Dodge Challenger caught showing EVERYTHING

Started by CJ, January 16, 2008, 01:39:22 PM

Raza

Wow, even in a color other than orange, the thing looks very good, especially from the front.  Shame that it's not offering a stick, though.  I guess I'll wait for the G8's.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=12939.msg706695#msg706695 date=1200516094
Wow, even in a color other than orange, the thing looks very good, especially from the front.  Shame that it's not offering a stick, though.  I guess I'll wait for the G8's.
The first 5000 are soming with autostick only.  The R/T's that come out this coming summer will be available with a 6 speed manual.

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

LonghornTX

Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

Vinsanity

At first I was split, but now I think I prefer the Camaro's more creative styling to the Challenger, which looks like it was sketched from memory after watching Vanishing Point.

Raza

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on January 16, 2008, 03:35:26 PM
Are they planning on a convertible?

I don't know, but I remember hearing about it; I don't think there are test mules or anything like that.  I think a convertible would look great. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

FlatBlackCaddy

Catman

I wasn't really swayed by the orange since I'm conservative with the colors but this looks really good, I like it. :rockon:

FlatBlackCaddy

I think the rear end is horrible, that kind of crap flew back in the 70's but that tail light cluster looks pathetic.

Detroit retro is turning into a disaster, i hope they pull out of this as soon as possible. I'd hate for some flash in the pan sales from diehard elders leading to a belief that these retro designs are worth exploring further.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on January 16, 2008, 06:20:58 PM
I think the rear end is horrible, that kind of crap flew back in the 70's but that tail light cluster looks pathetic.

Detroit retro is turning into a disaster, i hope they pull out of this as soon as possible. I'd hate for some flash in the pan sales from diehard elders leading to a belief that these retro designs are worth exploring further.
As of today it's only 2 models,with the Camaro on the way, that I can think of that use retro styling. Also all 3 are pony/muscle cars that are reconnecting (2 are coming back from the dead) the original designs. I see no harm in that.

SVT666

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on January 16, 2008, 06:58:54 PM
As of today it's only 2 models,with the Camaro on the way, that I can think of that use retro styling. Also all 3 are pony/muscle cars that are reconnecting (2 are coming back from the dead) the original designs. I see no harm in that.
Me neither.  I just hope the Camaro isn't too late to the party.

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Minpin

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 16, 2008, 08:39:47 PM
Me neither.  I just hope the Camaro isn't too late to the party.

I think the Camaro's fate is already sealed.
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

ChrisV

Quote from: Vinsanity on January 16, 2008, 04:47:32 PM
At first I was split, but now I think I prefer the Camaro's more creative styling to the Challenger, which looks like it was sketched from memory after watching Vanishing Point.

yeah, none of the proportions are the same, it only looks identical until you put the new one next to the old one, at which point the new one looks decidedly chunky and modern.

I like the styling of it, including the taillights. It's much better than another set of huge chrome surrounded clusters with clear lights, right?
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

L. ed foote

It seems a bit too "slab sided" to me, but other than that, I like the styling.
Member, Self Preservation Society

LonghornTX

Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 16, 2008, 01:51:12 PM
The first 5000 are soming with autostick only.  The R/T's that come out this coming summer will be available with a 6 speed manual.

AutoStick FTW :rockon:

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

280Z Turbo

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on January 16, 2008, 06:58:54 PM

Are you forgetting the Mini, PT Cruiser and Mustang?

SVT666

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on January 17, 2008, 01:52:43 PM
I included the Mustang with the Challenger when I said "2 as of today".I forgot about the PT and HHR also,but I wouldn't include the Mini because it's not from (as stated in original post) Detroit.

Middle_Path

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on January 16, 2008, 06:20:58 PM

Thank you! Atleast somebody else seems to get it. It looks kind of like one of those old ass trans-am's from that late 70's or early 80's. Or like that mid to late 80's 300zx's. I happen to somewhat like both of those cars, but that style is just outdated.
You see what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps?!!

Raza

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on January 17, 2008, 01:52:43 PM

He included the Mustang, the Mini isn't an American car, and is the PT Cruiser still on sale?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Catman

Quote from: ChrisV on January 17, 2008, 06:13:59 AM
yeah, none of the proportions are the same, it only looks identical until you put the new one next to the old one, at which point the new one looks decidedly chunky and modern.

I like the styling of it, including the taillights. It's much better than another set of huge chrome surrounded clusters with clear lights, right?

Right. :ohyeah:

S204STi

Looks surprisingly good...better I think than what the Camaro concept promises.

The big thing is that competition improves the breed, and that means that the Mustang will likely see some improvements to keep up with the newcomers.

MidnightDave

I'm okay with the retro concept, and Ford nailed it with the 'stang, everybody else is missing the target IMO. The lines on this car are so simple and it's so slab sided, I think orange or red or some other color will actually help it look better.

2006 Lexus IS350 - bone stock wouldn't change a thing
2006 MINI Cooper S - For Sale!
2002 Toyota Tacoma - A man and his truck, it's a beautiful thing!

Byteme

As a retro design it's quite successful.  Two questions come to mind:

1.  Will there be sufficient market demand for a retro look challenger when it is finally available for sale?

2.  How will gasoline costing $3 to $4 dollars affect demand?

SVT666

Quote from: Byteme on January 18, 2008, 10:35:50 AM
As a retro design it's quite successful.  Two questions come to mind:

1.  Will there be sufficient market demand for a retro look challenger when it is finally available for sale?
Dealers are taking orders and I believe all initial 5000 are already spoken for.  Delivery begins in approx. 3 months, so demand won't be a problem.  Demand for the Camaro may be a problem after people get sick of waiting for it and buy a Challenger or redesigned Mustang before it even comes out.

Quote2.  How will gasoline costing $3 to $4 dollars affect demand?
It won't.

Byteme

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 18, 2008, 10:57:10 AM
Dealers are taking orders and I believe all initial 5000 are already spoken for.  Delivery begins in approx. 3 months, so demand won't be a problem.  Demand for the Camaro may be a problem after people get sick of waiting for it and buy a Challenger or redesigned Mustang before it even comes out.
It won't.

I was thinking more of what if they decide to start producing in quantity, like the Mustang.