Mazda Sportwagon Coming in 2006

Started by Catman, May 09, 2005, 05:26:07 PM

Catman

YUZO YAMAGUCHI | Automotive News
Posted Date: 5/9/05
TOKYO -- Mazda Motor Corp. will add a sport wagon for the United States in the spring of 2006, as part of the company's efforts to broaden its lineup.

The model was shown at this year's Detroit auto show as the MX-Crossport concept, based on the Mazda6 platform.

In the meantime, Mazda will add the Mazda5, a small five-seat minivan, this summer in the United States.

A remodeled Miata, renamed the MX-5, also will arrive this summer.

The MazdaSpeed6, an all-wheel-drive turbocharged version of the Mazda6, will follow in the fall.

Mazda expects those three models to help raise U.S. sales for the fiscal year that started April 1 to 268,000, a 1.5 percent increase from the previous year.

To reach the goal, Mazda will try to boost its percentage of exclusive dealerships.

On Jan. 1, Mazda had 706 U.S. outlets, of which 230 were exclusive.

For the fiscal year that ended March 31, Mazda posted a North American operating profit of $81.8 million.

That's a turnaround from a $5.5 million operating loss in the previous fiscal year.

Mazda boosted its consolidated, or group, net income by 35.0 percent to a record $426.2 million in the last fiscal year.

Operating profit jumped 18.2 percent to a record $772.4 million. Revenues were off 7.6 percent to $25.10 billion.

mazda6er

Godd news as far as I'm concerned. I hope it looks like the pic. Infiniti may lose a few FX buyers looking for a cheaper alternative if it comes out as well as Mazda's recent models.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

Catman

mazda6er

QuoteLooks like a Murano. <_<
Yeah, it does doesn't it? You're right, that is really a more natural competitor for it. But whenever I think sporty SUV, I think Infiniti FX35, (which is pretty similar to the Murano, I don't think they're on the same platform though) and I guess I was going more by "niche" competition than "appearance" competition.  You're right though.  :)

Edit: maybe I misunderstood your last post. Are you just saying you think it's ugly?
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

Fire It Up

The murano does not have a fromt bumper hole that big.  

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

BMWDave

QuoteThe murano does not have a fromt bumper hole that big.
Yea...I think its actually a nice car and would probably make a good alternative to the Nissan Murano.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

NomisR

Is that real?  Looks like a photochop of a Rx8 + Fx + large Mazda Logo.  I rather get make a Rx7 though. :(

Fire It Up

Yea...I think its actually a nice car and would probably make a good alternative to the Nissan Murano.
And much more sporty, because the Murano has the CVT.  

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

BMWDave

true.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

That article is inaccurate about the Mazda5. It seats six, not five.  

Catman

QuoteLooks like a Murano. <_<
Yeah, it does doesn't it? You're right, that is really a more natural competitor for it. But whenever I think sporty SUV, I think Infiniti FX35, (which is pretty similar to the Murano, I don't think they're on the same platform though) and I guess I was going more by "niche" competition than "appearance" competition.  You're right though.  :)

Edit: maybe I misunderstood your last post. Are you just saying you think it's ugly?
No it looks pretty nice.  The overall shape and size just remind me of a Murano.

mazda6er

QuoteThat article is inaccurate about the Mazda5. It seats six, not five.
good call iffy. what do you think of the  MX sportcross?
--Mark

ifcar

What do you have against CVTs?  

ifcar

QuoteThat article is inaccurate about the Mazda5. It seats six, not five.
good call iffy. what do you think of the  MX sportcross?
Seems all right. I'm waiting to see how the production version looks and drives before I comment further though.

BMWDave

Theyre not exactly as sporty as a regular tranny because you dont feel the shift points.  The engine is one long monotonous drone.

2007 Honda S2000

GMPenguin

QuoteIs that real?  Looks like a photochop of a Rx8 + Fx + large Mazda Logo.  I rather get make a Rx7 though. :(
It's not a chop, it was at some Auto Show.

ifcar

Theyre not exactly as sporty as a regular tranny because you dont feel the shift points.  The engine is one long monotonous drone.
Unless its a droning engine (the VQ certainly isn't) I see no problem with skipping the shift points.

BMWDave

Unless its a droning engine (the VQ certainly isn't) I see no problem with skipping the shift points.
shifting is an essential part of sporty driving-you need to hear the engine revving to full rpms and then going down again.  Otherwise its just one long whine.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

shifting is an essential part of sporty driving-you need to hear the engine revving to full rpms and then going down again.  Otherwise its just one long whine.
A CVT increases acceleration and fuel economy, and feeling a computer shift isn't my idea of driving fun anyway. I'd rather have the CVT if it could manage to do both of those.  

BMWDave

A CVT increases acceleration and fuel economy, and feeling a computer shift isn't my idea of driving fun anyway. I'd rather have the CVT if it could manage to do both of those.
Thats nice, but most enthusiasts would at least like to hear the engine shift.

2007 Honda S2000

Laconian

The wheels look a tad overwhelming for that body shape. There is hardly any hood or tail to that thing!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

MX793

I kind of like the Crossport.  I'm not really a sport ute guy, but I do like some of the more muscular car based ones like the Infiniti FX and this.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

ifcar

Thats nice, but most enthusiasts would at least like to hear the engine shift.
Then those enthusiasts should have bought a manual.  ;)