A3 Sportback 1.8T vs. 120i vs. C30 T5

Started by omicron, January 13, 2008, 09:37:13 AM

omicron

If this were theatre, the Audi A3 Sportback 1.8T, BMW 120i and Volvo C30 T5 would represent a play in three acts. While adhering to the general plot, the trio inject the prestige-compact hatchback theme with some telling variations of their own.

For example, they?re about the same size and weight, feature a rear hatch as a starring design element, and are priced within a grand or two of each other ? well, at opening delivery anyway.

But they certainly don?t dress from the same wardrobe. In this company, the Audi?s appearance is generally seen as the most cohesive, in a conservative smart-casual way. Apart from its deep, slack-jawed grille, the A3 has a predictable, almost clinically-classic exterior that won?t make aesthetic headlines, but won?t soon date, either.

In contrast, the 1 Series flaunts art for art?s sake. To some eyes, contrived in its shape and surfaces, chunky in its proportions, the 120i is, from any angle, a totally modern eye-catcher. A rule-bender. And visibly spunky for it.

For sheer front, though, the C30 stands apart. Throughout this test, Volvo?s extrovert ?coupe? attracted more onlooker attention than the Sportback and 120i combined. It does so on merit, without resorting to aesthetic gimmickry, yet it ain?t no shrinking violet either. The broad-shouldered rear quarters, fat wheelarches, tapering cabin platform and the retro Volvo P1800ES-inspired glass tailgate give this Swede a special look. More than the others, the T5 clearly comes across as a designer edition.

For better or worse, the C30 is exclusively a three-door, a four-seater, while the 120i and A3 Sportback share five-door/five-seat formats. Audi, however, also offers an auto-only 1.8T three-door of the same A3 size, shape and overall specification.

From there, the character of the three rivals develops completely differently, and nowhere more than in their engines and performance.

The specifications reveal the most obvious disparities, with the BMW engine being naturally aspirated where its rivals are turbos, and the Volvo having five cylinders to the others? four ? with at least 25 percent more capacity.

No wonder it harbours much more (or macho more) power and torque.

On paper, the BMW does well to almost match the boosted Audi?s maximum power, but doesn?t get within coo-ee of its torque. However, the BMW lump is both outstandingly tractable and highly rev-able for an atmo engine. This was strongly demonstrated on hills that turbos would normally dominate with their extra burst of almost immediate power.

While the 120i doesn?t have that sort of barn-storming muscle up its sleeve, it certainly isn?t cowed by steep climbs that have similar-size atmo engines panting. Instead, the 120i reaches down into its Phar Lap-sized ticker to pull at least one gear higher than you?d ordinarily expect. Given its reins, the Bimmer will lug strongly, then accelerate with purposeful determination and enthusiasm from below 1500rpm.

Pedalled with abandon, the sit-down, buckle-up and hang-on T5 shows a wild-child streak, needing the calming of stability and traction controls to complement the driver?s endeavours. Still, very few compact models can cruise highways as quickly and easily as the C30 T5. Even when teasing legality with just 2000rpm on the tacho in sixth gear, the always-punchy drivetrain is almost eerily quiet. Rather too quiet, it could be argued. You do get a whiff of the five?s gravelly voice when it?s wound up through the gears, but cruising is aurally neutered.

Although the T5 might move quietly, it carries a big stick ? all the better to play Punch to its Judy rivals. On a day when limited track time allowed the T5 only two standing-start runs, we were well impressed to see high-sixes for the 0-100km/h and just a whisker over 15 seconds for the 400m express ? damn quick.

The Audi and BMW simply haven?t the squirt to run with the Volvo whenever the lusty Swede slams the hammer down. Even so, both fours make the most of what they?ve got. In spite of the Audi having the same power-to-weight ratio (88kW/tonne) as its compatriot, gutsy turbocharged torque gives the Sportback decisively quicker acceleration than the 120i in every circumstance.

But don?t for a moment think the 120i accepts relegation lying down. Although blown away by the turbos? pace, the BMW shows real mettle in the self-assured way it puts its head down, keeps the revs up and gets on with the job.

Out in the real world, away from timed-acceleration tests, the pecking order remains unchanged. But when you work at it, the 120i can effectively narrow the gap somewhat in many situations, because more of its performance capability can be accessed than is possible, practical or legal (pick one), in the turbos.
The engines are further sweetened by six-speed manual ?boxes with excellent gearshift tactility.

In this respect, the Audi?s rifle-bolt precision from slot to slot just shades the excellent BMW?s unerring accuracy, leaving the C30?s lever without blemish but with a less well-defined gate and lighter travel.

Although the test Volvo?s sharp-ish clutch engagement and snatchy drivetrain backlash can?t be ignored, both conditions are occupational hazards in any long, hard road-test career. In contrast, the test BMW came with only a quarter as much active duty as the Volvo, and the Audi even less.

Note that where the A3 and 120i are quite similarly and suitably geared for speed-per-1000rpm, the C30 T5 has, befittingly, much longer legs in every ratio. Its third gear, for example, pulls almost as many km/h as the others do in fourth. If you were driving without concern for speed limits, you could verify that the C30 T5?s top whack (seen in 4th and 5th gears) is some 10 percent faster than what the 1.8T and 120i achieve outright.

Whatever the speeds, hopefully all your cruising roads are reasonably smooth. Otherwise, you may well find the ride discomforting. There?s no denying that an athletically taut ride quality is part of the job description for these models. Consequently, perceptible degrees of discipline are intrinsic to
their sportiness. Ordinarily, such terseness isn?t so intrusive as to cause comment, let alone criticism; well, not for the Audi anyway. However, even the Sportback?s usually amenable absorbency can be sorely ruffled by aggressively gnarly surfaces that inflict hard jabs to the body.

By and large, the 120i rides fairly similarly to the Sportback. Its suspension copes satisfactorily, if a touch firmly, with average roads? relatively minor disturbances, but comes up a bit short when challenged by demanding surfaces. The BMW?s overall ride quality is also eroded by the incessant slight jiggling induced by its run-flat tyres? sidewall stiffness. There?s slight but persistent irritation even on roads that the Audi and Volvo cover smoothly.

That?s saying something for the C30 T5 when it?s fitted, as our test car was, with the optional firmer and lower sports suspension. But, while it does work better than BMW?s solution, and add something to 10/10ths cornering through billiard-table bends, the sports suspension also brings jarring harshness and crash-through to the bumpy-road ride. On smooth stuff, however, the T5 transforms into a ground-hugging, fluidly speedy and passionately involving means of compressing time and distance.

Each model handles with skilled distinction, spiced with an overt sense of enthusiasm that invites frequent visits. The 120i revels in the seemingly unflappable fore/aft balance and classic two-turning/two-burning chuck-ability that comes with a well-developed rear-drive chassis. It handles so brilliantly that likening it to a five-door MX-5 isn?t far off the mark. That rings especially true when chasing the Sportback 1.8T and C30 T5 through sinuous twisties, even if reality checks serve reminders that the 120i chassis benefits from not having to contend with the turbos? sheer grunt and speed.

There?s nothing patronising intended when we say the 1.8T and T5 handle impressively well for such powerful front-drivers. They handle impressively, regardless. Of course, you can?t pour that much urge through front wheels without some lively side effects. However, the current combination of expert chassis development with sophisticated stability, traction and braking systems (plus Audi?s electronic diff-lock) has just about eliminated the old bogies of gross understeer, wrist-wrenching wheel-tug and wilful torque-steer. And when adventure calls, the stability/traction-off button awaits.

The upshot is that the Sportback 1.8T has very capable, very controllable, confidently sure-footed and well-balanced handling that is as enjoyable as it is proficient. The Volvo also has the driving dynamics to take play to another level, where its extra performance potential means more challenge, and, ultimately, more reward.

Although the brakes are comparably arresting on all three of the tested cars, pedal feel differs. The Bimmer?s brake weighting and progression are about as good as it gets.

However, while the others are great once you?re leaning on them, they don?t quite have the same level of refinement. The Volvo?s pedal travel is a touch
long and feels slightly soft after driving the 120i, while the A3?s stoppers initially feel a bit too sudden and over-assisted.

In a chassis where BMW?s brand values loom large, the 120i?s steering is a surprise. Although the system is reasonably direct, feels properly connected and provides the group?s tightest turning circle (in practice, if not on spec), its beyond-meaty weighting makes for real drudgery around city and suburbs ? and isn?t the most tactile elsewhere, either.

The Audi and Volvo are generally more steerable, and provide more feedback from the road thanks to lighter, easier, more consistently weighted steering.They have life in them where the BMW does not.

The instrument clusters on all three vehicles are well presented, except that the 120i cheapens its message by omitting a coolant temperature gauge.
There is no illuminated cruise-control-active symbol either. The 120i?s optional sat-nav package includes the ever-controversial iDrive system which, among
other things, duplicates the dash panel?s standard climate and audio controls.

Even Blind Freddy can see the respective dash-panels are very different in appearance. The most distinctive is Volvo?s, not only because of its Ikea-like functionality and its free-standing centre stack, but also thanks to its lower cowl height compared to the A3 and 120i. Where its rivals? outlooks are conventional and adequate, the C30?s extra depth produces more impressive, sweeping fields of view.

If only the Volvo?s front seats were as good. They?re comfortable, yes, and the driver gets electric adjustability with three memory settings, but a car with this level of performance warrants better side support and less slippery leather.

Volvo could learn from the 120i?s sports seats which have deeply sculpted sides, a length-adjustable cushion and, in this instance, supple (optional) leather trim. Then again, perhaps the Sportback is a better role model, for its buckets achieve a comfortable compromise between the C30?s hospitality and the 120i?s security.

Rear passengers find easiest entry and egress with the Sportback, only to discover the reasonably roomy bench is firm, flat and has no centre armrest. It also feels rather claustrophobic due to shallow windows, restricted forward view and, in our case, morosely dark trim.

The 120i gives rear passengers similar roominess to the Audi, but its constricted doorway makes for awkward accessibility to another ordinary bench lacking under-thigh support and a centre armrest.

The rear-accessibility hassle common to two- or three-door models ? squeezing past folded front seats ? is exacerbated in the Volvo by front seat belts that act as trip cords. The good news is that it may be worth the effort because although there?s a little less knee room and foot space, the twin-set seat is easily the most comfortable here. A centre armrest is included, but where, oh where, are the desperately needed overhead handgrips?

So, now it?s time to be figuring which of the three models steals the show. Photo finish. Set personal preferences or prejudices aside and what?s left is one very tough call.

Of course, if luggage capacity has high priority, the Volvo fluffs its lines and surrenders centre stage to the more capacious 120i and Sportback. However, that doesn?t imply the C30 T5 is out of the equation. No way. The Volvo?s very-swish coupe packaging offers more style and more individuality than the BMW and Audi, and incontestably more bang for your buck. Moreover, the C30 T5 isn?t just a one-act wonder. It balances mighty performance with pretty solid chassis dynamics, and invitingly user-friendly driveability all round.

In most respects, the 120i holds its own all the way to the podium ? which tier it steps on to is your choice. The BMW badge alone gives the 120i a leg-up in prestige stakes, as does the class exclusivity of rear drive. While its immensely enjoyable atmo engine can?t compete with the turbos for sheer performance, it beats them for fuel efficiency, and complements the car?s beautifully balanced handling whenever the chassis dynamics are given the chance to shine.

However, if your motoring revolves mainly around city and suburbs, the 120i?s chronically-jiggly ride and unnecessarily stodgy steering weighting are unpalatable sour notes.

The Sportback 1.8T perhaps came to this event as the car least likely. Audi doesn?t enjoy BMW?s brand power (although the four rings are catching the blue and white propeller for cachet), nor its nurtured perception for rear-drive superiority. And against the aesthetically adventurous C30, the Sportback?s styling inside and out appears studiously conservative. But to drive the Sportback 1.8T is to appreciate a car second-to-none on this stage, for the scope of its functionality and the range of its talents.

So, as they take their curtain calls, the 120i and C30 T5 tug at the audience?s heart strings while the Sportback 1.8T slips through between them and wins the head count.

http://www.wheelsmag.com.au/Road_Tests/Preen+Energy+-+Audi+A3+Sportback+1.8T+vs+BMW+120i+vs+Volvo+C30+T5.html