Accord and Camry: Why Do They Sell So Well?

Started by TurboDan, July 11, 2005, 10:42:40 AM

BMWDave

This thread on autoweek is now 200 posts :o

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

ifcar

The last few times I've checked, it was all name-calling among the members (worse than C/D). I shouldn't have to check in there any more.  

BMWDave

QuoteThe last few times I've checked, it was all name-calling among the members (worse than C/D). I shouldn't have to check in there any more.
Yes, they have some really stupid members there who are worse than c/d.  It is not an intellectual forum in the least bit.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

Stupid people, bad software. Why'd you join there in the first place?

BMWDave

QuoteStupid people, bad software. Why'd you join there in the first place?
I was there before I went to C/D.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

So, iffy, you don't think emotion should play any part in the car buying process? So, you think someone should buy a car they really don't like just because the numbers look better?  

ifcar

QuoteSo, iffy, you don't think emotion should play any part in the car buying process? So, you think someone should buy a car they really don't like just because the numbers look better?
No, a decision can be both rational and emotional. And buying a car that you don't like has nothing to do with being rational, that's being stupid (unless it's the best you can afford, which is another story completely).

TBR

QuoteSo, iffy, you don't think emotion should play any part in the car buying process? So, you think someone should buy a car they really don't like just because the numbers look better?
No, a decision can be both rational and emotional. And buying a car that you don't like has nothing to do with being rational, that's being stupid (unless it's the best you can afford, which is another story completely).
Exactly, being completely rational will lead you to a car that you don't like.

ifcar

Not at all. How is spending thousands of dollars on something that you don't like a rational decision?

TBR

QuoteNot at all. How is spending thousands of dollars on something that you don't like a rational decision?
Buting being totally rational could result in you buying a car that you don't like. For example, suppose I have $22000 to spend on a midsize mainstreamer. From the numbers the Accord would make more sense, it gets best in class fuel economy, is quiet, has a smooth ride and has an immaculate reliability history. So, if I was totally rational that would be the car I would get. However, I don't like that car nearly as much as the 6 or Legacy.  

ifcar

That's being rational about it. You look at the factors of a vehicle that you're most interested in, and choose based on that.

TBR

QuoteThat's being rational about it. You look at the factors of a vehicle that you're most interested in, and choose based on that.
What if one of the factors that I am most interested in is emotional appeal?

ifcar

You're looking at emotional appeal as a rational factor.

TBR

Yes, but something rational can't be emotional.  

ifcar

Of course it can. If you rationally decide that you could only enjoy a $25,000 purchase that has emotion, you're being rational about it.

TBR

From dictionary.com:
"rational:  Consistent with or based on reason; logical:"

If emotion is in direct conflict with reason than you can't make a rational decision and end up with the car you want.  

ifcar

Is it logical to spend $25,000 on a car that you don't like? No. If you want some sort of emotion to make a vehicle choice worthy of your $25K, it's only logical to buy a vehicle with emotional aspects to it.

TBR

But that decision wouldn't be based on reason, it would be based on emotion and therefore wouldn't be rational.  

thewizard16

QuoteIs it logical to spend $25,000 on a car that you don't like? No. If you want some sort of emotion to make a vehicle choice worthy of your $25K, it's only logical to buy a vehicle with emotional aspects to it.
I agree with that. I've looked at cars that were sensible choices, and reasonably priced, but if you can't connect with the car at all, or something about it just isn't likable to you, it's not logical to buy it.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

ifcar

TBR, just answer this: Do you consider it logical to buy a car that you don't like?

TBR

No, I wouldn't which is my whole point. A completely rational decision would be based completely on reason, but emotion isn't a rational, logical, or reasonable thing.  

ifcar

But if it's something that you rationally decide that you want in a car (not just buying on the spot simply because something about it catches you), it is as rational of a factor to include in a rational vehicle purpose as seat comfort, handling, or price.

thewizard16

QuoteNo, I wouldn't which is my whole point. A completely rational decision would be based completely on reason, but emotion isn't a rational, logical, or reasonable thing.
You guys are going to go back and forth on this all day I have a feeling, but I agree that it is not logical to buy something that you don't like. If it isn't logical to buy something because of an emotional feeling, then emotion and logic can be connected.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

TBR

By the definition of rational something emotional can't be rational. I understand your point, but your contradicting the definition of rational and, in the process, your original comment.  

ifcar

QuoteBy the definition of rational something emotional can't be rational. I understand your point, but your contradicting the definition of rational and, in the process, your original comment.
My definition of something rational would be something that you thoroughly think through and decide makes sense. If you thoroughly think through the idea of preferring a car with emotion, recognizing its benefits and downsides, and still decide that it makes sense to buy a car with emotion over something that looks better on the spec sheet, then it's a rational decision.

TBR

Fine, but it can't be a fully rational decision because it was partly based on emotion.  

ifcar

As long as emotion is treated rationally, that's not a problem. ;)

ifcar

Just joined the subscriber-only Consumer Reports forums, this article was posted there and was read by at least one CR editor. :praise:

BMWDave

QuoteJust joined the subscriber-only Consumer Reports forums, this article was posted there and was read by at least one CR editor. :praise:
How do you know that?

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

Because he posted in the thread about it.