Arizona Plan for Statewide Speed Cameras

Started by dazzleman, January 19, 2008, 07:37:21 AM

dazzleman

James Young ought to love this one....

Arizona Budget Banking on Speeders
PHOENIX, Sat Jan 19, 06:57 AM

Arizona Gov. Janet Napolitano says the deployment of new photo radar or other speed enforcement technology on state highways is all about public safety. But her proposed state budget counts on the anticipated speeding fines to help erase a projected revenue shortfall.

The proposal, submitted to the Legislature late Friday, anticipates $120 million in revenue the first year, including $90 million in net income after expenses from the statewide effort. Even bigger dollar amounts are expected in future years.

The state faces a projected revenue shortfall of at least $1.2 billion in the fiscal year that starts July 1.

While some states use photo radar and similar technology on a limited basis in areas such as construction zones, experts said Arizona is in the vanguard of moving toward a widespread deployment of speed technology on highways.

"It wasn't designated primarily for revenue generation but since we have it (and) it works, we want to move statewide," Napolitano said. "We made that decision before the whole budget issue arose. Now we take advantage of it and use it for law enforcement highway safety purposes."

The governor's budget aides said Friday they could not immediately provide details on assumptions used to project the revenue estimate, including the numbers of expected violations.

Napolitano's plan needs approval by the Republican-led Legislature, and one key lawmaker expressed immediate opposition.

"I don't know whether Arizonans want to be policed by cameras," said Senate Transportation Chairman Ron Gould, adding that he plans legislation to require that voters decide the issue. "It smacks of Big Brother to me."

Proposals calling for even limited use of cameras have run into opposition in some states.

Maryland's transportation secretary on Tuesday told lawmakers that cameras in highway work zones would improve worker safety and reduce accidents, but lawmakers raised concerns on privacy, effectiveness and motive.

Arizona Automobile Association spokeswoman Linda Gorman said the 750,000-member group representing drivers supports photo radar as a way to improve traffic safety but not to help balance the state budget.

A year ago, Napolitano cited results from suburban Scottsdale's use of fixed cameras on a stretch of state freeway when she directed the state Department of Public Safety to begin researching the possible use of new speed enforcement devices.

An Arizona State University professor who studied the Scottsdale project found that it reduced speeding and accident rates. That system uses sensors embedded in the freeway to trigger cameras that snap photos of speeding vehicles. Motor vehicle records are checked to find the vehicles' owners, ultimately leading to citations for identified drivers.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Tave

I hadn't realized Napolitano reinstated the Loop 101 cameras. What a hose-beast.

I got my picture taken by the one furthest south a couple days before they became operational. :praise:
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

dazzleman

Quote from: Tave on January 19, 2008, 09:52:59 AM
I hadn't realized Napolitano reinstated the Loop 101 cameras. What a hose-beast.

I got my picture taken by the one furthest south a couple days before they became operational. :praise:

:thumbsup:
How did you know?  Did you get a notice in the mail with a warning?

Now that the economy is slowing and revenues aren't soaring as they were previously, all the slimy politicians will have to turn to stuff like this, as well as higher taxes, to keep up the spending that they foolishly increased when the revenues were rolling in.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Tave

Quote from: dazzleman on January 19, 2008, 09:54:44 AM
:thumbsup:
How did you know?  Did you get a notice in the mail with a warning?

You can see the flash. Scottsdale gave everyone a 1-2 month grace period between the cameras comming online and the city handing out tickets, so you had time to "play" with them a little. :lol:
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

dazzleman

Quote from: Tave on January 19, 2008, 10:21:37 AM
You can see the flash. Scottsdale gave everyone a 1-2 month grace period between the cameras comming online and the city handing out tickets, so you had time to "play" with them a little. :lol:

I love to play with those things.  The PD in my town sets up speed monitors to get people to slow down.  They tell you what speed you're going, and flash if you're going a certain amount over the speed limit.  I always speed up when I see them, and try to get them to flash.  One of these days, I may regret it....:lol: :evildude:

James Young

Who said all the criminals are robbing 7-11s or brewing up meth?

What bothers me the most is that the law shows no respect for the citizen but then demands respect from those same citizens.  That is the stuff from which revolutions arise.
Freedom is dangerous.  You can either accept the risks that come with it or eventually lose it all step-by-step.  Each step will be justified by its proponents as a minor inconvenience that will help make us all "safer."  Personally, I'd rather have a slightly more dangerous world that respects freedom more. ? The Speed Criminal

hounddog

Quote from: dazzleman on January 19, 2008, 10:27:05 AM
I love to play with those things.  The PD in my town sets up speed monitors to get people to slow down.  They tell you what speed you're going, and flash if you're going a certain amount over the speed limit.  I always speed up when I see them, and try to get them to flash.  One of these days, I may regret it....:lol: :evildude:
When I went to the township PD, we used to set up those nannys, and then sit about a block away running radar on the people who sped up for them. 

Our magistrate thought it was the funniest thing he had ever heard, and absolutely let anyone fighting the ticket have it with both barrels! 
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

hounddog

Quote from: James Young on January 19, 2008, 11:30:39 AM
That is the stuff from which revolutions arise.

