Ifcars Freestyle Review

Started by Catman, May 05, 2005, 08:21:25 PM

Catman

I was just reading it and have to agree that it's a pretty good vehicle.  I have to wonder though, how much better would it be with the 3.5L mated to the 6speed?  Methinks it would be even better.

TBR

Obviously more power would make it better, but I personally think even better fuel economy is going to be the 3.5l's real advantage for the kind of people that buy cars like the Freestyle and Five Hundred. I've said it many times on C/D, but this will be the first on this board: These cars are family sedans and wagons, not race cars or sports cars.  But, regardless, I think the Freestyle is a great family vehicle and an excellent alternative. It is also interesting that the companies that environmentalists gripe at the most for fuel guzzling trucks are the only ones making a real effort to produce a better alternative for families.

Catman

I have to agree regarding the power issue.  I hear people say that Sequoia's are underpowered all the time.  With the exception of twice a year driving fully loaded through the mountains up in Maine, I have no issue with the 4.7L in my Toyota.  It's not a race car and even when it is breathing a little heavy it's still getting the job done without much protest.  I think the HP wars are a little out of hand.

In regards to the Freestyle, I was thinking even more toward a little better refinement, the 3.0L is getting a little old.

The other day I parked my cruiser next to a Five Hundred and I couldn't believe how big the new car looked.  It's only about a foot shorter and doesn't look like it gives up much in interior space.

TBR

QuoteI have to agree regarding the power issue.  I hear people say that Sequoia's are underpowered all the time.  With the exception of twice a year driving fully loaded through the mountains up in Maine, I have no issue with the 4.7L in my Toyota.  It's not a race car and even when it is breathing a little heavy it's still getting the job done without much protest.  I think the HP wars are a little out of hand.

In regards to the Freestyle, I was thinking even more toward a little better refinement, the 3.0L is getting a little old.

The other day I parked my cruiser next to a Five Hundred and I couldn't believe how big the new car looked.  It's only about a foot shorter and doesn't look like it gives up much in interior space.
For people that tow I think more than 230hp in a vehicle as big as the Sequioa would be nice, but as the family hauler most people use it as the Sequioa has an adequete amount of power.  I think eventually people will realize that they really don't need 350hp to haul the kids to their soccer games and will therefore quit worrying so much about hp.

The Five Hundred is a very large and comfy car, pretty much the perfect family car imho.

Catman

Yeah, I wouldn't want to tow more than say 5000 lbs.  Toyota does need an optional engine for towers, but the newest 4.7 makes over 280 hp.  Like you said, fine for most.  I remember when Suburbans had like 200hp. ;)  

TBR

QuoteYeah, I wouldn't want to tow more than say 5000 lbs.  Toyota does need an optional engine for towers, but the newest 4.7 makes over 280 hp.  Like you said, fine for most.  I remember when Suburbans had like 200hp. ;)
I actually think 280hp is plenty for most towing. Now the limiting factor is apparantly the chassis as the ratings really haven't changed.  

Catman

I tend to think that Toyota low balls its tow ratings but in the case of the Sequoia it may be more to do with the springs as it is set up quite soft.  Unlike the Tundra, the Sequoia has a full box frame from front to back so you would expect more strength in that area.  

ifcar

The 3.5-liter will not only increase power (definitely needed) and fuel economy (from already-excellent levels), but it will also sound less strained, improving its refinement levels. That engine basically corrects the vehicle's only two flaws, let's hope it doesn't bump up the price.  

Catman

QuoteThe 3.5-liter will not only increase power (definitely needed) and fuel economy (from already-excellent levels), but it will also sound less strained, improving its refinement levels. That engine basically corrects the vehicle's only two flaws, let's hope it doesn't bump up the price.
If they can hold the line on price I'll be impressed, it's already a bargain in my book.

BMWDave

QuoteYeah, I wouldn't want to tow more than say 5000 lbs.  Toyota does need an optional engine for towers, but the newest 4.7 makes over 280 hp.  Like you said, fine for most.  I remember when Suburbans had like 200hp. ;)
I actually think 280hp is plenty for most towing. Now the limiting factor is apparantly the chassis as the ratings really haven't changed.
Towing isnt about hp, its about torque.  My Disco has a measley 188 hp  :o and has like 250 lb ft of torque.  It is rated to tow 7,700 pounds in low range with a class three trailer hitch receiver.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Catman

QuoteYeah, I wouldn't want to tow more than say 5000 lbs.? Toyota does need an optional engine for towers, but the newest 4.7 makes over 280 hp.? Like you said, fine for most.? I remember when Suburbans had like 200hp. ;)
Towing isnt about hp, its about torque.  My Disco has a measley 188 hp  :o and has like 250 lb ft of torque.  It is rated to tow 7,700 pounds in low range with a class three trailer hitch receiver.
Yeah, I think my Sequoia's rated at 315.  

BMWDave

QuoteYeah, I wouldn't want to tow more than say 5000 lbs.? Toyota does need an optional engine for towers, but the newest 4.7 makes over 280 hp.? Like you said, fine for most.? I remember when Suburbans had like 200hp. ;)
Yeah, I think my Sequoia's rated at 315.
315 is tons of torque.  How much is the Sequoia rated at?

2007 Honda S2000

Catman

BMWDave

Quote235 hp and 315 torque
No, I mean the tow rating.

2007 Honda S2000

mazda6er

This is a kinda wacky idea, but I'd like to see Ford drop a Jaguar engine in that thing, add a few appearance upgrades (interior and exterior) and position it to compete against the likes of the Saab 9-X and the "possibly" upcoming entry-level ute from Infiniti. This would be in addition to the trim-lines currently offered of course.  
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

ifcar

QuoteThis is a kinda wacky idea, but I'd like to see Ford drop a Jaguar engine in that thing, add a few appearance upgrades (interior and exterior) and position it to compete against the likes of the Saab 9-X and the "possibly" upcoming entry-level ute from Infiniti. This would be in addition to the trim-lines currently offered of course.
I believe Lincoln is supposed to get a vehicle basd on that architecture, perhaps some of that may actually happen.  

TBR

QuoteThis is a kinda wacky idea, but I'd like to see Ford drop a Jaguar engine in that thing, add a few appearance upgrades (interior and exterior) and position it to compete against the likes of the Saab 9-X and the "possibly" upcoming entry-level ute from Infiniti. This would be in addition to the trim-lines currently offered of course.
A Jaguar V8 will not happen, but perhaps the Yamaha unit in the XC90 V8.

BMWDave

They should NOT drop a Jaguar engine in it.  Ford needs to develop their own competent mainstream engine.  Jaguar engines should not be dropped into mainstream cars.  It dilutes their exclusiveness and upscale image.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

They should NOT drop a Jaguar engine in it.  Ford needs to develop their own competent mainstream engine.  Jaguar engines should not be dropped into mainstream cars.  It dilutes their exclusiveness and upscale image.
That is part of the reason I don't see them putting the Jag V8 in it (besides the fact it would require an extensive reworking to get the engine to work with a FWD based platform).

BMWDave

That is part of the reason I don't see them putting the Jag V8 in it (besides the fact it would require an extensive reworking to get the engine to work with a FWD based platform).
Exactly.  They could use the money for the reworking for a new engine anyway.

2007 Honda S2000

Catman

I think around 6500 lbs, which isn't much considering a 4Runner is about the same.  Not sure why other than the suspension is pretty soft but it might be Toyota being conservative.  But that's still up there for a 1/2 ton truck.  If I was going to tow more than that regularly I'd be looking into an F250 or something.

BMWDave

I think around 6500 lbs, which isn't much considering a 4Runner is about the same.  Not sure why other than the suspension is pretty soft but it might be Toyota being conservative.  But that's still up there for a 1/2 ton truck.  If I was going to tow more than that regularly I'd be looking into an F250 or something.
Thats still pretty good.  

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

It is indeed 6500 lbs.