BMW speed limiters

Started by hounddog, December 27, 2007, 01:29:22 PM

hounddog

I had assumed that the mighty BMW was unhindered from speed limit control.  I was wrong. 

Randy and I went to Charlevoix last Friday, Saturday, and came home on Sunday for the sole purpose of drinking as much beer as we possibly could over a couple days.  On our way there we got into a 'speed dispute' on I-75 near Grayling with a Volvo C-70.  It would appear that both cars are limited to about 140ish, with the 330Cic having a slight advantage. 

Why oh why, would BMW do such a thing?  It clearly had much more than that, and it seems a travesty of monumental proportions to limit such an animal.

By the way, I thought this was kinda interesting; a couple nimrods driving their summer only cars in the salt and snow!  Both companies best overall cars to boot!  And, yes, I realize the picture is bad. 
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

MX793

Even a lot of their more powerful cars are limited to 155.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

r0tor

their sport package usually ups the limit to 155... its mostly about tire limits and responsibility
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

FordSVT

Zee German sedans always have limiters unless they say "M" or "AMG" on the trunk-lid.....

Raghavan

Quote from: FordSVT on December 27, 2007, 01:38:19 PM
Zee German sedans always have limiters unless they say "M" or "AMG" on the trunk-lid.....
I think even those are limited to 155.

Tave

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Raghavan

I remember reading that the M5 can top 200 mph if unlimited...

MX793

You can pay extra to get the CPU on an AMG model reflashed to remove the limiter, but in standard trim they are limited to 155.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Tave

I'll ammend my statement. Most of them are limited. I know I've read of some that aren't.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

TheIntrepid

I don't have a limiter, but my car tops out just north of 140, AFAIK. I haven't tried pushing mine THAT far but my buddy's 02 Intrepid with the same engine tops out at 244 or so, which converts to 146 mph?

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Raza

I hope you were going on roads with speed limits of 140ish. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Eye of the Tiger

Isn't hounddog one of these guys that keeps arguing about how critical it is to follow speedlimits?  :pullover:  :devil:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

hounddog

Quote from: TheIntrepid on December 27, 2007, 01:55:19 PM
I don't have a limiter, but my car tops out just north of 140, AFAIK. I haven't tried pushing mine THAT far but my buddy's 02 Intrepid with the same engine tops out at 244 or so, which converts to 146 mph?
Nope, not likely.  The police version would only get to around 135.

http://www.nlectc.org/pdffiles/msp2003bulletin.pdf  (page 4 of 8)

According to this site, all vehicles were speed limited.  Which means, if the police versions were limited, so is yours.  And since no "actual" 2004 Dodge or Chrysler Intrepids were actually produced, meaning they made all 2004s during the last 2003 model year run, yours is in fact a 2003.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

hounddog

Quote from: NACar on December 27, 2007, 01:58:55 PM
Isn't hounddog one of these guys that keeps arguing about how critical it is to follow speedlimits?  :pullover:  :devil:
I never said I was driving.  (I lost my license on a medical review when I had my second stroke)
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

TheIntrepid

Quote from: hounddog on December 27, 2007, 02:01:20 PM
Nope, not likely.  The police version would only get to around 135.

http://www.nlectc.org/pdffiles/msp2003bulletin.pdf  (page 4 of 8)

According to this site, all vehicles were speed limited.  Which means, if the police versions were limited, so is yours.  And since no "actual" 2004 Dodge or Chrysler Intrepids were actually produced, meaning they made all 2004s during the last 2003 model year run, yours is in fact a 2003.

Wrong.

They were made up until March 2004. Mine is in fact a MY2004 model and was made in late 2003, but they made them right up until then. I know for a fact because we were supposed to order Arctic Mist without a sunroof, but the dealer said (in September-Nov 2003) that we'd have to wait 6 months for a factory order and take delivery in April 2004, OR we could take the Titanium Graphite one on the lot with a sunroof, which is exactly what we did.

hounddog

Quote from: TheIntrepid on December 27, 2007, 02:08:02 PM
Wrong.

