Acura TL - Test Drive Impressions

Started by TheIntrepid, January 16, 2008, 07:49:16 PM

TheIntrepid

Next up on Intrepid & Mrs. Intrepid's test drive list, the Acura TL.

We drove the non-Navi, non-ASpec version of the TL. First off, I really liked the interior. The car felt well put together, and the black on black demo car looked gorgeous. I think everyone here knows how much I love the looks of the TL.

The salesman let us take it out on our own, and I had the chance to foot it on the highway for a few exits. I didn't even realize that I was doing 140 in the merging lane, that's how much straight line power this car had. It did however suffer from a lot of torque steer. Not a lot, per se, but definitely more noticeable than the Camry I pulled up to the dealership in. The handling was decent, but I was seriously blown away by the straight line power.

The car's engine wasn't "brutal, thrashy" power like I expected; it was extremely refined and made the Lexus ES350's dynamics feel clumsy. To put it bluntly, it was like driving a Camry and an Accord back to back. Sure, the Camry was smoother, slightly more comfortable, and the steering was lighter, but the Accord is much sportier.

Even though this car didn't feel as "sporty" as my friend's TSX, it certainly knocked yesterday's Lexus ES350 off the consideration list for the new car.

Next up: Nissan Maxima 3.5SL

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Vinsanity

to be honest, I thought the Maxima felt sportier than the TL; most noticeably in the tighter steering. also I wasn't quite "blown away" by the power; the CTS has 3 less hp but like 30 lb/ft more torque so it felt at least as powerful. great car, though :ohyeah:

Vinsanity

also I didn't think that the TSX felt any sportier than the TL.

additional note: I also liked the Maxima's CVT better than the TL's regular 5AT

Lebowski

LonghornTX

You should have driven the Type-S version.  It is MUCH better.
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: LonghornTX on January 17, 2008, 01:24:34 PM
You should have driven the Type-S version.  It is MUCH better.

Not in the budget. We're looking used now too.

LonghornTX

Quote from: TheIntrepid on January 17, 2008, 01:26:07 PM
Got ya.  If you can find a 6 speed model, give it a try, the gearbox is pretty nice.  I would also recommend trying some of the Saab models if you like this type of vehicle (FWD, compact/midsize), they are pretty fun cars IMO.

Vinsanity

Quote from: TheIntrepid on January 17, 2008, 01:26:07 PM

what IS her budget? she should get a 2008 CTS :praise:

Middle_Path

Quote from: TheIntrepid on January 16, 2008, 07:49:16 PM

The car's engine wasn't "brutal, thrashy" power like I expected; it was extremely refined and made the Lexus ES350's dynamics feel clumsy. To put it bluntly, it was like driving a Camry and an Accord back to back. Sure, the Camry was smoother, slightly more comfortable, and the steering was lighter, but the Accord is much sportier.

Even though this car didn't feel as "sporty" as my friend's TSX, it certainly knocked yesterday's Lexus ES350 off the consideration list for the new car.

Next up: Nissan Maxima 3.5SL

This is just so full of fail. Of course the TL felt like an Accord and the Lexus felt like a Camry. That's WTF they are. Now that I got that off my chest. When you drive the Maxima notice how ugly and crude it seems comparatively. Though it does seem to be more spacious inside. Check out the fairly recent Avalon's and the brand new Camry's. They are very nice inside, a little floaty, but the TL probably wins. Otherwise, like the dude said, just get an accord. They are pretty much the same car except Acura has nicer gauges, seats, headlights, and those nice little soft rubbery knobs on the stereo controls.
You see what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps?!!

Raza

Quote from: Middle_Path on January 17, 2008, 03:47:29 PM
This is just so full of fail. Of course the TL felt like an Accord and the Lexus felt like a Camry. That's WTF they are. Now that I got that off my chest. When you drive the Maxima notice how ugly and crude it seems comparatively. Though it does seem to be more spacious inside. Check out the fairly recent Avalon's and the brand new Camry's. They are very nice inside, a little floaty, but the TL probably wins. Otherwise, like the dude said, just get an accord. They are pretty much the same car except Acura has nicer gauges, seats, headlights, and those nice little soft rubbery knobs on the stereo controls.

Especially with the new Accord out, the TL seems grossly overpriced.  The Maxima is a big, fat, floaty car, unlike, I'm told, the older models were.  I was very disappointed by the dynamics of the Maxima, but I found it rather relaxing.  The transmission was pretty good, actually; clutch was communicative, but the throws on the shifter were a bit long.  And the trunk is a disgrace.  I wouldn't recommend it.

What about a Legacy?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

GoCougs

The TL is light years beyond the Accord in noise isolation, and a bit better in ride quality. Both factors IMO are worth the price premium (this coming from an '05 Accord V6 owner). They are distinctly different cars.

