 km at 175.710 mph (World Record)
5,000 miles (8,000 km) at 173.791 mph (World Record)
12 Hours Endurance at 175.523 mph (282.477 km/h)
24 Hours Endurance at 175.885 mph (283.059 km/h) for 4,221.256 Miles (World Record)
These records remain unbeaten today by any production car, including both the Corvette C5 and C6 Z06s
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

VetteZ06

Wow, that's candy for my eyes. Just gorgeous. I don't know if I'd be able to decide between the blue or the black. I love the look of the rear end with the lip spoiler. :wub:

And, just as Mr. Wallace promised me, it has carbon ceramic brake rotors. :praise: :ohyeah:

SVT666

Quote from: Tave on December 19, 2007, 04:09:11 PM
What are you talking about? The ZR-1 was the fastest production vette until the C5 Z06 was released. 0-60 in 4.6 with a top speed over 180+ mph. In any event, I wasn't talking about how fast it was, so I'm really confused by your response. I was talking about the build of the motor.
PERFORMANCE

1990 Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1

Engine:
375hp 350 c.i. V-8

Transmission:
Six Speed Manual

Axle ratio:
3.45:1

Weight

Acceleration
Sec.

0-60 mph

Standing 1/4 mi.
13.4@109 mph

Source:
Car & Driver 9/1990

Road & Track had a comparo in 1991 between the newly introduced Viper RT/10 and the ZR-1 with the Viper beating it and R&T calling it the new King of the Hill.

Raza

Quote from: Tave on December 19, 2007, 03:54:30 PM
Hmm...I think the coolest aspect of the last ZR-1 was its endurance motor and ability to run at full power forever and ever.

Not saying this one won't, but to me, it doesn't seem quite as special as the original. It's just another Vette with more power.

Like you said, hopefully the big rubber out back will help put the power down. And hopefully they've fized whatever it is that sends the Z06 flying all over the place. What was the name of the race-car driver that reviewed it awhile ago. I'm trying to search the Spin but am comming up blank. Was it Andrellini? Something like that? I know it starts with an "A."

Max Angelelli. 

As for the car, I hate the duel side vent aft the front wheels, prefer the brake ducts on the C5 Z06; why are the ones on this so high up?  They look weird.

Then again, I don't like the C6 much anyway, but the standard, unadorned model looks much better to me. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Tave

Quote from: HEMI666 on December 19, 2007, 04:26:45 PM
PERFORMANCE

OK. I pulled that number from Wiki and have no idea if it's right, but why do I have to say for the third time, "I'M TALKING ABOUT THE ENDURANCE OF THE MOTOR?"

I have no doubt the new ZR-1 will be faster, but I'm skeptical that its engine will match the original for quality of build/durability.

gasoline

I go away for a moment and look what explodes! Cool.

-----------------------------------

Raza

ZR-1 was co-developed with Lotus. 

It's also my favorite iteration of Corvette!

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MX793

Quote from: the Teuton on December 19, 2007, 03:30:32 PM
GT-R what? 

If this thing can't beat the Nissan around the 'Ring by a sizable margin, I will be surprised.  I like how "project Blue Devil" gets its own shade of blue, too.  Clever.

Faster, sure, but the GT-R is both fast and something you could conceivably drive day to day, including in rain and even snow (AWD FTW).  I'd like to see somebody try to handle this thing on slick roads.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

SVT666

Quote from: Tave on December 19, 2007, 04:37:58 PM
I have no doubt the new ZR-1 will be faster, but I'm skeptical that its engine will match the original for quality of build/durability.
There is no reason not to believe this engine will be as durable and have the build quality of the last ZR-1 motor.  GM builds the best and most bullet proof V8 in the world.

Tave

Quote from: HEMI666 on December 19, 2007, 04:49:42 PM
There is no reason not to believe this engine will be as durable and have the build quality of the last ZR-1 motor.

Well so far the ZR-1 is one of the most durable motors on the planet, so yeah, there's every reason to believe others won't match it.

QuoteGM builds the best and most bullet proof V8 in the world.

Then why hasn't the C5 or C6 Z06 broken the ZR-1's endurance records?

(I don't know either, maybe they haven't even tried, or maybe they know they can't)

gasoline

Quote from: Raza  on December 19, 2007, 04:29:16 PM
Max Angelelli. 

As for the car, I hate the duel side vent aft the front wheels, prefer the brake ducts on the C5 Z06; why are the ones on this so high up?  They look weird.

Then again, I don't like the C6 much anyway, but the standard, unadorned model looks much better to me. 
Same thing I was thinking. But overall I like the C6.

gasoline

Quote from: HEMI666 on December 19, 2007, 04:49:42 PM
There is no reason not to believe this engine will be as durable and have the build quality of the last ZR-1 motor.  GM builds the best and most bullet proof V8 in the world.
That's right.

