!@#%^&#!!$#

Started by VTEC_Inside, December 19, 2007, 09:04:34 PM

VTEC_Inside

I'll make this short...

Current outside temp = Hovering around 0c
Location of gfs Integra = My driveway
Reason for Integra in my driveway = Alternator quit
What I found while taking a peek under the hood = High pressure line off the ps pump is leaking on it too.
Part of the sequence of removing the alternator = Remove drivers side driveshaft

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
:lockedup: :lockedup: :lockedup: :lockedup: :lockedup: :lockedup: :lockedup:
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

Secret Chimp

My alternator is way the hell up in front of me at the top of the engine bay. What is the driveshaft in the way of on that car?

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

The Pirate

That sucks dude!  Integra driveshafts are relatively easy to remove though, if I'm not mistaken.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Secret Chimp

Quote from: The Pirate on December 19, 2007, 09:44:15 PM
That sucks dude!  Integra driveshafts are relatively easy to remove though, if I'm not mistaken.

Not for the side stuck in the hub. I dunno about Civics/Integras, but my hub-side axle nuts come from the factory at 181 lb/ft, and you know it'll take a whole lot more than that to get them off.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

The Pirate

Quote from: Secret Chimp on December 19, 2007, 09:48:31 PM
Not for the side stuck in the hub. I dunno about Civics/Integras, but my hub-side axle nuts come from the factory at 181 lb/ft, and you know it'll take a whole lot more than that to get them off.

I've never done one on a Civic (and I can't speak for the Integra), but it's supposedly a breeze (relatively) on the Civic; and the Integra is fairly similar if memory serves.  Your car was also weird in that you needed to do something funky to the suspension to replace the rotor.  I just undid 4 bolts with a cordless impact driver, pulled the rotor off, and popped a new one on when I did my car's brakes.

After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

VTEC_Inside

Spindle nut = 134lb-ft.

I've changed both driveshafts on it already, so I have all the proper tools necessary for the job, namely the 32mm socket for the spindle nut and the ball joint puller.

Its not all that hard to remove them, but shit then I'm only half way there.

I've had an incredibly shitty week too, was sick Monday/Tuesday with a wicked fever, haven't really recovered the lost sleep from that. I really don't quite feel 100% again yet and now I've got to look forward to work tomorrow and then coming home to spend at least 2hrs underneath her fucking car in the cold/dark.

I think this is the car getting back at me for last week when I drove it and was thinking that maybe we should just trade it in on something newer.

Champ

Don't let the weather get ya, I pulled my entire interior on the '91 and redid the ignition while it was in the single digits Fahrenheit.

20 minutes at a time.

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: Champ on December 19, 2007, 10:18:51 PM
Don't let the weather get ya, I pulled my entire interior on the '91 and redid the ignition while it was in the single digits Fahrenheit.

20 minutes at a time.

Lol, that was like me a couple weeks ago fixing the leak on my Accord.

Its ok when its your own car though...

She tells me as I point out the ps fluid all over the pulley and sprayed on the underside of the hood, "maybe thats what that whining noise was"... I got your whining noise right here...

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on December 19, 2007, 10:34:14 PM
Lol, that was like me a couple weeks ago fixing the leak on my Accord.

Its ok when its your own car though...

She tells me as I point out the ps fluid all over the pulley and sprayed on the underside of the hood, "maybe thats what that whining noise was"... I got your whining noise right here...

LOL
My wife won't tell me until after I find and replace failing stuff that it's been making some noise for a while...

Then she asks why I do preventive maintenance -"Why do you need money for that? Just wait until it breaks!"

Until I asked her if she would prefer they do the same for the next jet she's on...
Will

VTEC_Inside

Call her this morning at 9:30a to see if she has gotten parts prices/sources, nope, shes at the mall with her mom.  :heated:

She calls me back later, none of the bone yards have an alternator, what should she do? Um, call about new ones?

Calls me back $275 for the alternator, $150 for the PS line. They should arrive by 4pm.

S204STi

I feel for ya man, doing any kind of work outside in the cold blows.  I remember just before moving out to colorado having to replace the dipstick tube on my wife's forcus.  The fact that it was raining and 40 out the whole two days it took me in the driveway didn't help.

Tave

I had to change my friend's tire last winter because she either wouldn't/couldn't. Not as involved a process as all the other repairs mentioned, but damn!; spinning lugnuts with your bare hands in sub-freezing temperatures sure is a bitch.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Champ

Quote from: Tave on December 20, 2007, 12:38:48 PM
I had to change my friend's tire last winter because she either wouldn't/couldn't. Not as involved a process as all the other repairs mentioned, but damn!; spinning lugnuts with your bare hands in sub-freezing temperatures sure is a bitch.
They sell gloves.

Tave

Quote from: Champ on December 20, 2007, 12:52:02 PM
They sell gloves.

Which aren't very usefull when you're trying to thread a nut.

Well, at least none that retain warmth.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

etypejohn

Quote from: The Pirate on December 19, 2007, 09:44:15 PM

Nothing is relatively easy when its 32F outside.   :lol:

VTEC_Inside

I'm pretty sure I've already done at least some damage to my fingers from doing this crap out in the cold.

Topic for a whole 'nother section, but she can kiss my ass, I ain't touching the fucking thing today, and maybe not tomorrow either.

Champ

Quote from: Tave on December 20, 2007, 12:56:05 PM

You use the wrench or socket to put them in.

Tave

Quote from: Champ on December 20, 2007, 03:54:39 PM
You use the wrench or socket to put them in.

That's ineffective, and possibly even more akward than using gloves.

I bet most everyone on the forum threads nuts with their hands after they get the spare on the bolts.

The Pirate

Quote from: etypejohn on December 20, 2007, 02:15:15 PM
Nothing is relatively easy when its 32F outside.   :lol:

Point taken.  :lol:

SVT_Power

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on December 20, 2007, 12:29:27 AM
LOL
My wife won't tell me until after I find and replace failing stuff that it's been making some noise for a while...

Then she asks why I do preventive maintenance -"Why do you need money for that? Just wait until it breaks!"

Until I asked her if she would prefer they do the same for the next jet she's on...

:lol:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: Tave on December 20, 2007, 04:01:29 PM
That's ineffective, and possibly even more akward than using gloves.

I bet most everyone on the forum threads nuts with their hands after they get the spare on the bolts.

To start them for sure, least chance of crossing the threads.

Tave

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on December 20, 2007, 05:30:21 PM
To start them for sure, least chance of crossing the threads.

Plus it's a lot quicker. You can spin them down the bolt and hand tighten them in a couple seconds. If you used the wrench/bar for the whole process, it would be very tedious.

Raghavan

Quote from: Tave on December 20, 2007, 12:56:05 PM

I changed the 'cc0rd's spare tire in the middle of a snowstorm with my huge gloves that I use for snowboarding. :huh:

Tave

Quote from: Raghavan on December 20, 2007, 06:15:27 PM
I changed the 'cc0rd's spare tire in the middle of a snowstorm with my huge gloves that I use for snowboarding. :huh:

Good for you. I didn't say it was impossible, just more clumsy than using your bare hands.

AutobahnSHO

Them non-Wyoming wusses just don't get it.    :-)    :-)
Will

Raghavan

Quote from: Tave on December 20, 2007, 06:21:02 PM
Good for you. I didn't say it was impossible, just more clumsy than using your bare hands.
They are but if I take my hand out of my glove I can't get it back in. :lol:

CJ

I changed a tire when it was 108 degrees outside, and got a helluva sunburn.

Raghavan

Quote from: CJ on December 20, 2007, 10:21:32 PM
I changed a tire when it was 108 degrees outside, and got a helluva sunburn.
Hahaha, weaksauce white boys.

:evildude:

CJ

Hey, at least I don't smell like curry!

Raghavan

Quote from: CJ on December 20, 2007, 10:25:06 PM
Hey, at least I don't smell like curry!

Hey! Trep's the one with the stinky backseat, not me! :tounge: