Sexy New BMW

Started by 93JC, July 10, 2005, 11:34:44 AM

ifcar

Just a shell used to to test the vehicle's mechanicals. Though it could probably fill the niche about to be abandoned by the MB G-Class. :D

thewizard16

QuoteBMW V5

:lol:
Beautiful! It should go immediately to market to compete with the H1 and G class in terms of squareness!  :P  
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

giant_mtb

Who the heck makes a V-5 and V-3.  :blink:  What's the point?

ifcar

It's not an engine, it's a model name. ;)

giant_mtb

Raghavan

93JC

QuoteWho the heck makes a V-5 and V-3.  :blink:  What's the point?
Volkswagen made a V5 engine: it was a 'VR6' with one cylinder taken off the end. It's really closer to being an I5 than a V5, as the cylinder banks are only 15? apart (usually 60? or more for a V6; usually 90? for a V8).

giant_mtb

QuoteWho the heck makes a V-5 and V-3.  :blink:  What's the point?
Volkswagen made a V5 engine: it was a 'VR6' with one cylinder taken off the end. It's really closer to being an I5 than a V5, as the cylinder banks are only 15? apart (usually 60? or more for a V6; usually 90? for a V8).
Having a V-5 with a 15 degree bank is pretty pointless, IMO.  Just make it a straight, geez.  :P

Is there any real advantage to a V-5 or is it just the same as an I-5? (I would assume the latter)

Fire It Up

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

93JC

QuoteHaving a V-5 with a 15 degree bank is pretty pointless, IMO.  Just make it a straight, geez.  :P

Is there any real advantage to a V-5 or is it just the same as an I-5? (I would assume the latter)
You'd have to see a VR6 cutaway diagram to really see the advantage in space it offers. The cylinders are staggered to make the engine shorter. The VR6 layout packages six cylinders into the length of an I4 or I5 while being only slightly wider than an inline engine. The V5 was the length of an I4, slightly wider than an I4, but made the power of a small five- or six-cylinder engine, or large four-cylinder.

A V5 versus an I5 has the same advantages as a V4 vs. I4 or V6 vs. I6: shorter length.

giant_mtb

QuoteHaving a V-5 with a 15 degree bank is pretty pointless, IMO.  Just make it a straight, geez.  :P

You'd have to see a VR6 cutaway diagram to really see the advantage in space it offers. The cylinders are staggered to make the engine shorter. The VR6 layout packages six cylinders into the length of an I4 or I5 while being only slightly wider than an inline engine. The V5 was the length of an I4, slightly wider than an I4, but made the power of a small five- or six-cylinder engine, or large four-cylinder.

A V5 versus an I5 has the same advantages as a V4 vs. I4 or V6 vs. I6: shorter length.
That makes sense.

TBR

What is the point of these pics? They reveal nothing of the actual vehicle.

BMWDave

QuoteWhat is the point of these pics? They reveal nothing of the actual vehicle.
They dont, but nevertheless, they are pictures of an upcoming vehicle and are important nonetheless.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

thewizard16

QuoteWhat is the point of these pics? They reveal nothing of the actual vehicle.
But they look like some odd military creation. So they're cool. That, of course, is the point.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

R33 GT-R

Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!

Raghavan

But they look like some odd military creation. So they're cool. That, of course, is the point.
you think that sticking dubs onto a couple of cardboard boxes with 7 series lights stuck on them is cool? oh boy. :rolleyes:  

ifcar

you think that sticking dubs onto a couple of cardboard boxes with 7 series lights stuck on them is cool? oh boy. :rolleyes:
Not an expert on "sarcasm" are you?

Raghavan

im not sarcastic. it seriously looks like ass, and i don't see how it's cool in any way.
i'm not good at sarcasm though.

ifcar

im not sarcastic. it seriously looks like ass, and i don't see how it's cool in any way.
I didn't say you were being sarcastic, you just missed the fact that thewizard was. And obviously so.

Raghavan

I didn't say you were being sarcastic, you just missed the fact that thewizard was. And obviously so.
oh. lol. told you i wasn't good at sarcasm. :lol: