BMW M6

Started by BMWDave, July 07, 2005, 08:06:04 PM

Raghavan

QuoteThe Tib they are talking about is a twin engine Tib with 300hp turbo engine on each ends and AWD.
It runs very low 11 second 1.4 mile times and makes the best burnouts I've ever seen.
Is there any video available of it?
i'll try to dig it up from c/d if you want.

Raghavan

BMWDave

Quotehere:

tib video

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Raghavan

Quotehere:

tib video
that's why i consider it a sports car. :praise:  

Raza

The Mercedes Unimog does some crazy shit too...is that a sports car?

It's not a sports car.  It's a two engined, AWD, 4 seater tin top.  It's a GT.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raghavan

QuoteThe Mercedes Unimog does some crazy shit too...is that a sports car?

we all have different definitions of a sports car. let's leave it at that.

BMWDave

I thought the Unimog was this tremendous off roader truck.

2007 Honda S2000

BMWDave

2007 Honda S2000

Raza

It's not a sports car.  It's a two engined, AWD, 4 seater tin top.  It's a GT.
I thought the Unimog was this tremendous off roader truck.
It is.  :)

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raghavan

that's too heavy.

Raza

It's not a sports car.  It's a two engined, AWD, 4 seater tin top.  It's a GT.
that's too heavy.
So is the Tiburon, I bet.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Run Away

My definition of sports car:
2 door, fast, handles well.
Just as loose one, can be changed. For example I'd consider modified 240SX hatchback to be a sports car, but not a R32 Golf.

Raza

Both are GTs in my book.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raghavan

QuoteMy definition of sports car:
Just as loose one, can be changed. For example I'd consider modified 240SX hatchback to be a sports car, but not a R32 Golf.
so is an FWD car a sports car?

Run Away

Yeah, I think everyone knows that already.

Raghavan

QuoteBoth are GTs in my book.
your book?

Run Away

QuoteMy definition of sports car:
so is an FWD car a sports car?
The horror!

I think it can be.

Run Away

your book?
He's got a little blue book he writes all his secrets in.

Raza

your book?
He's got a little blue book he writes all his secrets in.
At least it's not red, like you Canadians.

;) (Kidding, of course, I love Canada)

The 240SX has four seats (right?) and a fixed roof, the R32 has four seats, a fixed roof, and AWD.  Both are GTs.

And no, FWD cars cannot be sports cars.  At the most, they can be considered GTs, but usually just coupes or "sporty coupes" like the Eclipse.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Run Away

Reminds me, we were cruising last night along side an 06 Eclipse for a while. Pretty cool looking.
Then we got pulled over.

SJ_GTI

Wow still arguing about this?

Its not a big deal, but I am pretty close to Raza on this as mentioned before. I only mention this because I saw alot of posts saying its "Raza against the world."

I am a little more loose...I would consider the saab Sonnet a sports car, as well the TT vert. I am not hung up on F/A/RWD.

A sports car just need to be small, light, open top, 1 or 2 seats, and manual transmission.

That being said that's just for me. technically raza is right that a sports car needs to be RWD. I just make exceptions occasionally (like the ones mentioned above).

When you put a fixed roof on a sports car, it becomes a GT car.

To alot of points here there are cars that sometimes are not clear. The 911 is very close to a sports car...but frankly Porsche put those back seats there for a reason. they specifically wanted it in the GT class!

Also I still see alot of people hung up on performance. Sports car vs GT car does not imply one has better performance than another...though typically GT cars tend to be better performers than sports cars. This is specifically because a closed top lends specific performance advantages to that class. F1 (I think) is derived from sports cars, hence you still see the vestigal reminders of that class...open top, RWD, and manual (SMG) transmissions.

Raghavan

QuoteF1 (I think) is derived from sports cars, hence you still see the vestigal reminders of that class...open top, RWD, and manual (SMG) transmissions.
SMG makes a car a GT car, not a sports car. Raza agrees with me too.

SJ_GTI

QuoteF1 (I think) is derived from sports cars, hence you still see the vestigal reminders of that class...open top, RWD, and manual (SMG) transmissions.
SMG makes a car a GT car, not a sports car. Raza agrees with me too.
Congratulations?  :P

Run Away

Don't forget, not only Raza, but he also heard it from TV and ChrisV! :o

TBR

"When you put a fixed roof on a sports car, it becomes a GT car."

That doesn't make sense, GT stands for "Grand Touring" and not all "tintops" are good for touring (Ferrari F40 for example).

SJ_GTI

Quote"When you put a fixed roof on a sports car, it becomes a GT car."

That doesn't make sense, GT stands for "Grand Touring" and not all "tintops" are good for touring (Ferrari F40 for example).
And plenty of sports cars are great for "touring."

Obviously many cars today try to straddle different segments, but for me that doesn't mean you just throw out all defnitions and call any car that is fun to drive a "sports car."

I am not saying try to educate every consumer in the world, but among "educated" enthusiasts there is no reason not to use basic defintions to help ease conversation.

Its also not necessary for every car to be put into just one category.

The BMW Z8 for instance is a sports car, but could also be considered a GT car IMHO (as could the SL500 and XLR).

Like I said I am a little more "loose" than Raza, but still I have to admit his defintion is the most correct one. Its just not the most useful one for me.  :praise:  

TBR

You never really replied to my statement, why would a car that is clearly not meant to be a tourer be called a GT?  

Raza

Oh, SJZ3, I think I'm loose enough for all of us (;)).  Anyway, I'm stalwart on the RWD thing, but I do also lump the SL55 and XLR in the GT category, pretty much because of the hardtop and weight and suspensions.  I'm on the cusp with the SLK, because of the weight and hard top.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i