Revolutions start because of speeding tickets? 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Tave

On the brisk, fall morning of October 25, 1917, a young man was pulled over in Moscow for doing 5 mph over in a 10 mph zone. What happened next shook the world...

James Young

Quote from: hounddog on January 19, 2008, 12:28:38 PM

No, revolutions start because citizens are being abused by government under the pretense of ?security.?  Whether the mechanism is traffic fines or onerous taxes on tea matters little.
Freedom is dangerous.  You can either accept the risks that come with it or eventually lose it all step-by-step.  Each step will be justified by its proponents as a minor inconvenience that will help make us all "safer."  Personally, I'd rather have a slightly more dangerous world that respects freedom more. ? The Speed Criminal

hounddog

In 1771 the first accident involving a motor vehicle took place in Paris when Cugnot's steam tractor hit a low wall in the grounds of the Paris arsenal.

In 1895 John Henry Knight was convicted and fined for using a motor-tricycle on the highway. He was probably the first motorist to appear in court.

The first motor-car accident in Britain resulting in the death of the driver occurred in Grove Hill, Harrow-on-the Hill, London, February 25th, 1899.

I know that was not the point of your post, Tave, but it reminded me of these things.
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

hounddog

Quote from: James Young on January 19, 2008, 12:48:53 PM
No, revolutions start because citizens are being abused by government under the pretense of “security.”  Whether the mechanism is traffic fines or onerous taxes on tea matters little.
Are you sure its not because the police set up revenue "speed traps?" 

~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

James Young

Quote from: hounddog on January 19, 2008, 12:51:11 PM

speed traps are but one form of abuse.

GoCougs

Quote from: James Young on January 19, 2008, 11:30:39 AM
Who said all the criminals are robbing 7-11s or brewing up meth?

What bothers me the most is that the law shows no respect for the citizen but then demands respect from those same citizens.  That is the stuff from which revolutions arise.

Constitutional republicanism, James, Constitutional republicanism.

dazzleman

Quote from: hounddog on January 19, 2008, 12:27:51 PM
When I went to the township PD, we used to set up those nannys, and then sit about a block away running radar on the people who sped up for them. 

Our magistrate thought it was the funniest thing he had ever heard, and absolutely let anyone fighting the ticket have it with both barrels! 

Hah, I thought I was the only guy who sped up for those things.  Most people are nervous nellies who slow down, and are afraid of their own shadows, and I want to be different.... :evildude:

Still, if I got busted for speeding up for those things, I don't think I'd have the gall to try to defend myself.  I'd just suck up the fine, but I'd probably keep speeding up for them in the future....it's too much fun to do otherwise... :lol:

dazzleman

Quote from: James Young on January 19, 2008, 12:48:53 PM
No, revolutions start because citizens are being abused by government under the pretense of ?security.?  Whether the mechanism is traffic fines or onerous taxes on tea matters little.

I think it might take a bit more than speeding tickets to bring on the next revolution... :lockedup:

bing_oh

Quote from: hounddog on January 19, 2008, 12:51:11 PM

Poke. Poke. Poke.

Champ

Quote from: dazzleman on January 19, 2008, 02:00:39 PM
Hah, I thought I was the only guy who sped up for those things.  Most people are nervous nellies who slow down, and are afraid of their own shadows, and I want to be different.... :evildude:

Still, if I got busted for speeding up for those things, I don't think I'd have the gall to try to defend myself.  I'd just suck up the fine, but I'd probably keep speeding up for them in the future....it's too much fun to do otherwise... :lol:
We would setup our lacrosse nets in front of them and use them as shot clocks to see how fast we could shoot.

Ron From Regina

Quote from: dazzleman on January 19, 2008, 10:27:05 AM

I set off one of those last summer in a school zone on my mountain bike. Had I recieved a speeding ticket, I would have it framed, and hung it on my wall.

hounddog

Quote from: bing_oh on January 19, 2008, 10:50:19 PM
Poke. Poke. Poke.
Nooooooh, it was an honest question.  I really believe that the evil militarization of Americas civilian police is the first step to class warfare, a supreme dicatatorship, and overall bad behavior.  Not to mention that it will facilitate the end of the world on 10/12/2012.  The Bear and the Eagle shall bring forth the end in Apocolyptic Armageddon.
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

Minpin

Quote from: hounddog on January 20, 2008, 10:34:03 PM
Nooooooh, it was an honest question.  I really believe that the evil militarization of Americas civilian police is the first step to class warfare, a supreme dicatatorship, and overall bad behavior.  Not to mention that it will facilitate the end of the world on 10/12/2012.  The Bear and the Eagle shall bring forth the end in Apocolyptic Armageddon.

I hope this is a joke.
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

dazzleman

Quote from: Ron From Regina on January 20, 2008, 02:46:54 PM
I set off one of those last summer in a school zone on my mountain bike. Had I recieved a speeding ticket, I would have it framed, and hung it on my wall.

On a mountain bike?  That is pretty cool.... :ohyeah:

dazzleman

Byteme

Quote from: hounddog on January 19, 2008, 12:28:38 PM

And all this time I thought it was because of unequal representation, unfair taxes and being generally pissed off with King George.

Morris Minor

A lot of the speed cameras in the UK seem to catch fire. It would seem that the combustion is not exactly spontaneous.
http://www.speedcam.co.uk/gatso2.htm
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși