Corvette ZR-1 unveiled.

Started by LonghornTX, December 19, 2007, 03:18:03 PM

LonghornTX

Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

FlatBlackCaddy

Well nobody asked you....

Anyway right off the bat i notice they got the wheelgap right. Looks good.

FlatBlackCaddy

AHHHH>>>>>@(@!)@(

Just scrolled over(small monitor), what is with the hood bulge with the clear panel. Looks half assed, should have left the bulge(i know the bulge was required) solid.

FlatBlackCaddy

I was alittle worried about the power getting down in this thing, sure its got 100 more hp than a Z06 but that doesn't mean all of it will hookup and knock over a half a second off the already amazing 0-60 time of 3.6 seconds. I do see that GM hedged their bets and put 335's in the rear, that should help get the power down.

I giggled alittle bit about the brakes, not because of what they are but because of the no rotor replacement for the lifetime of the vehicle. Alot of people complain about rotors going out all the time and requiring constant replacement.

Looks good, should be extremely fast. The only thing i really don't like is the hole in the hood(showing you a plastic cover no less), looks like a snap together model car in that sense.

the Teuton

GT-R what? 

If this thing can't beat the Nissan around the 'Ring by a sizable margin, I will be surprised.  I like how "project Blue Devil" gets its own shade of blue, too.  Clever.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Tave

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

S204STi

FlatBlackCaddy

LS3 i believe

6.2L supercharged

Edit:

I was wrong.

"An all-new LS9 motor produces 620 horsepower at 6500 rpm and 595 pound-feet of torque at 4000 rpm. Delivering 100 horsepower per liter, the supercharged 6.2-liter V8 is mated to a close-ratio six-speed manual gearbox with a new high-capacity clutch designed for the increased power. The twin-disc 260mm design provides plenty of clamping power, while maintaining a relatively easy clutch action"

MrH

I'm a huge fan of blue cars, but this looks so much better in black.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

FlatBlackCaddy

That Graphite color in the posts above looks pretty good.

God that clear hood bulge drives me nuts.

the Teuton

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on December 19, 2007, 03:36:15 PM
LS3 i believe

If I'm not mistaken, that's the 5.3 liter V8 that's used in GM's full-size FWD sedans.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

280Z Turbo

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on December 19, 2007, 03:38:56 PM
That Graphite color in the posts above looks pretty good.

God that clear hood bulge drives me nuts.

I like it, but I'm sure you can get some bondo and paint to cover it up.

The Pirate

Love the rear end.  That lip spoiler looks great.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

the Teuton

I hope they don't try to peddle it for $100k, even though they are justified if they do.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on December 19, 2007, 03:40:21 PM
I like it, but I'm sure you can get some bondo and paint to cover it up.

If it wasn't for the hood bulge you could just get a z06 hood.

I'm guessing its flush with the hood surface, so no you couldn't cover it up without doing a completely ass horrible job. You shouldn't have to do that on a (probobly) 100K limited build car.

Its not a ferrari, so why the clear panel. Also(this is to GM) if you happen to have looked at a ferrari or lamborghini you would see that when you look through the glass panel you see finely crafted and painted intake plenums NOT $10 pressed plastic panels.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: the Teuton on December 19, 2007, 03:43:10 PM
I hope they don't try to peddle it for $100k, even though they are justified if they do.

I'm sure it will be close, this thing will not be made in large numbers(i didn't see the production amount anywhere buy you know it isn't going to be at every dealer). These will be high buck low volume for the uber vette fan with probobly a short production run.

the Teuton

FBC, look at the Audi, though.  That's a different story.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: the Teuton on December 19, 2007, 03:45:58 PM
FBC, look at the Audi, though.  That's a different story.

I don't follow, what audi, what am i looking at.

SVT666

That window in the hood should have been a hole and it should mate up to the engine cover.  Otherwise, this car is badass.  I love it.

the Teuton

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on December 19, 2007, 03:46:55 PM
I don't follow, what audi, what am i looking at.

The R8's engine is a big piece of plastic with some cool ambient lighting around it.  While I think the Vette's arrangement is tacky, it's not the worst by any stretch.