They were made up until March 2004. Mine is in fact a MY2004 model and was made in late 2003, but they made them right up until then. I know for a fact because we were supposed to order Arctic Mist without a sunroof, but the dealer said (in September-Nov 2003) that we'd have to wait 6 months for a factory order and take delivery in April 2004, OR we could take the Titanium Graphite one on the lot with a sunroof, which is exactly what we did.

Yes, you are right.  I was thinking police cars. 

BUT, yours is still speed limited.
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

TheIntrepid

Quote from: hounddog on December 27, 2007, 02:18:28 PM
Yes, you are right.  I was thinking police cars. 

BUT, yours is still speed limited.

I don't know about that. There was a topic on DodgeIntrepid.net about speed limiters and it seemed that some people hit limiters and others' cars just maxxed out. There is no concrete answer as to whether the 3.5 models were limited or not.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: TheIntrepid on December 27, 2007, 04:05:02 PM
I don't know about that. There was a topic on DodgeIntrepid.net about speed limiters and it seemed that some people hit limiters and others' cars just maxxed out. There is no concrete answer as to whether the 3.5 models were limited or not.

It's limitted acording to the speed rating of the original equipment tires. If there were different tire choices, the limitter may or may not be set below the physical capabilities of the car.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MX793

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 27, 2007, 10:06:29 PM
It's limitted acording to the speed rating of the original equipment tires. If there were different tire choices, the limitter may or may not be set below the physical capabilities of the car.

And some companies just set one limiter across the board regardless of what tires the car comes with.  My car came with V-rated rubber from the factory and is limited to 118 mph.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MX793 on December 27, 2007, 10:14:06 PM
And some companies just set one limiter across the board regardless of what tires the car comes with.  My car came with V-rated rubber from the factory and is limited to 118 mph.

Honestly, with the amount of excessive speeding the trepster claims to do, I wonder how he doesn't know the answer already?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

2o6

Quote from: hounddog on December 27, 2007, 01:29:22 PM
I had assumed that the mighty BMW was unhindered from speed limit control.  I was wrong. 

Randy and I went to Charlevoix last Friday, Saturday, and came home on Sunday for the sole purpose of drinking as much beer as we possibly could over a couple days.  On our way there we got into a 'speed dispute' on I-75 near Grayling with a Volvo C-70.  It would appear that both cars are limited to about 140ish, with the 330Cic having a slight advantage. 

Why oh why, would BMW do such a thing?  It clearly had much more than that, and it seems a travesty of monumental proportions to limit such an animal.

By the way, I thought this was kinda interesting; a couple nimrods driving their summer only cars in the salt and snow!  Both companies best overall cars to boot!  And, yes, I realize the picture is bad. 

Tires. If I'm right, the Benzes and others are limited to 155, because a certain grade of tire only handles up to 155. Any faster would cause the tires to discenegrate.

2o6

Quote from: TheIntrepid on December 27, 2007, 02:08:02 PM
Wrong.

The 1st gen Intrepid can do 130, trep's MIGHT do 145, the Intrepid is Relatively light, the motor is bigger than last gen's and the Intrepid is Pretty aerodynamic......

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 2o6 on December 27, 2007, 10:45:51 PM

The 1st gen Intrepid can do 130, trep's MIGHT do 145, the Intrepid is Relatively light, the motor is bigger than last gen's and the Intrepid is Pretty aerodynamic......

Weight has absolutely nothing to do with top speed.

2o6

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 27, 2007, 10:48:25 PM
Weight has absolutely nothing to do with top speed.

Yes it does......

SVT_Power

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Soup DeVille

SVT_Power

Because it has an effect on acceleration so it must affect top speed as well! Even though top speed is only really limited by power!
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

SVT_Power

And because Colin Chapman said to go faster, add lightness!

Soup DeVille

Quote from: M_power on December 27, 2007, 10:52:03 PM
Because it has an effect on acceleration so it must affect top speed as well! Even though top speed is only really limited by power!

I'm waiting for 206's answer...

SVT_Power

I'm technically not wrong when I say top speed is only limited by power right?