Product Placement

Started by 2o6, January 21, 2008, 07:36:41 PM

Soup DeVille

Quote from: omicron on January 22, 2008, 07:29:25 PM
I quite enjoyed Live and Let Die's use of the Corvorado and that delightful Fleetwood.

I doubt the Corvorado could be called product placement. There were only six of the damned things built.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

93JC

Quote from: sandertheshark on January 22, 2008, 06:01:20 PM
Absolute worst example of product placement is in that classic Sylvester Stallone / Wesley Snipes movie, Demolition Man.  "Taco Bell was the only restaurant to survive the Franchise Wars. Now all restaurants are Taco Bell."

Don't diss Demolition Man, man. :rage:

Must... enhance... my calm...

Soup DeVille

Quote from: omicron on January 22, 2008, 07:26:14 PM
I cannot imagine a more repulsive martini than one made with Smirnoff vodka.

Popov Vodka is the bargain brand smirnoff.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

omicron

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 22, 2008, 07:30:36 PM
I doubt the Corvorado could be called product placement. There were only six of the damned things built.

Oh, who gives a toss about product placement, then!

omicron

Soup DeVille

Quote from: omicron on January 22, 2008, 07:43:19 PM
Stop! Stop that now!

:cry:

There's a brand I can't quite remember that's sold in plastic 1.5 liter bottles....

Raza

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 22, 2008, 07:44:42 PM
There's a brand I can't quite remember that's sold in plastic 1.5 liter bottles....

Banker's Club?  Vladimir?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Eye of the Tiger

Orloff Vodka. It's made in Maine! And it's about $5/liter. :tounge:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

sandertheshark

Quote from: omicron on January 22, 2008, 07:26:14 PM
I cannot imagine a more repulsive martini than one made with Smirnoff vodka.
You're not trying hard enough.

And it's not straight Smirnoff anyway.  The proper James Bond Vodka Martini is: "three measures of Gordon's; one of vodka; half a measure of Kina Lillet. Shake it over ice, and add a thin slice of lemon peel."

3.0L V6

Anything in I, Robot. You could hear Will Smith chuckling to the bank.

93JC

I didn't notice particularly obvious product placement in I, Robot other than the Audi and... whatever the hell kind of bike he drove later.

To me, the Audi fit. It's set in the future, but a car from a recognisable brand ground it with a touch of realism.

3.0L V6

And the JVC Cd player, and the Converse All Stars (vintage 2004)

Actually,

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=i_robot

Raza

Quote from: 93JC on January 22, 2008, 08:31:11 PM
I didn't notice particularly obvious product placement in I, Robot other than the Audi and... whatever the hell kind of bike he drove later.

To me, the Audi fit. It's set in the future, but a car from a recognisable brand ground it with a touch of realism.

Although it was clearly a "See, Lexus?  We can make future cars too!" moment.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

93JC

I understand your perspective, but it's not like they were zooming in and out, focusing on the products, adding flashy graphics ("Only $19.95!" and so forth), etc.

If he'd had some no-name beer, driven some no-name car, etc. I think it would have looked far more out of place. :huh:

Take Back To The Future. In every time period the Stadtler family sells vehicles. In 1885 they sold wagons, in 1955 they sold Studebakers, in 1985 they were a Toyota dealership and in 2015 they were a Pontiac dealer. On one hand you could consider that blatant product placement, but in my mind it's a nice touch that connects the fantasy world of Hill Valley with reality.

Consider the hoverboard in Parts II and III: big Mattel logo on it. Product placement? Maybe. Mattel probably paid for it. But it fits, it was a little girl's toy!

Northlands

Minority Report had enormous product placement. I remember all the features in the news about the Lexus they used in the movie. Then there were the "interactive ads" in the movie when Cruise's character walked by, they would do an ad about a product ( Aquafina, Guinness , Lexus , GAP , AMEX...etc ) and then insert his name into the audio portion as he walked by.

Hell, what about " Harold and Kumar go to White Castle ? "

I gotta agree with Robocop too. Fords everywhere.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

Gotta-Qik-C7

Boyz in the Hood. 40oz of St.Ides from start to finish.  :partyon:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Byteme

Quote from: Northlands on January 24, 2008, 04:05:48 PM
Minority Report had enormous product placement. I remember all the features in the news about the Lexus they used in the movie. Then there were the "interactive ads" in the movie when Cruise's character walked by, they would do an ad about a product ( Aquafina, Guinness , Lexus , GAP , AMEX...etc ) and then insert his name into the audio portion as he walked by.

Hell, what about " Harold and Kumar go to White Castle ? "

I gotta agree with Robocop too. Fords everywhere.

Don't forget the Mercedes SUVs in Jurassic Park II.  The VHS and DVD versions even carried Mercedes ads in front of the movie.

SVT666

Quote from: Byteme on January 25, 2008, 06:49:00 AM
Don't forget the Mercedes SUVs in Jurassic Park II.  The VHS and DVD versions even carried Mercedes ads in front of the movie.
...and the original Jurassic Park had Ford Explorers.

Raza

I just watched I, Robot again.  It was better this time than when I first watched it.

The bike he rides, I'm pretty sure, is an MV Agusta.  Most people don't know what that is.  So I wouldn't really call that blatant product placement.  Honda or Suzuki, even Yamaha, sure, but most people haven't even heard of MV Agusta. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

280Z Turbo

Matrix II was pretty bad with their GM commercial.

Raza

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on January 25, 2008, 09:41:10 PM
Matrix II was pretty bad with their GM commercial.

Matrix II was bad, full stop.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Raza  on January 25, 2008, 11:45:42 PM
Matrix II was bad, full stop.

I wasn't a fan of the first one, either.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Raza

Quote from: TheIntrepid on January 26, 2008, 08:54:43 AM
I wasn't a fan of the first one, either.

I didn't like it either, but the first one was at least relatively new.  The second one was SFX over plot and script.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Tave

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 22, 2008, 07:44:42 PM

You can get Popov in a jug like that, can't you? Karkov and Potters too?
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Raza

I was at the liquor store on Friday, behind two kids buying 8 1.75L bottles of Vladimir vodka.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Tave

I guess if you know you'll come back for it anyway, why not?

Still, I bet they were mixing some sort of mass cocktail.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Raza

Quote from: Tave on January 28, 2008, 04:51:45 PM
I guess if you know you'll come back for it anyway, why not?

Still, I bet they were mixing some sort of mass cocktail.

Still, it's a Vladi base.  Ugh.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Tave

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Tave

What is a vladi base vodka?