BMW M6

Started by BMWDave, July 07, 2005, 08:06:04 PM

BMWDave

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

TBR

This is the first new BMW in 6 years (since the E46) that I have really liked, very nice! :lol:

giant_mtb

This might seem odd and way out of line...but it reminds me of an Eclipse.

BMWDave

QuoteThis might seem odd and way out of line...but it reminds me of an Eclipse.
Youre odd and way out of line :lol:  

2007 Honda S2000

BMWDave

QuoteThis is the first new BMW in 6 years (since the E46) that I have really liked, very nice! :lol:
Good to hear :)  

2007 Honda S2000

giant_mtb

QuoteThis might seem odd and way out of line...but it reminds me of an Eclipse.
Youre odd and way out of line :lol:
:ph34r:  

Raghavan

s'ok...
they need to reduce the weight more to get a real sports car.

TBR

The M6 isn't supposed to be a sports car, that is the job of the M3. The M6 is a  GT, and a darn fast one at that.  

Raghavan

QuoteThe M6 isn't supposed to be a sports car, that is the job of the M3. The M6 is a  GT, and a darn fast one at that.
why, cos it has a backseat?

TBR

QuoteThe M6 isn't supposed to be a sports car, that is the job of the M3. The M6 is a  GT, and a darn fast one at that.
why, cos it has a backseat?
Partly, but also because it weights 4000 lbs (or close to it).

MrH

QuoteThe M6 isn't supposed to be a sports car, that is the job of the M3. The M6 is a  GT, and a darn fast one at that.
I wouldn't call the M3 a sports car either, but instead a slower, more nimble GT car.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Raghavan

QuoteThe M6 isn't supposed to be a sports car, that is the job of the M3. The M6 is a  GT, and a darn fast one at that.
I wouldn't call the M3 a sports car either, but instead a slower, more nimble GT car.
how's the M3 a GT?

BMWDave

The M3 is a sports car in my book...it has razar sharp hadling, lots of power, and is very light.  

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

Yeah, that is a toughy. It is sort of bit of both, it is too big to be a sports car but rides to rough to be a GT. Really the only 100% sports car BMW sells is the Z4.  

Raghavan

Yeah, that is a toughy. It is sort of bit of both, it is too big to be a sports car but rides to rough to be a GT. Really the only 100% sports car BMW sells is the Z4.
some sports cars looks monstrous.

TBR

Raza

The M3 is a sports car in my book...it has razar sharp hadling, lots of power, and is very light.
Your book needs to be thrown in a trash can fire to keep a bum warm at night.  It's not a sports car--it's a GT.  Calling a car what it is isn't a bad thing.  My computer is not a typewriter; it's a computer.  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

BMWDave

QuoteThe M6 isn't supposed to be a sports car, that is the job of the M3. The M6 is a? GT, and a darn fast one at that.
Your book needs to be thrown in a trash can fire to keep a bum warm at night.  It's not a sports car--it's a GT.  Calling a car what it is isn't a bad thing.  My computer is not a typewriter; it's a computer.
I disagree.  And welcome back :lol:  

2007 Honda S2000

R33 GT-R

Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!

Raghavan

QuoteLike what?
the saleen s7, for one.

Raza

QuoteLike what?
the saleen s7, for one.
The S7 is the size and price of a house.  It's also not a sports car.

It can be thrown in with the loose category of "supercar" which I think was invented to make cars like the Veyron look like a good idea.  But all in all, it's a GT.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raghavan

QuoteLike what?
the saleen s7, for one.

It can be thrown in with the loose category of "supercar" which I think was invented to make cars like the Veyron look like a good idea.  But all in all, it's a GT.
the S7 is NOT a gt.

Raza

QuoteLike what?
the saleen s7, for one.

the S7 is NOT a gt.
So it's a 2 door, 2 seat, open top car?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

Get over the idea that sports cars have to be convertibles, that is no longer an applicable qualification. These days convertible tops add weight and reduce rigidity.  

Raza

QuoteGet over the idea that sports cars have to be convertibles, that is no longer an applicable qualification. These days convertible tops add weight and reduce rigidity.
I don't care whether or not the industry chose the wrong path--definitions shouldn't change.  Calling a car a GT is not an insult, mind you, you all act as if it is.  An open top (convertible/targa/t tops) is a necessary part of the definition of a sports car.  Just like 2 door, 2 seat.  A 911 will never be a sports car (the GT2 and GT3 come close, but they're fixed roof).

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

QuoteGet over the idea that sports cars have to be convertibles, that is no longer an applicable qualification. These days convertible tops add weight and reduce rigidity.
I don't care whether or not the industry chose the wrong path--definitions shouldn't change.  Calling a car a GT is not an insult, mind you, you all act as if it is.  An open top (convertible/targa/t tops) is a necessary part of the definition of a sports car.  Just like 2 door, 2 seat.  A 911 will never be a sports car (the GT2 and GT3 come close, but they're fixed roof).
Why? Because you think so? Well, you are wrong.  

Raza

Why? Because you think so? Well, you are wrong.
Fifth Gear defines a sports car as a 2 seat, 2 door, rwd car with a manual transmission and an open top.

So, you're wrong.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

Why should we go by Fifth Gear's definition? Everyone else's definition is a rwd car that focuses primarly on sport, something the majority of convertibles no longer do.  

Raza

QuoteWhy should we go by Fifth Gear's definition? Everyone else's definition is a rwd car that focuses primarly on sport, something the majority of convertibles no longer do.
It's the definition that's been used several times, through the ages.  There's a reason the M5 is a "sport sedan" and not a sports car.  The M3 is not a sports car.  The S4, Evo, STi, and 911 are not sports cars.  The Dodge Viper is.  

Get over it man.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

QuoteWhy should we go by Fifth Gear's definition? Everyone else's definition is a rwd car that focuses primarly on sport, something the majority of convertibles no longer do.
It's the definition that's been used several times, through the ages.  There's a reason the M5 is a "sport sedan" and not a sports car.  The M3 is not a sports car.  The S4, Evo, STi, and 911 are not sports cars.  The Dodge Viper is.  

Get over it man.
I have no problem with the S4, Evo, and STi not being called sports cars, they clearly have 4 doors. The 911, on the otherhand, is most definitely a sports car. It focuses on sport, has a low weight, high power, rwd, and 2 doors only. That is what a sports car is. A 911 cabriolet  is no sportier than a 911 Coupe, so how can it be a sports car if the coupe isn't?