***Testdrove a 2008 Mercedes-Benz C200 CDI Avantgarde (W204)***

Started by cawimmer430, February 01, 2008, 12:47:30 PM

cawimmer430

Today I testdrove the entry-level W204 C-Class sedan, the C200 CDI Avantgarde. My testcar was obsidianblack and I thought it looked pretty good in this color. The rims weren't bad looking too, quite classy.

So now I'll dive right into the review. The Avantgarde C200 CDI impressed me with both comfort and sporty characteristics. The responsive steering feel and sturdy suspension interact well together to give the driver a satisfying driving experience. The comfort doesn't suffer much too. A nice blend between sport and comfort that many will appreciate. Such sterling qualities can usually be enjoyed, but in this case are only hampered by the gutless engine.

The motor is a detuned version of the C220 CDI. It also has different engine management settings. The 2.2-l engine displaces exactly 2148cc and generates 136-horsepower and 270 Nm of torque. By all means these are respectable numbers giving the impression that the car will be on the agile side. Agility, however, wasn't the C200 CDI's strength. The engine response was generally on the slow side with the same criteria only improving at speed. Acceleration was decent, but the car lacked the spontaneous and frankly brutal pickup power of its more potent C220 CDI stablemate.

Engine refinement was impressive with the motor displaying virtually no vibrations and a low noise output. I only found the motor to be particularly noisy when in "N" or "D" at a stoplight and of course in the beginning when I started it. Other than that I thought the engine was pretty decent for an "outdated" design.

The 5-speed automatic transmission has been around for a long time but it doesn't dissapoint. The transmission is smooth and the shifts are barely perceptible. Manual shifting is also possible and I found that this improves the performance of the somewhat lethargic C200 CDI when accelerating hard.

I took the car on the Autobahn too but I didn't attempt to reach the top speed. The C200 CDI felt more like a cruiser anyway since the acceleration was a bit on the slow side. It also didn't accelerate as quickly as I had hoped. This was a little dissapointing since the midrange acceleration at speeds below 100 km/h seemed quite impressive. As usual the stability of the W204 chassis on the Autobahn at speed was impressive. I only pushed the car up to 170 km/h. The engine noises were audible at this level but they weren't loud or intruding.

Overall, an enjoyable car if you're looking for a nice blend between comfort and sport. The qualities of the W204 C-Class are there, but the engine is the only downside. The C200 CDI offers adequate performance but it won't satisfy those looking for agility, rapid response and brisk acceleration. The C220 CDI is a better choice hands down. This model offers virtually the same fuel economy but with a more lively performance side to it. There's a reason why the C220 CDI sells so well...
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie