Diff. between T rated and Z rated

Started by footoflead, July 11, 2005, 04:28:46 PM

footoflead

Well i took my dads six banger 'Stang in to have tires put on the rear (why my dad didnt do when he had the front replaced i dont know :rolleyes: ) and the guy was puzzel'd at why the tires that came with the vehical from the factory were T-rated...he looked in the door jam and found were it said it required Z-rated :blink: ...

I Know that theres a Diff. between T and Z rated..

My question is..whats difference...whats the speed for T rated and the speed for Z rated...( i know Z rated is faster and rated to something like 180?...i say ford try'd to kill me because this cars has been to the speed govener a couple times...120 in cause your wondering)

(stupid ford tryin to save a few bucks)

This probally should be in gen auto...but i dont feel like re-typin all this crap..o well deal with it folks
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

TBR

I don't know why Z-rated tires would be required, I would think that Ts would be perfectly capable of the speeds the V6 model can reach.  

Raghavan

QuoteWell i took my dads six banger 'Stang in to have tires put on the rear (why my dad didnt do when he had the front replaced i dont know :rolleyes: ) and the guy was puzzel'd at why the tires that came with the vehical from the factory were T-rated...he looked in the door jam and found were it said it required Z-rated :blink: ...

I Know that theres a Diff. between T and Z rated..

My question is..whats difference...whats the speed for T rated and the speed for Z rated...( i know Z rated is faster and rated to something like 180?...i say ford try'd to kill me because this cars has been to the speed govener a couple times...120 in cause your wondering)

(stupid ford tryin to save a few bucks)

This probally should be in gen auto...but i dont feel like re-typin all this crap..o well deal with it folks
check the speed limit on the T tires.

footoflead

QuoteI don't know why Z-rated tires would be required, I would think that Ts would be perfectly capable of the speeds the V6 model can reach.
I'm not sure but i believe that all mustangs are chipped at the same speed...the speedo goes to 120...i know it can reach that and beyond...(its all in the gearing)

the 6'er just doesnt get there as fast ;)  

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

giant_mtb

Where does it say what "rating" the tires are?  And does it say what maximum MPH the tires are capable of? (I'm asking for myself, too...I've always wondered)

cozmik

T is rated to 118 MPH, Z is rated to in excess of 149 MPH.

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

footoflead

QuoteWhere does it say what "rating" the tires are?  And does it say what maximum MPH the tires are capable of? (I'm asking for myself, too...I've always wondered)
I dont know..it doesnt say on the tires...

The fac. originals were T rated

the new tires are Z rated

anybody know what the speeds are for both

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

footoflead

QuoteT is rated to 118 MPH, Z is rated to in excess of 149 MPH.
thanks saab

how about tread wear???

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

bobwill

thanks saab

how about tread wear???
Each different model of tire will have a numeric treadwear rating.
Let me point you to http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/tec...e.jsp?techid=33
for a diagram of where to find everything you could want to know about sidewall markings, and http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/tec...e.jsp?techid=48 for the following info specific to your question of tread life.
QuoteTreadwear Grades

UTQG Treadwear Grades are based on actual road use in which the test tire is run in a vehicle convoy along with standardized Course Monitoring Tires. The vehicle repeatedly runs a prescribed 400-mile test loop in West Texas for a total of 7,200 miles. The vehicle can have its alignment set, air pressure checked and tires rotated every 800 miles. The test tire's and the Monitoring Tire's wear are measured during and at the conclusion of the test. The tire manufacturers then assign a Treadwear Grade based on the observed wear rates. The Course Monitoring Tire is assigned a grade and the test tire receives a grade indicating its relative treadwear. A grade of 100 would indicate that the tire tread would last as long as the test tire, 200 would indicate the tread would last twice as long, 300 would indicate three times as long, etc.

The problem with UTQG Treadwear Grades is that they are open to some interpretation on the part of the tire manufacturer because they are assigned after the tire has only experienced a little treadwear as it runs the 7,200 miles. This means that the tire manufacturers need to extrapolate their raw wear data when they are assigning Treadwear Grades, and that their grades can to some extent reflect how conservative or optimistic their marketing department is. Typically, comparing the Treadwear Grades of tire lines within a single brand is somewhat helpful, while attempting to compare the grades between different brands is not as helpful.

footoflead

thanks saab

how about tread wear???
Each different model of tire will have a numeric treadwear rating.
Let me point you to http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/tec...e.jsp?techid=33
for a diagram of where to find everything you could want to know about sidewall markings, and http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/tec...e.jsp?techid=48 for the following info specific to your question of tread life.
QuoteTreadwear Grades

UTQG Treadwear Grades are based on actual road use in which the test tire is run in a vehicle convoy along with standardized Course Monitoring Tires. The vehicle repeatedly runs a prescribed 400-mile test loop in West Texas for a total of 7,200 miles. The vehicle can have its alignment set, air pressure checked and tires rotated every 800 miles. The test tire's and the Monitoring Tire's wear are measured during and at the conclusion of the test. The tire manufacturers then assign a Treadwear Grade based on the observed wear rates. The Course Monitoring Tire is assigned a grade and the test tire receives a grade indicating its relative treadwear. A grade of 100 would indicate that the tire tread would last as long as the test tire, 200 would indicate the tread would last twice as long, 300 would indicate three times as long, etc.

The problem with UTQG Treadwear Grades is that they are open to some interpretation on the part of the tire manufacturer because they are assigned after the tire has only experienced a little treadwear as it runs the 7,200 miles. This means that the tire manufacturers need to extrapolate their raw wear data when they are assigning Treadwear Grades, and that their grades can to some extent reflect how conservative or optimistic their marketing department is. Typically, comparing the Treadwear Grades of tire lines within a single brand is somewhat helpful, while attempting to compare the grades between different brands is not as helpful.
Thanks bob..will...

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Run Away

Speed ratings are pretty conservative, I think the ratings are more for prolonged speeds rather than short bursts.

footoflead

Me and my dad were arguing weither or not the mustang could hit 149 if it wasnt chipped at 120...i dont think it could with the stock gearing...

if i fiddled with the gearing and switch out the ring gear ..i think i could get it to hit 150

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Tom

QuoteSpeed ratings are pretty conservative, I think the ratings are more for prolonged speeds rather than short bursts.
What he said.  As long as you don't really exceed the limit you should be fine.

BartsSVO

What year V6 is it? It may be able to make ~130 top speed. Later model Mustangs are kinda on the portly side.
--Bart

1986 Mustang SVO
1995 Ranger XLT

footoflead

Its an '02....i'm pretty sure its chipped to 120...it hasnt quite made it though(~115 :( )  it takes ALLOOOOTTTT of road to get it up to 120...not much torque past 4700K... :( It does handle the twisties pretty good considering we havent touch the suspension :praise:
...a little tail happy sometimes and can get you into trouble if your not carful

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Raghavan

you'll be fine with T rated tires. an excess of 2 mph isn't going to do anything.

Raza

I have  H rated tires, and used to drive at 130mph regularly.  T or Z rated tires have nothing to do with grip, and if you drive near speed limits, you won't have a problem with H, Y, T, or Z rated tires.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

giant_mtb

I'm sure the ratings they give the tires are conservative.  If they give them a rating of 130 MPH, they were probably made to exceed that by 5-10 MPH to be safe.

thewizard16

I'd always wondered, because the older Camry has T rated tires, and I once got it up to 122 (I promise I'm not BSing you, that's why it amazed me when you said the Mustang was limited to 120) on a rare straight stretch before I ran out of road (don't ask about legalities). (I assumed it'd be limited at 115 or 120, but evidently not. For all I know, it'll go until it blows up). It wasn't until after this I thought "Oh... my tires aren't supposed to do that". I wonder how much of an allowance they have...  :ph34r:  
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

footoflead

QuoteI'd always wondered, because the older Camry has T rated tires, and I once got it up to 122 (I promise I'm not BSing you, that's why it amazed me when you said the Mustang was limited to 120) on a rare straight stretch before I ran out of road (don't ask about legalities). (I assumed it'd be limited at 115 or 120, but evidently not. For all I know, it'll go until it blows up). It wasn't until after this I thought "Oh... my tires aren't supposed to do that". I wonder how much of an allowance they have...  :ph34r:
Will find out soon enough...wont be too long untill i make another high speed attempt...i was talking to my bro the other day...and he is pretty sure the 02's are chipped at 120...

the chevy is chipped at 100...its been to 100 several times :lol:  

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

thewizard16

QuoteI'd always wondered, because the older Camry has T rated tires, and I once got it up to 122 (I promise I'm not BSing you, that's why it amazed me when you said the Mustang was limited to 120) on a rare straight stretch before I ran out of road (don't ask about legalities). (I assumed it'd be limited at 115 or 120, but evidently not. For all I know, it'll go until it blows up). It wasn't until after this I thought "Oh... my tires aren't supposed to do that". I wonder how much of an allowance they have...  :ph34r:
Will find out soon enough...wont be too long untill i make another high speed attempt...i was talking to my bro the other day...and he is pretty sure the 02's are chipped at 120...

the chevy is chipped at 100...its been to 100 several times :lol:
Then reprogram the chip, if you have a place to drive like that. If a Camry will do more than 120, I KNOW a Mustang will.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Ron From Regina

I'll put an end to the argument for you, as I had a 99V6, an 02GT and now an 05 GT.

The 99 V6 would hit about 115 (according to spedo, then the govenor would kick ing)

The 02GT ran out of power around 140, and I have taken my 05 past 140, but backed off.

(Note, that all of this was done on empty back roads in good condition) If anyone drives this fast regularly, they should be shot.

footoflead

QuoteI'll put an end to the argument for you, as I had a 99V6, an 02GT and now an 05 GT.

The 99 V6 would hit about 115 (according to spedo, then the govenor would kick ing)

The 02GT ran out of power around 140, and I have taken my 05 past 140, but backed off.

(Note, that all of this was done on empty back roads in good condition) If anyone drives this fast regularly, they should be shot.
Theres no arguing goin on here....i'm positive the 02 six bangers are chipped at 120

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

SargeMonkey

I don't think a six banging stag will do 150, I know a beater camry can do 123, and a V-8 impalla can do 134. I also found out a 78 pick up can do 121, but the speedo only goes to 100.  

Yup, ford wants you to die.
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454
`70 Chevy Fleetside (non running)
`91 Camry XL All-trac 4cyl
`86 Toyota Pickup (475k miles)
`92 Jeep Wrangler Renegade 4" lift 35" tires.

JYODER240

I've had my V6 accord to 139(still wasn't at the limiter but i think i was very close), so i would guess the stang to be similar to that.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*