Acura TSX A-Spec

Started by BMWDave, July 07, 2005, 08:08:45 PM

BMWDave

Acura TSX A-Spec
Take heart.

By Matt Delorenzo  ?  Photos by Jim Fets
July 2005

Okay, so maybe Alfa Romeo isn't coming back to the U.S. any time soon, despite or because of all the machinations in the aborted Fiat-GM deal. There's no need for Alfisti to cry in their Barolo. And instead of traveling abroad to ogle cars we can't buy, save the Euros and take a shorter trek to an Acura dealership to size up the TSX A-Spec. With this car, Acura brings Alfa-inspired brio to the masses with a handsome sports sedan priced well under $30,000.

The TSX was originally designed for Europe ? its kin is the narrow-body Accord that Honda sells on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean. The A-Spec package adds a more aggressive front fascia, sill extensions and a rear wing to go along with the 17-in. alloy wheels shod with P215/50R-17 Michelin Pilots. Save for the stylized caliper logo and wider grille opening, our A-Spec, clothed in Milano Red paint, could be easily mistaken for one of Alfa's latest offerings. These design cues include the hooded projector-beam xenon headlamps, the sensuous flaring front fenders and the angular cut of the trailing edge of the rear doors.

The attention to detail is exceptional. Jeweled accents abound, from the chrome strips on the door handles to the titanium-colored shift knob of the 6-speed manual transmission. The interior features extensive use of perforated leather on the seating surfaces and door inserts, and the dash has light-colored wood that offsets the black upper dash and center stack. Even the black finish around the standard navigation system and on the console has a depth to it that adds to the overall high-quality feel. Not only do you get European high style, but also Japanese quality of fit and finish.

Beneath the hood is a 2.4-liter 4-cylinder engine producing 200 bhp that is transmitted to the front wheels. The extra displacement means that the engine is much more relaxed than the higher-strung RSX that makes the same horsepower from just 2.0 liters. There is ample low-range pulling power and there are no dramatics when the variable cams switch over to their more aggressive profile. This linear delivery of power makes for a car that is comfortable in everyday driving, but also packs considerable midrange punch that is easily summoned by the short-throw 6-speed.

The TSX A-Spec is pleasant to drive with light, yet accurate, steering, as well as logically placed and easy-to-use controls (the navigation system is one of the simplest to program in the business). Pressed hard, the handling is predictable, with the usual touch of understeer at the limits. A standard yaw control system helps to keep things in check, while the brakes have good pedal feel and are easy to modulate.

While the TSX shares the Alfa-inspired looks of its larger TL sibling, the A-Spec, with its tauter suspension and low-profile tires, feels nimbler without sacrificing much in the ride department. However, on really rough road surfaces, the TSX can be a bit choppy. Although the cabin is cozier than the larger TL's, there's enough room inside to seat four adults in comfort and five in a pinch.

The greatest surprise, however, is found on the window sticker. The last TSX we tested in October 2004 had an as-tested price of $29,035. This A-Spec model ? with the more aggressive wheel and tire package, a moonroof, voice-activated navigation, heated leather bucket seats with power adjustment, steering wheel controls, 8-speaker sound system with in-dash CD player and XM satellite radio ? stickers for $27,560 including delivery. That's tremendous value for a car that is as stylish as it is fun to drive

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Raghavan

nice, they lowered the $$$.
but it's still FWD.

TBR

Quotenice, they lowered the $$$.
but it's still FWD.
I am pretty sure that that is an incorrect number.  

Raghavan

but it's still FWD.
why?

TBR

but it's still FWD.
why?
Why would a car with a sports/appearance package be that much cheaper than one without it?

Raghavan

but it's still FWD.
why?
Why would a car with a sports/appearance package be that much cheaper than one without it?
well, it did say they were surprised.

TBR

Acura's website says a non-nav TSX stickers at $27770, now explain to me why the A-spec version would cost $200 less.

TBR

"So how much would you expect to pay for such a vehicle? Well, guess what? The actual cost is much less than what you think it is. The MSRP for our six-speed equipped vehicle comes in at a modest $29,760. Oh wait a sec... the A-spec package will add another $4,330 to the price of the car. That brings the cost of our TSX A-spec to $34,090. But that doesn't include the cost of installing the package."

http://cars.ign.com/articles/599/599425p1.html

BMWDave

lebowski noticed that, and made a whole thread about it when he saw the magazine.  I'll dig it up for you.

2007 Honda S2000

BMWDave

2007 Honda S2000

SJ_GTI

QuoteNot only do you get European high style, but also Japanese quality of fit and finish.
That kind of dumb. Europeans cars in general have at least as good fit and finish as Japanese cars. On average I would even say its better.

If they replaced "fit and finsih" with reliability it would be reasonable.

BMWDave

QuoteNot only do you get European high style, but also Japanese quality of fit and finish.
That kind of dumb. Europeans cars in general have at least as good fit and finish as Japanese cars. On average I would even say its better.

I agree with that.

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

I agree with that.
me too.