From Romania With Love: The Cross Lander Cometh

Started by BMWDave, July 07, 2005, 07:47:48 PM

BMWDave

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

ifcar

I'll still believe it when I see it. They've been planning this thing for years, and it will probably be a few years more before it gets off the ground fully.

BMWDave

QuoteI'll still believe it when I see it. They've been planning this thing for years, and it will probably be a few years more before it gets off the ground fully.
Decades would be more like it.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

If they can get it over here I think it will be a success, tough styling for much less than a G-wagon or even a H3.

BMWDave

QuoteIf they can get it over here I think it will be a success, tough styling for much less than a G-wagon or even a H3.
Still though, are they at all polished and useable everyday?  

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

No, but they won't be $35,000 or $80,000 either.  

BMWDave

QuoteNo, but they won't be $35,000 or $80,000 either.
I mean is it as driveable as an Xterra...and it doesnt have to be anywhere near as driveable as a 40K SUV, but Americans expect something, and dont want just an old clunker.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

Only 5,000 people need to for it to meet sales targets.  

TBR

QuoteIf they can get it over here I think it will be a success, tough styling for much less than a G-wagon or even a H3.
Was the H1 polished enough for daily driving? Nope, yet quite a few consumers still laid down over 90k for one.  

BMWDave

Was the H1 polished enough for daily driving? Nope, yet quite a few consumers still laid down over 90k for one.
The H1 has brand cache behind it...the cross lander doesnt.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

The H1 has brand cache behind it...the cross lander doesnt.
The H1 didn't when it first began to be sold to consumers.  

ifcar

The H1 had to appeal to consumers with $100K to spend. This thing has to appeal to people who want something that can go off-road and be completely abused for 1/5 that price.

TBR

I don't think it has any more appeal than the Wrangler or Xterra does, I think it will mainly be sold to people looking for the tough guy look.  

BMWDave

QuoteI don't think it has any more appeal than the Wrangler or Xterra does, I think it will mainly be sold to people looking for the tough guy look.
Its bigger though, and definitely looks tougher than a Xterra.  I would choose a wrangler though.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

QuoteI don't think it has any more appeal than the Wrangler or Xterra does, I think it will mainly be sold to people looking for the tough guy look.
Its bigger though, and definitely looks tougher than a Xterra.  I would choose a wrangler though.
It weighs more, but I believe the rest of dimensions are similar to the Xterra's. As for the middle part of your post, exactly. It looks tougher and I think that is why people will buy it. One thing we know for sure, they won't be buying it for speed (207hp and 5200 lbs!).  

BMWDave

It weighs more, but I believe the rest of dimensions are similar to the Xterra's. As for the middle part of your post, exactly. It looks tougher and I think that is why people will buy it. One thing we know for sure, they won't be buying it for speed (207hp and 5200 lbs!).
yup...I just configured a Wrangler.

Base Price $18,070  
SE N Pkg. $0  
Options $0  
Accessories $0  
Destination $660  
MSRP $18,730  *

Cash Allowance - $500
Employee Discount - ($1,633)

Net Price $16,597

I would definitely pick a wrangler over this Cross Lander...you get a proven name and rugged, amazing looks.  And you can option up a Wranger pretty good of 24 grand.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

What options do you have on your $16K Wrangler? I'll bet you're lacking even A/C.

And I don't think the image seekers will chase this thing. First of all, it only looks like a used Grand Wagoneer, not a shiny new Wrangler. And I doubt it has the creature comforts and on-road prowess of the Xterra, making it ill-suited to non-offroaders.

IMO the 5k people who buy this thing every year will be the ones who actually need that sort of vehicle.

TBR

The  H1 didn't have the refinement or comfort of cars a 3rd of its price yet people with no intention of offroading still bought them.  

ifcar

Because it had recognizable image, and an exclusive price tag. The Cross Lander has neither.

TBR

QuoteBecause it had recognizable image, and an exclusive price tag. The Cross Lander has neither.
The H1 didn't when it was first sold as a consumer product.  

ifcar

It was recognizable for its presence in Desert Storm, which was when civilians  really saw it for the first time and decided that they wanted them.

BMWDave

QuoteWhat options do you have on your $16K Wrangler? I'll bet you're lacking even A/C.

And I don't think the image seekers will chase this thing. First of all, it only looks like a used Grand Wagoneer, not a shiny new Wrangler. And I doubt it has the creature comforts and on-road prowess of the Xterra, making it ill-suited to non-offroaders.

IMO the 5k people who buy this thing every year will be the ones who actually need that sort of vehicle.
I had no options whatsoever on the wrangler...but the fact is that you can get a crosslander without A/C also.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

A fully-loaded CL is $24K, and the Wrangler can reach $30k.

R33 GT-R

Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!