TheIntrepid

TBR

Quote from: Raza  on January 17, 2008, 05:20:46 PM
Especially with the new Accord out, the TL seems grossly overpriced.  The Maxima is a big, fat, floaty car, unlike, I'm told, the older models were.  I was very disappointed by the dynamics of the Maxima, but I found it rather relaxing.  The transmission was pretty good, actually; clutch was communicative, but the throws on the shifter were a bit long.  And the trunk is a disgrace.  I wouldn't recommend it.

What about a Legacy?

The Maxima has been revised significantly since you drove one (a MY2004, right?).

ifcar

I think he drove an 07, but its changes made it less sporty than before.

Raza

Quote from: TBR on January 19, 2008, 04:55:59 PM
The Maxima has been revised significantly since you drove one (a MY2004, right?).

I think it was an 05 or 06; the last year before the CVT became the only transmission. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: Middle_Path on January 17, 2008, 03:47:29 PM
This is just so full of fail. Of course the TL felt like an Accord and the Lexus felt like a Camry. That's WTF they are.

The TL is not an Accord. It is a TL, and there are significant differences between them. The Lexus, I have no idea.

Raza

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on January 19, 2008, 05:55:45 PM

The TL is not an Accord. It is a TL, and there are significant differences between them. The Lexus, I have no idea.

Come on, it's like 90% Accord.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

J86

I kinda like the TL...interior is simple and clean, and it goes pretty good!

ifcar

Quote from: Raza  on January 19, 2008, 06:04:58 PM
Come on, it's like 90% Accord.

Not anymore. The Accord has since been redesigned.

Raza

Quote from: ifcar on January 19, 2008, 07:17:42 PM
Not anymore. The Accord has since been redesigned.

So that's even worse.  It's 90% old model Accord. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

2o6

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=12943.msg709679#msg709679 date=1200795975
So that's even worse.  It's 90% old model Accord. 

New is not always better.... :lol:

Raza

Quote from: 2o6 on January 19, 2008, 07:27:14 PM
New is not always better.... :lol:

Don't I know it.  But the woman probably can't tell the difference.  The car does not justify the markup. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

the Teuton

Quote from: TheIntrepid on January 17, 2008, 05:53:10 PM
Sc00bies are "ugly", according to her :rolleyes:

Her taste seems to be lacking.  "Vat is a boax-air engine?"
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

CALL_911

Quote from: the Teuton on January 20, 2008, 01:14:11 AM

She's a n00b.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

My GF asked me what a TL Type-S was out of the blue one day.  She doesn't know a thing about cars and explained to me that it was her friend's dream car.  I told her that it was kinda of a lame dream to be dreaming about a FWD family sedan that costs around 32k probably.  My girlfriend then told me her friend told her it was really expensive.  Then I actually looked up the price and saw that sucker stickers for 38K. 

WTF 38K for a 286 HP FWD Accord???????

That makes the 335i sedan look like a downright bargain.  It makes the G35 look like a free give away.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: the Teuton on January 20, 2008, 01:14:11 AM

You clearly don't know women. As long as it's "cute", and it fits in the budget, and has enough glovebox room for makeup and such, it's perfect.

ZOMGSOCUTE.

Raza

Quote from: 565 on January 22, 2008, 11:00:34 PM
My GF asked me what a TL Type-S was out of the blue one day.  She doesn't know a thing about cars and explained to me that it was her friend's dream car.  I told her that it was kinda of a lame dream to be dreaming about a FWD family sedan that costs around 32k probably.  My girlfriend then told me her friend told her it was really expensive.  Then I actually looked up the price and saw that sucker stickers for 38K. 

That makes the 335i sedan look like a downright bargain.  It makes the G35 look like a free give away.

Yeah, the TL-S is about 8K too expensive.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Vinsanity

Quote from: 565 on January 22, 2008, 11:00:34 PM

carsdirect.com has them for just under $34k. Which seemed better until I saw how much you could get a G35 for.

LonghornTX

Quote from: Raza  on January 23, 2008, 07:13:09 AM

Yeah, the TL-S is about 8K too expensive.
The TL-S is actually quite good and definitely worth the price IMO, if you are looking for that kind of car (FWD luxory sedan with some sport thrown in). 

It has a nicer interior than just about all the cars in the segment IMO and its gearbox is easily the best.  The Nav system also handily beats BMW, Infiniti, and Audi.  Plus, the thing is pretty loaded at that price, something that cannot be said for some of its competitors.

Has anyone here actually driven the car extensively other than me? 

ifcar

The TL non-S has all of those things you list without needless markup for a body kit and bigger wheels.