SVT666

Quote from: the Teuton on December 19, 2007, 03:40:10 PM
If I'm not mistaken, that's the 5.3 liter V8 that's used in GM's full-size FWD sedans.
You are mistaken.  The LS3 is the new V8 in the base Vette that produces 436 hp.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: HEMI666 on December 19, 2007, 03:52:51 PM
That window in the hood should have been a hole and it should mate up to the engine cover.  Otherwise, this car is badass.  I love it.

That would be better, but my guess is that the engine moving around would rip the shit out of it. They would have had to have atleast a 4"-6" gap between the edged to make it work, that would have looked horrible.

They should just put a regular hood on it, problem solved. The rest of the car looks great.

Tave

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on December 19, 2007, 03:36:15 PM
LS3 i believe

6.2L supercharged

Edit:

I was wrong.

"An all-new LS9 motor produces 620 horsepower at 6500 rpm and 595 pound-feet of torque at 4000 rpm. Delivering 100 horsepower per liter, the supercharged 6.2-liter V8 is mated to a close-ratio six-speed manual gearbox with a new high-capacity clutch designed for the increased power. The twin-disc 260mm design provides plenty of clamping power, while maintaining a relatively easy clutch action"

Hmm...I think the coolest aspect of the last ZR-1 was its endurance motor and ability to run at full power forever and ever.

Not saying this one won't, but to me, it doesn't seem quite as special as the original. It's just another Vette with more power.

Like you said, hopefully the big rubber out back will help put the power down. And hopefully they've fized whatever it is that sends the Z06 flying all over the place. What was the name of the race-car driver that reviewed it awhile ago. I'm trying to search the Spin but am comming up blank. Was it Andrellini? Something like that? I know it starts with an "A."
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

SVT666

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on December 19, 2007, 03:54:09 PM
That would be better, but my guess is that the engine moving around would rip the shit out of it. They would have had to have atleast a 4"-6" gap between the edged to make it work, that would have looked horrible.

They should just put a regular hood on it, problem solved. The rest of the car looks great.
Engines don't move around as much as they used to.  If you mate the hole to the engine cover with a rubber seal, the engine won't do any damage to the hood.  Look at the Mustang Mach 1 for proof.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: the Teuton on December 19, 2007, 03:53:20 PM
The R8's engine is a big piece of plastic with some cool ambient lighting around it.  While I think the Vette's arrangement is tacky, it's not the worst by any stretch.

I wasn't familiar with it, so i went and checked it out quick.

I don't see what you mean, the R8 motor has real plenums visable through the glass. They are designed well and obviously designed to be visually pleasing through a glass panel.

The GM is a chunk of glass that shows you a chunk of plastic, no plenum, no metal of any kind. Just a big molded piece of plastic.

SVT666

Quote from: Tave on December 19, 2007, 03:54:30 PM
Hmm...I think the coolest aspect of the last ZR-1 was its endurance motor and ability to run at full power forever and ever.

Not saying this one won't, but to me, it doesn't seem quite as special as the original. It's just another Vette with more power.
Hardly.  IIRC the last ZR-1's performance was only marginally better then the base Vette because the engine (designed and built by Mercury Marine) was much heavier then the base Vette's engine.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: HEMI666 on December 19, 2007, 03:56:29 PM
Engines don't move around as much as they used to.  If you mate the hole to the engine cover with a rubber seal, the engine won't do any damage to the hood.  Look at the Mustang Mach 1 for proof.

High torque motors under heavy load still move a few inches or more. I'm not talking jumping out of the car like old muscle cars.

SVT666

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on December 19, 2007, 03:57:07 PM
I wasn't familiar with it, so i went and checked it out quick.

I don't see what you mean, the R8 motor has real plenums visable through the glass. They are designed well and obviously designed to be visually pleasing through a glass panel.

The GM is a chunk of glass that shows you a chunk of plastic, no plenum, no metal of any kind. Just a big molded piece of plastic.
I agree, the window is kinda tacky.  But who gives a shit when you have 620 hp and nothing short of an Ascari A10 or Veyron can catch you.