SVT666

Quote from: Tave on December 19, 2007, 04:55:45 PM
Well so far the ZR-1 is one of the most durable motors on the planet, so yeah, there's every reason to believe others won't match it.

Then why hasn't the C5 or C6 Z06 broken the ZR-1's endurance records?

(I don't know either, maybe they haven't even tried, or maybe they know they can't)

My guess is they haven't tried.

Tave

On a somewhat more embarrassing note, my friend's mother owns a C4 ZR-1, and according to her husband, she has never exceeded 55 mph in it :cry:

Raza

Quote from: Tave on December 19, 2007, 05:13:36 PM
On a somewhat more embarrassing note, my friend's mother owns a C4 ZR-1, and according to her husband, she has never exceeded 55 mph in it :cry:

I'll give her 15,000 for it.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Tave

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=12547.msg682305#msg682305 date=1198109902
I'll give her 15,000 for it.

Convincing her would be the easy part. Her husband is another matter...

FlatBlackCaddy

I like the old ZR-1, thought about getting one before i got my Z. I just can't handle the digital revolution that the interior had going on. Awesome motor though.

Raza

Quote from: Tave on December 19, 2007, 05:20:55 PM
Convincing her would be the easy part. Her husband is another matter...

Nothing a shovel can't take care of...

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

GoCougs

Quote from: HEMI666 on December 19, 2007, 03:58:42 PM
Hardly.  IIRC the last ZR-1's performance was only marginally better then the base Vette because the engine (designed and built by Mercury Marine) was much heavier then the base Vette's engine.

The LT-5 was likely as light or lighter than the base L98 and LT-1 engines as each used iron blocks (where as the LT-5 was all aluminum).

The ZR-1 was a materially quicker/faster car than the base 'Vette. It had anywhere from a 105 to 130 hp advantage.

I have no idea why people remember the ZR-1 as having such impressive acceleration when it was such a disappointment for its power rating.

Here it is getting beaten in acceleration by every car in the test except for the 255hp RX-7.

The ZR-1 had the most HP of any car in that test (405hp).  That power didn't start showing up until the extreme top end, displayed in that high top speed number.

The much less powerful and similarly heavy Supra had no trouble beating the ZR-1.

Overall the ZR-1 had trouble pulling much of a lead over the upgraded LT-1 and especially LT-4 corvettes until well into the triple digits.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: 565 on December 19, 2007, 06:21:46 PM
I have no idea why people remember the ZR-1 as having such impressive acceleration when it was such a disappointment for its power rating.

Here it is getting beaten in acceleration by every car in the test except for the 255hp RX-7.

The ZR-1 had the most HP of any car in that test (405hp).  That power didn't start showing up until the extreme top end, displayed in that high top speed number.

The much less powerful and similarly heavy Supra had no trouble beating the ZR-1.

Overall the ZR-1 had trouble pulling much of a lead over the upgraded LT-1 and especially LT-4 corvettes until well into the triple digits.

I have four words for you:

Double Over Head Camshafts

:lol:

GoCougs

At least in that test, the relatively high 1/4 mile trap, and the highest top speed by quite a margin, speaks to traction issues IMO.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on December 19, 2007, 06:26:04 PM
I have four words for you:

Double Over Head Camshafts

:lol:

No, Toyota just = the magic company of awesomeness that can pull horsepowers out of thin air and make perfect automobiles
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

93JC

Quote from: the Teuton on December 19, 2007, 03:40:10 PM
If I'm not mistaken, that's the 5.3 liter V8 that's used in GM's full-size FWD sedans.

LS4

280Z Turbo

Quote from: NACar on December 19, 2007, 06:31:56 PM
No, Toyota just = the magic company of awesomeness that can pull horsepowers out of thin air and make perfect automobiles

Back in the 90's Toyota was cool. They used to make the twin turbo Supra and Mid engined MR2.

Now they've grown up, got married, had a kid, and you can't party with them anymore. :cry:

the Teuton

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on December 19, 2007, 06:38:45 PM
Back in the 90's Toyota was cool. They used to make the twin turbo Supra and Mid engined MR2.

Now they've grown up, got married, had a kid, and you can't party with them anymore. :cry:

Pretty much.  Also, the Supra was a loss leader in America.  They could not make a profit on it, as it probably should have been selling for closer to $60k in America than $40k in turbo form.  Toyota actually had to lower the price of the car to keep in selling in the US.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on December 19, 2007, 06:56:48 PM
Pretty much.  Also, the Supra was a loss leader in America.  They could not make a profit on it, as it probably should have been selling for closer to $60k in America than $40k in turbo form.  Toyota actually had to lower the price of the car to keep in selling in the US.

It's their fault for not having an efficient manufacturing process like Chevy Corvettes did.  :evildude:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on December 19, 2007, 06:38:45 PM

:hesaid:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide