Got out the Corvette yesterday

Started by 280Z Turbo, July 08, 2005, 04:05:12 PM

280Z Turbo

My dad was able to free the flywheel with a chisel after it got stuck. Sorry for the quality of the pics, my camera always makes things too dark in daylight and too bright indoors. :rolleyes: As you can see, it has been modified and repainted sometime and fitted with 15" Cragar S/S rims.

The interior is not what I'm used to. Real chrome and vinyl is everywhere and there are no cheap plastics. The giant boney steering wheel is very close to your chest. I still can't figure out those top 2 knobs in the dash. They control the heater and fan.

The clutch is stiff (non-hydraulic) and NOTHING is automatic or power.

Gotta love the shape of that dash.

The brakes are non-power drums all around, but they stop suprisinly well. I just wouldn't want to autocross with them.

It probably has the aero dynamics of a bad airplane, but I guess Bill Mitchell didn't care!

The bumpers have been removed and the headlights were moved to the grille.

Here's an earlier pic I took of the engine. We think it's the original 327, but it does have headers, a 4 barrel Rochester "quadra-jet" carb, and 2.5 inch chambered exhaust. That little small block can move!! :lol:  

Raghavan

why'd you guys move the headlights? they look too low.
otherwise, great car and nice pics!

BMWDave

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

280Z Turbo

We didn't! A PO did it. Probably because of an accident.

My dad didn't modify anything on it except for the exhaust.

BMWDave

That interior is beautiful...quite retro...I love the look!

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

Raza

QuoteThat interior is beautiful...quite retro...I love the look!
It's not retro if it was built back then, Dave!

Anyway...

Nice pics!  Now that's a sports car!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Tom

giant_mtb

A Sting Ray is my third dream car. (under the #1 STi and #2 Ford GT) I'd, of course, want one with a 427.  I think you should put a front bumper on it...otherwise it looks too tall and not-so-sporty-low.  Other then that, beautiful car!  You're lucky!

280Z Turbo

QuoteA Sting Ray is my third dream car. (under the #1 STi and #2 Ford GT) I'd, of course, want one with a 427.  I think you should put a front bumper on it...otherwise it looks too tall and not-so-sporty-low.  Other then that, beautiful car!  You're lucky!
The headlights wouldn't work too well with bumpers in the way. ;)  These Corvettes were never "sporty-low" in the front. Here's how the headlamps are supposed to be.

footoflead

Damn your lucky....you got a 280Z, and a Sting Ray....any chance of you and me switchin places...
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

TBR

I love that color combo, a very nice car overall :)  

BMWDave

QuoteThat interior is beautiful...quite retro...I love the look!
It's not retro if it was built back then, Dave!

Anyway...

Nice pics!  Now that's a sports car!
I see what you mean :lol:   But its still a very nice interior. :)  I wanted to describe it as old timer, if you know what I mean, and I just picked the word retro.

2007 Honda S2000

280Z Turbo

We had the Vette out today again. That thing is a beast. It's like it's always in the powerband! My dad took it up to near 90 in a 55! He gave me a hard time about going 70 in a 55 in my Z. He never drives like that in anything else.:D

BMWDave

QuoteWe had the Vette out today again. That thing is a beast. It's like it's always in the powerband! My dad took it up to near 90 in a 55! He gave me a hard time about going 70 in a 55 in my Z. He never drives like that in anything else.:D
Cool :)  How many hp does it have?  Is it the original engine?

2007 Honda S2000

mazda6er

That's one hell of a car. I'd love to have a classic in that sort of condition. Rock on, dude.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

280Z Turbo

QuoteWe had the Vette out today again. That thing is a beast. It's like it's always in the powerband! My dad took it up to near 90 in a 55! He gave me a hard time about going 70 in a 55 in my Z. He never drives like that in anything else.:D
We don't know the hp. They had gross hp back then as opposed to modern day net hp that you're used to. Plus, it's been modified. Originally, there were 250, 300, 340, and 360 hp versions. 360 was the fuel injected car, and I don't think it's the 340 hp version.

It has the right code casted on the block for that year, but who knows?

footoflead

We don't know the hp. They had gross hp back then as opposed to modern day net hp that you're used to. Plus, it's been modified. Originally, there were 250, 300, 340, and 360 hp versions. 360 was the fuel injected car, and I don't think it's the 340 hp version.

It has the right code casted on the block for that year, but who knows?
Take it to my little friend....otherwise know as a DYNO....and post the results..it would be interesting to find out what its puttin to the ground...i'll say ~300 RWHP
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

280Z Turbo

I don't think that my dad would be up to that. It's not that cheap.

I might dyno the Z, however.

giant_mtb

I don't think it's worth the money to get it Dyno'd.  Put a little time and effort into it and you could probably find out through a little research on the web without having to spend a bunch on the Dyno.

280Z Turbo

QuoteI don't think it's worth the money to get it Dyno'd.  Put a little time and effort into it and you could probably find out through a little research on the web without having to spend a bunch on the Dyno.
Well, like I said earlier, no you really can't.

giant_mtb

QuoteI don't think it's worth the money to get it Dyno'd.  Put a little time and effort into it and you could probably find out through a little research on the web without having to spend a bunch on the Dyno.
Well, like I said earlier, no you really can't.
Huh?

280Z Turbo

1.) It has been modified (Internally or not, we don't know)
2.) Back in the 60's they measured with gross hp. That's where they don't test with mufflers, accesories, etc. We're all used to net hp.
3.) We don't know which engine option it has.
4.) 42 years can wear out an engine!

Secret Chimp

I like how that one-piece replacement front clip looks, but it definitely has a bit of a picnic table appearance without a bumper sticking out lower down. It'd look rad with some vintage Chevy rally wheels:

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

280Z Turbo

It's not a replacement. It's the original front end that has been fiberglassed. (quite poorly, I might add)

Secret Chimp

QuoteIt's not a replacement. It's the original front end that has been fiberglassed. (quite poorly, I might add)
Ah well, whatever. From a distance and in a small picture it looks better compared to the original. Maybe you can Dremel open the headlight seams sometime.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

280Z Turbo

QuoteIt's not a replacement. It's the original front end that has been fiberglassed. (quite poorly, I might add)
Ah well, whatever. From a distance and in a small picture it looks better compared to the original. Maybe you can Dremel open the headlight seams sometime.
That would cost a fortune. The motors and all that headlight mechanism is long gone.

Run Away

I'll sell you a set of Prelude pop-up motors...;)
I;m sure you could make them work.

Raghavan

QuoteI'll sell you a set of Prelude pop-up motors...;)
I;m sure you could make them work.

those cheap ass motors... :rolleyes:  :lol: