HELP

Started by 850CSi, January 02, 2008, 11:46:19 PM

850CSi

I'm not in that much of a hurry. I usually come home every two or three weekends so it'll be fine. I also don't need my car for the next 3 months.

At this point I just want to find a used replacement for my car's rim (which I've been doing by talking to people on E90 Post and BimmerFest). My parents for some reason are avert to letting me get a whole new set.

the Teuton

Quote from: 850CSi on January 03, 2008, 10:51:52 PM
I'm not in that much of a hurry. I usually come home every two or three weekends so it'll be fine. I also don't need my car for the next 3 months.

At this point I just want to find a used replacement for my car's rim (which I've been doing by talking to people on E90 Post and BimmerFest). My parents for some reason are avert to letting me get a whole new set.

Yours are probably worth a bit more money since they're new.  They might have some value as trading tools.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

850CSi

Quote from: the Teuton on January 03, 2008, 11:04:28 PM
Yours are probably worth a bit more money since they're new.  They might have some value as trading tools.

Eh not really, you can buy an entire set of used 156s like mine with decent tread left on the RFTs for ~$450. Plus, no one is going to want a set of three. It's not even a money issue my parents for some reason won't let me replace my wheels.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 850CSi on January 03, 2008, 11:29:23 PM
Eh not really, you can buy an entire set of used 156s like mine with decent tread left on the RFTs for ~$450. Plus, no one is going to want a set of three. It's not even a money issue my parents for some reason won't let me replace my wheels.

I will steal your current ones for you.

Then you'll need to.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 03, 2008, 11:31:34 PM
I will steal your current ones for you.

Then you'll need to.

This guy's a Genius!!!   :-)

I was being silly and hit the curb in a TacoBell drivethru one winter- snapped the front sway bar- couldnt even drive it since that side front wheel would drag into the fender..
Will

etypejohn

Quote from: 850CSi on January 03, 2008, 10:51:52 PM

Replace the damaged wheel and tire and take it for a 4 wheel alignment.

850CSi

I think I might have myself a deal... Someone on E90Post is offering a wheel/tire with 7K on it for $125...

MrH

Buying/selling forums FTW!
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

280Z Turbo

Quote from: MrH on January 04, 2008, 01:09:36 PM
Buying/selling forums FTW!

The problem is you often have to have 20 posts or so before you can use the classifieds. I don't have time to fuck around on a bunch of Focus forums to find a new rim. :lol:

I also damaged one of my rims just recently, so I'm kind of in the same boat.

I'm looking at dropping $130 on ONE RIM! No tire, just one rim.

As long as the toe and camber are within spec in the rear, you're okay. I'm not sure how BMW suspensions work, but even if you did bend something they may be able to adjust it to compensate.

850CSi

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on January 04, 2008, 01:27:36 PM
The problem is you often have to have 20 posts or so before you can use the classifieds. I don't have time to fuck around on a bunch of Focus forums to find a new rim. :lol:

My only problem is that I'm negotiating with someone who has no buying/selling reputation on the board. How do I know if I can trust this guy?

More good news: I found out that my car's TPMS is ABS based rather than having sensors in the tire itself, so that's one less thing to worry about (will only have to get the system reset and my car is due for service anyways).

Soup DeVille

As long as the toe and camber are within spec in the rear, you're okay. I'm not sure how BMW suspensions work, but even if you did bend something they may be able to adjust it to compensate.

http://www.restockwheels.com/

It's a bit of a drive for you, granted, but I've worked with them in getting an original set of '71 aluminum Mustang wheels repaired for use on the Caddy, and have been happy with their work and prices.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MrH

Quote from: 850CSi on January 04, 2008, 05:21:09 PM
My only problem is that I'm negotiating with someone who has no buying/selling reputation on the board. How do I know if I can trust this guy?

More good news: I found out that my car's TPMS is ABS based rather than having sensors in the tire itself, so that's one less thing to worry about (will only have to get the system reset and my car is due for service anyways).

This is how I operate in those kind of situations.  Seems to have worked for me in the past (for the most part.  Got sort of burned on a cell phone deal once).

The Protege forum I'm a part of makes you post pictures of the thing for sale, with a sign with the date, your forum name, and the name of the forum.  Most people trying to scam others won't go that far.

I take it a step further, and ask for an eBay name.  Once they provide it, I go onto eBay, check their feedback.  If it looks fine, I send them a message through eBay asking if they are truly the person on the forums (ie, are you really BIMMER325i on E90 forums?).  Once I get a message back confirming them, I go through with it.

This has usually been enough for me.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

The Pirate

Quote from: MrH on January 04, 2008, 05:35:18 PM
This is how I operate in those kind of situations.  Seems to have worked for me in the past (for the most part.  Got sort of burned on a cell phone deal once).

The Protege forum I'm a part of makes you post pictures of the thing for sale, with a sign with the date, your forum name, and the name of the forum.  Most people trying to scam others won't go that far.

I take it a step further, and ask for an eBay name.  Once they provide it, I go onto eBay, check their feedback.  If it looks fine, I send them a message through eBay asking if they are truly the person on the forums (ie, are you really BIMMER325i on E90 forums?).  Once I get a message back confirming them, I go through with it.

This has usually been enough for me.

What Protege forum do you post on?
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

MrH

Mazdas247.com

Protege5.com also directs to mazdas247.  It's probably the biggest Protege community.  There's a ton of Mazda3 and 6 guys there too.  There's a lot of domain names that direct to it.  Pretty good forum overall with a good Buy and Sell section and lots of great How-to's and info.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

The Pirate

Quote from: MrH on January 04, 2008, 07:00:15 PM
Mazdas247.com

Protege5.com also directs to mazdas247.  It's probably the biggest Protege community.  There's a ton of Mazda3 and 6 guys there too.  There's a lot of domain names that direct to it.  Pretty good forum overall with a good Buy and Sell section and lots of great How-to's and info.

Sweet, I don't think I've been on that one, I'll have to take a look.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

the Teuton

Ask useless questions.  If they don't have a reputation point system, it will rack up quickly.  And as for the rim, there have to be better deals out there.  I bought my 2002 WRX wheels in good condition with a little tire on them (not much, to be honest) for $300 including shipping from Arizona to Ohio.  It can be done.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

AutobahnSHO

I saved my SHO rims when the car blew up- I had plenty of space and weight allowance when the Army moved the family from Germany to MD.

I put them on Ebay and got $100 for 4rimz, 2 tires that were about 60%, and 2 tires that had 300miles on them. (All cheapo brand tires though...)   

The guy bought them for his son's REGULAR Taurus..   

:-<
Will

280Z Turbo

And as for the rim, there have to be better deals out there.  I bought my 2002 WRX wheels in good condition with a little tire on them (not much, to be honest) for $300 including shipping from Arizona to Ohio.  It can be done.

That may be, but I don't have a lot of time to fuck around with this. I am in no way shape or form involved in the Focus community, so it's pretty hard for me. If I had bent a rim on the Z, it wouldn't have been an issue.

I've been rolling on a minispare for a couple weeks now and I'm sick of it. I use my dad's Dakota for longer trips, but that's a problem as it gets 16 mpg as opposed to 28.

JWC

Keep in mind I'm biased, but I've worked independent garages and dealerships.

I always find it amusing when someone buys an expensive car and then whines that repairs at a factory dealership is too expensive. 

I also find it totally believable that the dealership doesn't have wheels just laying around waiting for someone to come in who curbed their car just so they can "try it" and see how far the alignment is off.  Especially, with the mindset that the wheels are too expensive anyway. 

One last thing.  Keep in mind the price is set by the manufacturer and the dealership has to pay them to get the part. 

If you are going to complain, complain about (or to) the people that made the car and are supplying parts to repair it.  Not the people who have to buy it then sell it to you.

Secret Chimp

throw some D's on that bitch

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Minpin

I wish I had seen this sooner. A few months ago I hit a curb taking a left  and I scratched up the rim and ripped some of the rubber off and it was pulling to the right also. Took it to goodyear and the re-aligned it and everything was fixed. I didn't read through the whole thread so I don't know what your verdict was but this is just my experience on this.
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

Submariner

Quote from: Raghavan on January 03, 2008, 01:13:04 PM
Ok.
I was just wondering because if everything got pushed righward like that, if that'd mess up the drivetrain components. :huh:

I can't imagine the driveshaft having anything to do with it, but I see where you're coming from. 

As stupid as this sounds, check for snow buildup in the chassis.  I was driving in the G about 3 weeks ago, (after sliding through the unplowed parking lots) and experienced violent shaking on the highway.  Come to find out, a large buildup of snow in the wheel was causing it.  Removing it made the problem go away.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

sparkplug

Quote from: JWC on January 05, 2008, 07:24:47 AM
Keep in mind I'm biased, but I've worked independent garages and dealerships.

I always find it amusing when someone buys an expensive car and then whines that repairs at a factory dealership is too expensive. 

I also find it totally believable that the dealership doesn't have wheels just laying around waiting for someone to come in who curbed their car just so they can "try it" and see how far the alignment is off.  Especially, with the mindset that the wheels are too expensive anyway. 

One last thing.  Keep in mind the price is set by the manufacturer and the dealership has to pay them to get the part. 

If you are going to complain, complain about (or to) the people that made the car and are supplying parts to repair it.  Not the people who have to buy it then sell it to you.

Yeah, your biased. hehehe
Getting stoned, one stone at a time.

850CSi

Ok guys, update...

I got a tire/wheel off of a guy on E90Post for $125 (damn good deal if you ask me, tire has only 7k miles on it, plenty of tread left, rim seems to be in pretty good shape). It arrived yesterday, I came home from school today and it's sitting in my trunk now.

I'm going tomorrow to get it mounted and get an alignment, hopefully that takes care of it.

That leads to a question... Where should I go? Is going to a place like Midas fine for something like this? I'm going to call the dealership and see how much they charge, too.

Danish

Why don't you change the tire yourself and then take it somewhere to get an alignment?

I don't trust the likes of Midas to properly install a tire especially when they seem hell bent on getting the lugnut on as tight as possible with a impact wrench
Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

850CSi

I don't have a jackstand.

Rupert

You don't need a jack stand to change a wheel, just a jack that's not super shitty.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Danish

Quote from: 850CSi on January 18, 2008, 10:46:38 PM
I don't have a jackstand.

I should have known - your car doesn't come even come with a jack right? Because of that inflate tire thing?
Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

850CSi

I don't have a jack at all.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 850CSi on January 18, 2008, 11:42:44 PM
I don't have a jack at all.

There's not even the one that came with your car?