Lotus Readies New Coupe ? and It's Coming to US!

Started by BMWDave, July 09, 2005, 08:54:21 PM

BMWDave

Lotus Readies New Coupe ? and It's Coming to America
Date Posted 07-08-2005

HETHEL, England ? Lotus is testing a new 2+2 coupe that will fit between the current lightweight two-seat Elise and Exige models and the new Esprit supercar, due in 2007.

The car, expected to revive either the Elite or Excel nameplate, which will be priced around $70,000, has a composite body and an aluminum chassis. It's wider and longer than the Elise, but has the same midengine layout as the small Lotus models.

There's no word on the engine the new car will use, but Lotus already sources engines from Toyota, so a 3.0-liter or 3.5-liter Toyota V6 is a distinct possibility. The new addition will probably make its public debut at next year's Geneva show.

This announcement explains why Lotus' parent, Proton, made the controversial decision to build the new Esprit in Malaysia rather than at Lotus' traditional base in England. It will need all its capacity in the U.K. to build the new car, which it plans to sell worldwide. Around 5,000 examples a year are expected to be exported to the U.S.

What this means to you: Lotus fans may have moaned when the decision to move Esprit production to Malaysia was made ? but news of an affordable 2+2 will cheer everybody up.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

TBR

Isn't the Espirit no longer produced? If so, how could have production been moved? Or are they refering to the next gen car?  

BMWDave

QuoteIsn't the Espirit no longer produced? If so, how could have production been moved? Or are they refering to the next gen car?
I would assume they are talking about the next generation.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

TBR

QuoteIsn't the Espirit no longer produced? If so, how could have production been moved? Or are they refering to the next gen car?
I would assume they are talking about the next generation.
Hmm, it sorts of sounds like this car will be a next gen Espirit in essence at least. But they must be planning a V8 powered car to replace it.  

Raza

The Esprit died when Renault stopped making the 5 speed manual.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

The Esprit died when Renault stopped making the 5 speed manual.
That is what I thought.