VW Routan Spied

Started by 2o6, February 01, 2008, 03:48:16 PM

2o6

nickdrinkwater

Can't tell anything from the picture.

I don't care for the name.  Who is going to buy this?

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

ifcar

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on February 01, 2008, 04:29:51 PM
Can't tell anything from the picture.

I don't care for the name.  Who is going to buy this?

If they make the interior to the VW standard instead of the Chrysler standard, I could see a reason to.

the Teuton

It's not like the Chrysler van is bad because it isn't.  But if they can do to it what Saab did to the Chevy Blazer, then it might finally be in the same realm of refinement as the Odyssey.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

nickdrinkwater

Was the Saab 4x4 a success though?

ifcar

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on February 02, 2008, 04:56:16 AM
Was the Saab 4x4 a success though?

No, but that's a very different situation. The 9-7X was based on one of the worst SUVs on the road, with bottom-of-class interior quality and comfort-biased truck-based architecture dating to 2002.

The Grand Caravan, on the other hand, is a competitive starting point. I also would not expect such a huge price difference between Dodge and VW as between Chevrolet and Saab.

nickdrinkwater

Yeah, I do agree that the new Grand Voyager/Grand Caravan looks very nice.  I'm just wondering if VW is where people look for these kind of things.  And whether they will be able to pass it off as an actual VW and not an obvious rebadge.

ifcar

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on February 02, 2008, 05:50:03 AM
Yeah, I do agree that the new Grand Voyager/Grand Caravan looks very nice.  I'm just wondering if VW is where people look for these kind of things.  And whether they will be able to pass it off as an actual VW and not an obvious rebadge.

I don't think they'll be trying to win new people to the VW brand as much as preventing people from leaving as they decide their families are too big for their beloved Jettas and Passats. In the US, VWs are big among young people, so if they can get them to trade in their cars on another VW rather than an Odyssey, they'll be doing quite well.

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: ifcar on February 02, 2008, 05:57:09 AM
I don't think they'll be trying to win new people to the VW brand as much as preventing people from leaving as they decide their families are too big for their beloved Jettas and Passats. In the US, VWs are big among young people, so if they can get them to trade in their cars on another VW rather than an Odyssey, they'll be doing quite well.

Sounds reasonable enough.

It's funny, VW seem to have a different image in the US.  In Europe, they're not a fun car, they're the sensible choice.

ifcar

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on February 02, 2008, 09:58:18 AM
Sounds reasonable enough.

It's funny, VW seem to have a different image in the US.  In Europe, they're not a fun car, they're the sensible choice.

Here, the Corolla and Civic are the sensible choices, while the Rabbit/Jetta is for those who are willing to spend more.

AltinD

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on February 02, 2008, 05:50:03 AM

In Europe the minivans are all rebadge. VW Sharan and FORD (forgot the name) were the same vehicle, as were the FIAT/LANCIA/PEUGEOT/CITROEN ones.

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

2o6

Quote from: AltinD on February 02, 2008, 04:10:30 PM
In Europe the minivans are all rebadge. VW Sharan and FORD (forgot the name) were the same vehicle, as were the FIAT/LANCIA/PEUGEOT/CITROEN ones.

VW Sharan, Ford Galaxy, SEAT Alahambra.

AltinD

^^ Yup, obviously I've been away from Europe for such a long time to remember all the names.  :lol:

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

Secret Chimp

I hope it looks better than Chrysler's "Let's make a puffy angular toaster with a DVD player inside" styling philosophy.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

akuma_supreme

Quote from: ifcar on February 02, 2008, 05:57:09 AM

I think VW may also want to start building quality cars again if they want to keep said customers. :ohyeah:

VW is in a sad state of affairs if they're begging on Chrysler's door to try and shore-up their US dealerships.  Their lineup in the US is overpriced and poor quality (due largely to our cars being sourced from the Puebla factory), and a rebadged Caravan won't do much in the long run.

Hondaboy9602

I think this thing is going to be pricey. I won't be surprised if it is priced higher than the Town & Country. I thought that the new Chrysler vans looked to be pretty good vans until I saw them that the auto show. They felt like they had less interior room than my grandparents' older Town & Country.