Whose done dumb sh!t before?

Started by Champ, January 30, 2008, 01:57:00 PM

CALL_911

Quote from: TBR on February 03, 2008, 12:07:29 PM
We live out in the country, so our mailbox is on a metal pole by the side of the main road (opposite side of the road from our house actually). I normally stop at it on my way home because our house is at least 500 ft from the road. I always watch the mirror because I don't want to knock it off (not again, but the deer incident wasn't my fault), This particular time somehow the mirror was clear but the back of the front fender wasn't. The noise it made was far worse than the damage. In its current state (very dirty) you can't even see the scratch unless you look for it.

The noise always hurts.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

TheIntrepid

Quote from: TBR on February 03, 2008, 12:01:43 PM
I said mechanical for a reason ;). I also drove into the mail box the other day (just a light scratch, thank God) and then hit a curb and blew a tire. I am on a roll lately.

You're not a very good driver, are you?

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

J86

We put my buddy's Imprezza through the grassy median yesterday, he did an excellent job threading it between two trees right at the last second :lol:

Champ

Quote from: TBR on February 03, 2008, 11:54:06 AM
Nothing mechanical, but I am going to change my battery and probably the spark plug wires and spark plugs soon, hopefully I don't screw anything up.
Make sure to change the wires one at a time so they are in the correct spots!

CALL_911

Quote from: J86 on February 03, 2008, 12:20:01 PM
We put my buddy's Imprezza through the grassy median yesterday, he did an excellent job threading it between two trees right at the last second :lol:

I blew the transmission on my buddy's old 1994 Sentra. Funny thing is, we actually took the car out to try and kill it.  :lol:

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

dazzleman

Quote from: Champ on January 30, 2008, 01:57:00 PM
Yep, I just joined the list of eternally dumb things to do.

My battery with this recent cold snap has been needing jumps so I ran down to the dealership to get a new battery.  I ran out to the lot to install it myself because I wasn't going to pay $50 for them to install a battery.

Get it in the car and connect the cables and my engine starts smoking.

Yes folks, I hooked it up backwords.  I feel like a fking retard.  I'm an electrical engineer who knows his way around cars and hooked a battery up backwords.

So I just left it at the dealership they just called and quoted my $560 to do the alternator.  Starter is still good and the car runs, just doesn't charge so it looks like everything else is in tip top shape.

Lesson learned, hooking your battery up backwords can be a $600 mistake!!!!!!  :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

Anyone else do dumb stuff?  I know R-inge just blew that engine  :evildude:  Don't feel so bad dude I messed up something far simpler!

Dude, I've done a lot of stupid shit.

A few years ago, I got a flat tire.  I changed the tire, but put the jack in the wrong place, and damaged the underpanel of the car.  That cost me hundreds of dollars to fix.

And that's just the thing that immediately comes to mind.  There have been a number of others.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

dazzleman

Quote from: CALL_911 on February 03, 2008, 12:22:55 PM
I blew the transmission on my buddy's old 1994 Sentra. Funny thing is, we actually took the car out to try and kill it.  :lol:

Well, you succeeded.... :lol:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

J86

Quote from: CALL_911 on February 03, 2008, 12:22:55 PM

Yea, this is an '05....we were trying desparately to keep it alive :lol:

Secret Chimp

Quote from: Champ on February 03, 2008, 12:22:17 PM
Make sure to change the wires one at a time so they are in the correct spots!

True gangstas know their car's firing order, the rotational direction of the distributor and where plug number 1 is on the cap.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

TBR

Quote from: TheIntrepid on February 03, 2008, 12:17:58 PM
You're not a very good driver, are you?

I am a fine driver, I just don't have an eye for the details, I watch for the big things, not the small thing.

dazzleman

Quote from: TBR on February 03, 2008, 01:57:36 PM
I am a fine driver, I just don't have an eye for the details, I watch for the big things, not the small thing.

With all due respect, that would make you a shitty driver, dude.  One of those 'details' could be a live person one of these days.

TBR

Quote from: dazzleman on February 03, 2008, 01:59:31 PM
With all due respect, that would make you a shitty driver, dude.  One of those 'details' could be a live person one of these days.

No they couldn't. I am very careful around other cars and people. In fact, I really am quite careful in general, but with as much as I drive crap is going to happen. Hitting a curb is hardly a big deal. And, a slight misjudgement at the mail box (going all of 2 mph) isn't a big deal either.

TBR

Shitty drivers are people who slam on the brakes when the light has been red for 30 seconds. Shitty drivers are people who cut off other drivers on a regular basis. Shitty drivers are people who tailgate. Shitty drivers are people who pull out when there isn't enough room. Shitty drivers are people who drift all of their lane, and possibly into other lanes. I do not do any of those things, I have just a made a few slight mistakes. It happens to everybody, to argue otherwise is ridiculous.

Secret Chimp

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

TBR

Further thought, the reason I hit curbs and mail boxes is that I don't have a good concept of the size of the car, I think I am clear when in fact I am not. This is not a problem around people because I always give extra room to them and to other cars. I tend to not give extra room to things like curbs simple because they can't really be damaged (not by a 2800 lb sports coupe anyway) nor can they damage a car much (I didn't even realize they could blow a tire). Now I am sure I'll treat curbs with the same respect I treat people.

Secret Chimp

TheIntrepid

Quote from: TBR on February 03, 2008, 02:03:59 PM
No they couldn't. I am very careful around other cars and people. In fact, I really am quite careful in general, but with as much as I drive crap is going to happen. Hitting a curb is hardly a big deal. And, a slight misjudgement at the mail box (going all of 2 mph) isn't a big deal either.

So? I drive ~400km a week. I have yet to hit anything. Things aren't "bound to happen" unless they're someone else's fault. That's something you can't control. I may be overconfident of my driving but I know damn well I'm not going to hit anything on account of my negligence. What I am afraid of is drivers like you who aren't watching and will end up hitting me.

The Pirate

One time, I changed the oil in my car, and was driving around later.  I found out the hard way, but I neglected to re-affix the oil filler cap.  :mask:
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

TBR

Quote from: TheIntrepid on February 03, 2008, 08:41:29 PM
So? I drive ~400km a week. I have yet to hit anything. Things aren't "bound to happen" unless they're someone else's fault. That's something you can't control. I may be overconfident of my driving but I know damn well I'm not going to hit anything on account of my negligence. What I am afraid of is drivers like you who aren't watching and will end up hitting me.

You're bloody hard headed, aren't you? So I hit a curb, that makes me a terrible driver? There is a big difference between hitting a low lying object with the back tire and hitting a car or a person. If you can't see this than then you're an idiot. The mail box was a matter of inches. Yes, I screwed up, but in my defense it was very dark out (when it is overcast out here you can't see a thing at night, no light pollution). I am glad you can finally feel superior about something. And, fyi, 400km is nothing. 400-500 MILES a week for me.

Edit- besides, if you think you're going to make it through a lifetime of driving without any mistakes then you're in for a world of disappointment. Talk to any adult (real adult), I am sure they have hit a curb at some point or another. And, of the 4 incidents I have had, one of them wasn't my fault (what was I supposed to do to stop the damn deer from running into the car?), two were my fault, but very minor, and the other was very much my fault and relatively major (of course there were no other people involved and no damage done to anybody's personal property but mine). And, most importantly, I learned from everyone of these incidents (okay, so the mail box run in wasn't very beneficial, but after hitting the deer I have become much more careful on country roads at night (though I was going the speed limit at the time and was pretty much at a stop when the dumb animal hit me) and since the pole I am much more aware in parking lots)).

TheIntrepid

You hit a pole, you've hit a mailbox, you've hit a curb.

You can't call yourself a good driver. There's no point to arguing. At least you're man enough to admit it.

Yeah I hit a curb once. Not hit per se, but turned too tightly and my rear wheel bounced it a little. I was 14 and it was one of my first times on the road in Canada. Whatever, big deal.

TBR

Guess what, that is exactly what I did. But somehow this makes me a bad driver? You're being ridiculous. As noted, the mailbox incident happened at very low speed and I normally miss it by 3-4 inches, it has absolutely nothing to do with my ability to pilot a vehicle at speed. The pole, yes, that was a big deal. But, I have learned from it and I am not going to make the same mistakes again (cutting across a parking lot while simultaneously look over my shoulder for traffic).

I am a good driver. A couple of very minor, isolated incidents do not change that fact.

TBR

I see that you have read the last post without replying, I'll take that as a concession.

Of note, when I have been in situations that could result in a great amount of carnage I have reacted by the textbook. When I had a left front tire blow I slow applied the brake, checked the left lane for traffic, and then slowly let the 5,000 lb vehicle drift towards the median (why fight it I figured). When I saw a deer at the edge of a blind curve I slammed on the brakes immediately. Of course the deer still hit the car, but I hit the brakes as soon as could be expected.

I really think it is ludicrous that I am having to defend my driving abilities over something as minor as hitting a curb at 10 mph and scratching a mail box pole at under 2 mph.

Secret Chimp

Quote from: TBR on February 03, 2008, 10:40:25 PM
I see that you have read the last post without replying, I'll take that as a concession.

Of note, when I have been in situations that could result in a great amount of carnage I have reacted by the textbook. When I had a left front tire blow I slow applied the brake, checked the left lane for traffic, and then slowly let the 5,000 lb vehicle drift towards the median (why fight it I figured). When I saw a deer at the edge of a blind curve I slammed on the brakes immediately. Of course the deer still hit the car, but I hit the brakes as soon as could be expected.

I really think it is ludicrous that I am having to defend my driving abilities over something as minor as hitting a curb at 10 mph and scratching a mail box pole at under 2 mph.

Hitting a curb at 10 mph isn't really minor. The last time I heard somebody do that it was from the previous year's driver's ed class in high school.

Laconian

My old Camry was parked in the driveway. The driveway is fairly narrow, and the garage opens up at a 90 degree angle to the direction that cars are parked outside. When there is a car in the driveway, maneuvering the Miata out of the 2nd garage bay requires rowing between 1st and reverse at least three times. One day I thought I got the angle right on the first try, and while I was backing up I noticed the trunk of the Camry moving up. Oh fuck. I drove forward and the trunk dropped again. I got out and surveyed the damage. The mighty plastic bumper of the Camry made a nice gouge on the driver's side fender.

For the next few months I fixated on that scar whenever I approached the Miata. It was shameful. :(
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Danish

Quote from: The Pirate on February 03, 2008, 09:08:18 PM
One time, I changed the oil in my car, and was driving around later.  I found out the hard way, but I neglected to re-affix the oil filler cap.  :mask:

That happened to my dad once when he took my old car to get an oil change. The worst part about it was that the padding on the underside of the hood was soaked in oil afterwards
Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

Eye of the Tiger

This one time, I drained an entire cooling system onto my garage floor - no, actually I did that twice. I couldn't get it into a bucket. :huh:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

280Z Turbo

Quote from: NACar on February 04, 2008, 05:21:45 PM
This one time, I drained an entire cooling system onto my garage floor - no, actually I did that twice. I couldn't get it into a bucket. :huh:

I have that happen a lot now that my petcock is broke. It's either clean up a mess when I change coolant or buy a new radiator. :huh:

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

TheIntrepid