2006 Hyundai Sonata

Started by BMWDave, July 07, 2005, 11:48:26 AM

BMWDave

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

TBR

C/D was also impressed with it, I will post a summary of that article this afternoon.

BMWDave

QuoteC/D was also impressed with it, I will post a summary of that article this afternoon.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

I am extremely impressed with the Sonata myself. It's more than credible even without its price advantage, and IMO the class leader with it.  

mazda6er

Isn't the base engine 235 hp, now? That's a lot of ponies.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

ifcar

That's the V6, the standard engine is a 162-hp 4-cyl.

mazda6er

QuoteThat's the V6, the standard engine is a 162-hp 4-cyl.
Ah, I thought that seemed too steep, but I've never heard anything about the base engine. Thanks.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

Raghavan

the accord's rump should've looked like that.

Tom

It's a good time to be a mainstream sedan buyer.  This might be the best choice.  It looks good, drives good, is cheap, has a great warranty and is supposedly reliable.  What's not to like?

BMWDave

QuoteIt's a good time to be a mainstream sedan buyer.  This might be the best choice.  It looks good, drives good, is cheap, has a great warranty and is supposedly reliable.  What's not to like?
Yup.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

QuoteIt's a good time to be a mainstream sedan buyer.  This might be the best choice.  It looks good, drives good, is cheap, has a great warranty and is supposedly reliable.  What's not to like?
According to C/D, the gas mileage and that is pretty much it. They were extremely impressed, I expect to see it in 1st place next time they do a midsize sedan comparo.  

ifcar

QuoteIt's a good time to be a mainstream sedan buyer.  This might be the best choice.  It looks good, drives good, is cheap, has a great warranty and is supposedly reliable.  What's not to like?
According to C/D, the gas mileage and that is pretty much it. They were extremely impressed, I expect to see it in 1st place next time they do a midsize sedan comparo.
I don't, C/D doesn't consider value important enough IMO. It'll be top three, at least.

And fuel economy isn't poor at all, at 20/30 with the V6, it's ahead of the V6 Camry and at essentially the same level as 21/30 V6 Accord.  

TBR

QuoteIt's a good time to be a mainstream sedan buyer.  This might be the best choice.  It looks good, drives good, is cheap, has a great warranty and is supposedly reliable.  What's not to like?
I don't, C/D doesn't consider value important enough IMO. It'll be top three, at least.

And fuel economy isn't poor at all, at 20/30 with the V6, it's ahead of the V6 Camry and at essentially the same level as 21/30 V6 Accord.
They said it was a low, I will have to look at their as tested mileage. And, they really had no compaints except for the gas mileage. In fact, I believe they said it drove better than the Accord does.  

ifcar

They got 19 mpg IIRC, but don't know how that compares to the other mainstreamers that they tested.

But remember, they weren't driving this car back to back against the Accord. Little nuggets of praise will appear for it, and niggling complaints will bring down the Sonata. I'd be very surprised if it wins against an Accord, unless they put it against a 4-cyl (which they did in their last midsize comparo IIRC).

TBR

Good point, but it should finish in the top 3 for sure.

Fire It Up

Also, R&T said it had a lot less understeer than its competitiors cause of the double wishbone front suspension. (thats equal length upper and lower control arms right?)

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

TBR

QuoteAlso, R&T said it had a lot less understeer than its competitiors cause of the double wishbone front suspension. (thats equal length upper and lower control arms right?)
Yep, that is what I meant by driving better.  

Fire It Up

QuoteAlso, R&T said it had a lot less understeer than its competitiors cause of the double wishbone front suspension. (thats equal length upper and lower control arms right?)
Yep, that is what I meant by driving better.
I thought you meant ride harshness noise levels etc. Well, thats supposed to be good too.

TBR

Indeed, it is supposed to be very quiet.  

Raghavan

FWD

ifcar

What's not to like considering the competition then? I could just as logically complain that it doesn't go from 0-60 in under 5 seconds, or that it doesn't get 40 mpg. But as long as no other car it's competing against does either, that's not a problem.

BMWDave

FWD
very convincing argument...lets rehearse....just why does the normal non-enthusiast buyer need RWD?  

2007 Honda S2000

Fire It Up

Raghavan likes to go overboard with his FWD>RWD thing....

BMWDave

QuoteRaghavan likes to go overboard with his FWD>RWD thing....
I realize that :)  

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

FWD
very convincing argument...lets rehearse....just why does the normal non-enthusiast buyer need RWD?
cos RWD's cool.

TBR

FWD
cos RWD's cool.
Excellent point :rolleyes:  

Fire It Up

I just priced up a Sonata on the Hyundai site...

Sonata GLS  3.3L V6 5-Speed SHIFTRONIC Automatic

- Leather seating surfaces
- Heated front seats
- Power driver seat
- 17? euroflange alloy wheels withMichelin? tires
- Automatic temperature control
- Air quality system
- Auto-dimming mirror/HomeLink?/compass
- Sliding center armrest
- Telescoping steering wheel
- Chrome exterior door handles
Power tilt-and-slide glass sunroof
- 17" alloy wheels with Michelin??? Tires
- Electrochromic auto-dimming inside rearview mirror with HomeLink??? Integrated transceiver and compass
- Power driver sea

and standard stuff....

Dual chrome-tipped exhaust
5-speed automatic transmission
Solar control glass
Front, front seat side & side curtain airbags
Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)
Electronic Stability Control (ESC) with Traction Control System (TCS)
Front seat active head restraints
Tilt, leather-wrapped steering wheel
Leather-wrapped shift knob (A/T only)
4-wheel disc brakes
Keyless entry and alarm
      Power windows, locks and heated mirrors
AM/FM/CD/MP3 Audio System
Air conditioning
Cruise control
Cabin air-filtration system
Steering wheel audio controls
Driver?s lumbar support
Automatic light control
Trip computer
Premium door sill plates
Floor mats
Fog lights
Chrome window belt moldings

TOTAL VEHICLE PRICE*     $22,995

An Accord V6 with all the stuff exactly would be 29,618.
Well, thats a bargain.

TBR

Definitely, a 4-cylinder Accord EX-L would likely cost more than that and a V6 would definitely cost at least 2k more.

Raghavan

FWD
cos RWD's cool.
Excellent point :rolleyes:
thanks. :lol:  

ifcar

QuoteRaghavan likes to go overboard with his FWD>RWD thing....
No, he's just an idiot who knows little to nothing about cars and refuses to learn.