Wich would you choose?

Hardtop
14 (48.3%)
Convertible
15 (51.7%)

Total Members Voted: 29

SVT666

Quote from: ChrisV on January 27, 2008, 02:33:57 PM
Good, then go away. If it's more important to whine like a baby about your opinion so you don't have to think, than to have a logical, mature conversation, then GTFO. I don't give a fuck if I look like a jerk. Better than looking like a 2 year old that only THINKS they like cars.

See ya.
Better yet, you leave.  You're the immature 2 year old.  Just look at your reponses and the way you lose your cool. 

GoCougs

Quote from: 565 on January 24, 2008, 06:39:14 AM
This is harilious, a flame war over sunroofs....

God we've hit rock bottom.

LOL moment of the day. Somehow I missed the fun.

Get it through your thick skulls teh CarSPIN Internets - an opinion needs no other sanction than the simple fact that it exists. Nothing.

It's disingenuous to parade around in a magnanimous aura when all you really want to do is vent, or attack someone/something you don't like.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 27, 2008, 02:52:11 PM
Better yet, you leave.  You're the immature 2 year old.  Just look at your reponses and the way you lose your cool. 
+1
Jerks aren't welcome here.
BTW, I like how you have the "holier than thou" attitude just because you've owned so many cars. So Minpin only thinks he likes cars, huh? But you actually know him better than he does, right, because you've owned so many cars? :rolleyes: :Wtf:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Raza

Quote from: GoCougs on January 27, 2008, 02:38:31 PM
Hard-tops all the way. I'd never own a convertible - safety, noise, comfort, durability, whatever - even if I lived in a convertible-friendly climate.

I don't think modern convertibles are noticeably less safe than hardtops.  I'd be willing to bet that a Cayman's louder than my Boxster (I know that the interior volume goes way up when the top is up).  Convertibles are probably just as comfortable, and I've never heard of a convertible failure on a modern car.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MX793

Quote from: Raza  on January 27, 2008, 04:15:28 PM
I don't think modern convertibles are noticeably less safe than hardtops.  I'd be willing to bet that a Cayman's louder than my Boxster (I know that the interior volume goes way up when the top is up).  Convertibles are probably just as comfortable, and I've never heard of a convertible failure on a modern car.

A fixed roof is definately structurally sounder.  Remember that woman who rolled her Solstice on the Tail of the Dragon?  The windshield hoop simply flattened.  A fixed roof most likely wouldn't have given like that.

As far as durability goes, it's not so much the mechanism's durability that is a chief concern.  The fabric itself wears through normal use and deteriorates over time (sunlight helps this along) and inevitably requires replacement, often within 10 years.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MrH

Well, I skipped the 6 page bitch fest for obvious reasons, and thought I'd weigh in on the whole issue.  If someone wants to call me out on it too, go right ahead.

Depends on the car for me.  I don't have too much experience with convertibles, so it's hard to say which I'd purchase if even the choice.  It would also really depend if it was my only car or not.  If I was buying a second car, I'd be much more likely to get a convertible.

As for sunroofs, even though I have one, I'd prefer to get rid of it.  I usually don't even notice if it's open or not.  No fresh air is really let in by it, and it just makes a lot of wind noise.  On top of that, it takes up valuable headroom from me, which I need every inch of because I have a really long torso.  If I had to do it all over again, I wish I had waited an looked at a nearly identical version of my car, but without a sunroof, with leather, and was Laser Blue instead of Silver.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Minpin

Good, then go away. If it's more important to whine like a baby about your opinion so you don't have to think, than to have a logical, mature conversation, then GTFO. I don't give a fuck if I look like a jerk. Better than looking like a 2 year old that only THINKS they like cars.

See ya.

I love you Chris V.
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

Byteme

See ya.

I guess that anger management class didn't do much good, eh?   :lol:

TheIntrepid

Quote from: thecarnut on January 27, 2008, 02:42:36 PM
I don't get this... He states his opinion, and Yoder and now you are whining like a bitch about how Minpin is wrong. :rolleyes:
How about you GTFO instead? You have a track record of always getting your panties into a bunch anyways if someone doesn't agree with your opinions because then they're just 'close minded' and illogical. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

+1!!11!!ELEVEN

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Tave

Quote from: JYODER240 on January 26, 2008, 09:46:39 PM
Why don't you go back and reread my posts so you can see what I was actually saying. I never said he should like sunroofs or that he needs to have one but thanks for putting words in my mouth. I said his reasons for not liking sunroofs were illogical, which they were. He only complained about the poor setup in his car and then applied that to all sunroofs. He made them sound like they were worthless because all they do is let heat in the car, which again isn't true.

Well, that's not all they do, but it is one thing they do. If someone doesn't like the heat of a sunroof, then I think that's a good reason for that person not to buy one.

QuoteIf you pull the shade forward it blocks the heat and stops the light from passing through.

Forgive me, but I think it's completely worthless to drive around with a shaded sunroof when it's nice outside. That's one of the most stupid, pointless activities I've ever heard of.

QuoteAnd like I said feeling the heat, the wind, etc is part of the driving experience. Being closed off from whats going on around you is isolation.

Like I said several times already everyone is entitled to their own opinion but if they're going to voice them on a public car forum they should atleast have logical reasons to back them up.

I hope you pursue every opinion with the same veracity and diligence you've committed to this one. Keep fighting the good fight.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

JYODER240

Quote from: Tave on January 28, 2008, 08:27:24 AM
Well, that's not all they do, but it is one thing they do. If someone doesn't like the heat of a sunroof, then I think that's a good reason for that person not to buy one.

Forgive me, but I think it's completely worthless to drive around with a shaded sunroof when it's nice outside. That's one of the most stupid, pointless activities I've ever heard of.

I hope you pursue every opinion with the same veracity and diligence you've committed to this one. Keep fighting the good fight.

I guess you didn't go back and actually read my posts.

Whatever I'm done with this. I don't care if you don't like sunroofs. Lots of people here don't and I didn't say anything to them about it. I said something to Minpin because his reasons for disliking them were weak and illogical. If I said something like "Corvette's suck, I drove one and the ride was rough and the interior was cramped" I would get called out on it wouldn't I? At least I hope I would. This is a public car forum where you are supposed to debate things, what's this place going to turn into if it's wrong to do that because it's someone's "personal" opinion. Isn't the purpose of this place to debate others opinions? I never said Minpin isn't entitled to his opinion no matter how illogical it is, but i'm allowed to point that out.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

SVT666

Quote from: JYODER240 on January 28, 2008, 08:56:28 AM

Whatever I'm done with this. I don't care if you don't like sunroofs. Lots of people here don't and I didn't say anything to them about it. I said something to Minpin because his reasons for disliking them were weak and illogical. If I said something like "Corvette's suck, I drove one and the ride was rough and the interior was cramped" I would get called out on it wouldn't I? At least I hope I would. This is a public car forum where you are supposed to debate things, what's this place going to turn into if it's wrong to do that because it's someone's "personal" opinion. Isn't the purpose of this place to debate others opinions? I never said Minpin isn't entitled to his opinion no matter how illogical it is, but i'm allowed to point that out.
I don't understand how you and Chris think that someone's preference is up to debate.  Opinions based on false information?  Sure, but not a preference.  Preferences are not something that can be changed because you say it's wrong.

JYODER240

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 28, 2008, 09:07:42 AM
I don't understand how you and Chris think that someone's preference is up to debate.  Opinions based on false information?  Sure, but not a preference.  Preferences are not something that can be changed because you say it's wrong.

Call it opinion or preference, either way I'm not debating the preference itself. Notice I never tried to debate your stance on them? Like I said several times I don't care if you like them or not but you should be able to provide logical reasons for why you do or don't. The entire time Minpin was saying how sunroofs suck because of the poor setup on his car, the supposed 200F temps, etc. I was rightfuly debating his reasons for not liking sunroofs.

SVT666

Quote from: JYODER240 on January 28, 2008, 09:22:14 AM
Call it opinion or preference, either way I'm not debating the preference itself. Notice I never tried to debate your stance on them? Like I said several times I don't care if you like them or not but you should be able to provide logical reasons for why you do or don't. The entire time Minpin was saying how sunroofs suck because of the poor setup on his car, the supposed 200F temps, etc. I was rightfuly debating his reasons for not liking sunroofs.
Even the reasons for not liking something should not be up for debate.  If I don't like lowriders it doesn't matter why, or even if you think my reasons are weak, because obviously my reasons are good enough for me.

Byteme

Quote from: JYODER240 on January 28, 2008, 09:22:14 AM
Like I said several times I don't care if you like them or not but you should be able to provide logical reasons for why you do or don't.

Logical to who?  Reasons logical to one person may seem illogical to another.  That doesn't make either person's opinion or preference any less valid to themselves.

An example.  For years I wouldn't touch a Japanese car because I was (and still am to some extent) pissed off about Pearl Harbor. many would call that illogical, but I found it perfectly logical (Why support the people and country that killed many of my father's generation).  

JYODER240

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 28, 2008, 09:43:53 AM
Even the reasons for not liking something should not be up for debate.  If I don't like lowriders it doesn't matter why, or even if you think my reasons are weak, because obviously my reasons are good enough for me.

Then I suggest you don't come to a public car forum :huh:

Byteme

Quote from: JYODER240 on January 28, 2008, 10:31:19 AM

Perhaps people come to discuss cars, not to get flamed for their opinions or preferences.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: JYODER240 on January 28, 2008, 10:31:19 AM
Are you saying you'd like every thread to become a bitch fest like this one?
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

JYODER240

Quote from: Byteme on January 28, 2008, 10:36:30 AM
Perhaps people come to discuss cars, not to get flamed for their opinions or preferences.

For one no one got "flamed". Secondly, I've said this several times but apparently you're having trouble. I was never debating anyones opinion or preference. I was saying that he reasons for it were weak, which they were. This is a car forum, we were debating something car related. Whats wrong with that? Again if I said "Corvettes suck, I drove one and it was cramped and the ride was firm" shouldn't I be called out on that?

Byteme

Quote from: JYODER240 on January 28, 2008, 10:46:27 AM
For one no one got "flamed". Secondly, I've said this several times but apparently you're having trouble. I was never debating anyones opinion or preference. I was saying that he reasons for it were weak, which they were. This is a car forum, we were debating something car related. Whats wrong with that? Again if I said "Corvettes suck, I drove one and it was cramped and the ride was firm" shouldn't I be called out on that?

No, I'm having no trouble at all.  I didn't specifically state you flamed him, but he certainly got flamed (IMHO).

When you debate the reasons for someone's preferences or opinions you are challenging the preference or opinion itself.  They might have seemed weak to you but they were strong enough to him to drive his opinion.

"You don't like Corvetts?  OK, others do."  Seriously, If you made your statement that's pretty much how I would respond.

Tave

Quote from: JYODER240 on January 28, 2008, 08:56:28 AM

Whatever I'm done with this. I don't care if you don't like sunroofs.

I like them. I like convertibles. I voted convertible at the beginning of the thread, and as soon as the topic of sunroofs came up, I said I would always take a car that has one over one that doesn't.

QuoteLots of people here don't and I didn't say anything to them about it. I said something to Minpin because his reasons for disliking them were weak and illogical. If I said something like "Corvette's suck, I drove one and the ride was rough and the interior was cramped" I would get called out on it wouldn't I? At least I hope I would. This is a public car forum where you are supposed to debate things, what's this place going to turn into if it's wrong to do that because it's someone's "personal" opinion. Isn't the purpose of this place to debate others opinions? I never said Minpin isn't entitled to his opinion no matter how illogical it is, but i'm allowed to point that out.

I agree with you in principle, but in practice, it sounded a lot harsher than that.

And, IMO, the decision wether or not to buy a sunroof isn't much different from the decision of what color to buy. It's simply not something worth arguing about. I don't care if someone hates sunroof, whatever their reason, just like I don't care if someone hates black cars. It's not worth my time to call them out.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

TheIntrepid

Again if I said "Corvettes suck, I drove one and it was cramped and the ride was firm" shouldn't I be called out on that?

No. You should be let be, because it's your opinion and you're entitled to it. Sort of like that guy who likes Toyota Camries because they're smooth, quiet, and comfortable....

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

SVT666

If you said the Corvette sucked because it has a shitty engine, I would be all over you.  But if you said the Corvette sucked because the ride was too harsh and the interior was made of shitty plastic and the seats feel like they're going to break all the time, then I would leave you be.  But that's an opinion, not a preference.  If you say you prefer a 300 hp V6 to a 300 hp V8 because you prefer the sound I would leave you be even though I think you're fucking nuts because it's a preference not an opinion.  See the difference?

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Whats wrong with that? Again if I said "Corvettes suck, I drove one and it was cramped and the ride was firm" shouldn't I be called out on that?

Corvettes don't suck,  you suck. :evildude:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MX793 on January 27, 2008, 04:43:21 PM
A fixed roof is definately structurally sounder.  Remember that woman who rolled her Solstice on the Tail of the Dragon?  The windshield hoop simply flattened.  A fixed roof most likely wouldn't have given like that.

As far as durability goes, it's not so much the mechanism's durability that is a chief concern.  The fabric itself wears through normal use and deteriorates over time (sunlight helps this along) and inevitably requires replacement, often within 10 years.

What percentage of people do you think keep their cars for ten years and expect not to replace any parts?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 31, 2008, 06:33:03 PM
What percentage of people do you think keep their cars for ten years and expect not to replace any parts?

Tops aren't cheap.

My dad's Corvette has the top down most of the time now since it's shrunk so bad and doesn't even come close to sealing. Although it is 45 years old. :lol:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on January 31, 2008, 06:46:55 PM
Tops aren't cheap.

My dad's Corvette has the top down most of the time now since it's shrunk so bad and doesn't even come close to sealing. Although it is 45 years old. :lol:

Neither are engines or transmissions: and after ten years it's not unheard of to be replacing both.

And I don't think anybody ever buys a convertible because it's the most practical option; they know they're paying more for a feature they want.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 31, 2008, 06:50:32 PM
Neither are engines or transmissions: and after ten years it's not unheard of to be replacing both.

And I don't think anybody ever buys a convertible because it's the most practical option; they know they're paying more for a feature they want.

:orly:

A modern engine and trans should last longer than that. My dad's Vette still has the original motor and trans!