GTR Merged Thread (2013 GT-R specs/video, 545hp, revised chassis, sub 7:20 Ring)

Started by 565, February 11, 2008, 08:47:08 PM

SVT32V

Quote from: SVT666 on November 07, 2011, 08:40:57 PM
I have come around on the GT-R.  For the first year or so I actually hated it, but I have slowly done a 180 and I would buy one if I could afford it.

x2, yeah in the beginning the hype was overly annoying and detracted from the car, now I think its just awesome beyond words.

SVT666

Quote from: SVT32V on November 09, 2011, 11:40:45 AM
x2, yeah in the beginning the hype was overly annoying and detracted from the car, now I think its just awesome beyond words.
The hype was warranted in other words.

Raza

Quote from: SVT666 on November 09, 2011, 11:42:35 AM
The hype was warranted in other words.

Yes.  In light of overly computerized and AWD hatchback Ferraris, the GT-R looks more and more like the bargain of the century.  I no longer feel the need to compare it to the Porsche 911 Turbo; they're different cars, both awesome for different reasons.

And I dare say that the GT-R even looks better than the current crop of Ferraris.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Submariner

Quote from: Raza  on November 09, 2011, 11:46:13 AM
Yes.  In light of overly computerized and AWD hatchback Ferraris, the GT-R looks more and more like the bargain of the century.  I no longer feel the need to compare it to the Porsche 911 Turbo; they're different cars, both awesome for different reasons.

And I dare say that the GT-R even looks better than the current crop of Ferraris.

No, it still looks terrible.

A guy two minutes down the road from me has a GTR and a 430 SC (which replaced a Viper ACR) - the 430 isn't as elegant as the 360, but it blows the GTR away in the looks department. 

Mighty impressive none the less, but a GT3 RS seems so much more...awesome. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

sportyaccordy

It's a great achievement for sure but I just can't connect with it emotionally. Call me superficial or w/e but I just can't get past the looks or exhaust note. And its performance is far from accessible on the street

Raza

Quote from: Submariner on November 09, 2011, 01:05:07 PM
No, it still looks terrible.

A guy two minutes down the road from me has a GTR and a 430 SC (which replaced a Viper ACR) - the 430 isn't as elegant as the 360, but it blows the GTR away in the looks department. 

Mighty impressive none the less, but a GT3 RS seems so much more...awesome. 

The current Ferraris look worse. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

hotrodalex

Quote from: Raza  on November 11, 2011, 08:32:28 AM

I don't know, the 458 'vert looks pretty sexy. Other than the price difference, I like it more than the GT-R. Not that I would turn down either.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Raza  on November 11, 2011, 08:32:28 AM
I think detail wise all the Ferraris & the GT-R are pretty garish and overly technical.

But the Ferraris at least have sports car shapes. The GT-R has ugly details AND the general profile of a Maxima. AND it sounds like a vacuum cleaner.

If the only goal is to go fast then it is king. But I think everyone will agree that there is more to driving enjoyment than just going fast.

SVT32V

Quote from: sportyaccordy on November 11, 2011, 08:13:42 AM
It's a great achievement for sure but I just can't connect with it emotionally. Call me superficial or w/e but I just can't get past the looks or exhaust note. And its performance is far from accessible on the street

All VQ engines sound like shit, this one is no worse or maybe even better with the turbos squelching some of the braying and allowing it not to have to rev to the moon.

One doesn't have to be at 9/10ths or 10/10ths to appreciate a cars virtues in everytday driving, having an all weather car that just blows the doors off of everything and still costs less than 6 figures seems like a great combination to me.

Just a simple low 4 sec/hi 3 sec launch every few days from the old stoplight would make draw a smile from ear to ear.

Then it is not like you have to suffer in everyday driving, the car is by all accounts comfortable.

SVT666

Quote from: sportyaccordy on November 11, 2011, 08:55:40 AM
I think detail wise all the Ferraris & the GT-R are pretty garish and overly technical.

But the Ferraris at least have sports car shapes. The GT-R has ugly details AND the general profile of a Maxima. AND it sounds like a vacuum cleaner.

If the only goal is to go fast then it is king. But I think everyone will agree that there is more to driving enjoyment than just going fast.
According to road tests the car is quite engaging and a lot of fun.

Raza

Quote from: hotrodalex on November 11, 2011, 08:37:17 AM
I don't know, the 458 'vert looks pretty sexy. Other than the price difference, I like it more than the GT-R. Not that I would turn down either.

The 458 is gross.  It looks like a stinkbug. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

sportyaccordy

Quote from: SVT666 on November 11, 2011, 11:14:41 AM
According to road tests the car is quite engaging and a lot of fun.
I'm sure it is, but it still doesn't look or sound great IMO, which is a big part of the appeal of driving to me

S204STi

Sounds fine to me.  Nothing quite beats a flat-plane V8, but there are certainly worse sounding engines.  Like a Honda inline-4.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: R-inge on November 11, 2011, 05:13:30 PM
Sounds fine to me.  Nothing quite beats a flat-plane V8, but there are certainly worse sounding engines.  Like a Honda inline-4.
Pretty funny considering a flat plane V8 is essentially 2 four bangers sharing a crank. Even more funny considering when you consider that one half the displacement of Ferrari's contemporary V8s are right in line with the sizes of Honda's contemporary 4 bangers. I hope you are not of the unequal length exhaust manifold camp, because that would just split my sides

*EDIT* Also I was talking about the GT-R's engine, which sounds like vacuum cleaner. Ferrari's V8s define good sound. They even made a turbocharged engine sound good

S204STi

No, I'm in the camp that appreciates good exhaust noise, and the GT-R would, IMO, fall somewhere in the middle between Porsche flat-6/Ferrari V8 (sort of a tie for me), and ass-ripping Honda with a Folgers can exhaust.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: sportyaccordy on November 11, 2011, 08:13:42 AM
And its performance is far from accessible on the street
The same can be said about your EX650R.............
Quote from: SVT32V on November 11, 2011, 08:56:25 AM
All VQ engines sound like shit, this one is no worse or maybe even better with the turbos squelching some of the braying and allowing it not to have to rev to the moon..
True! But I sure someone makes a nice exhaust system for the GT-R!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

S204STi

I'd personally use every bit of that power every day just merging with and flowing through traffic on the interstate.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on November 11, 2011, 05:58:42 PM
The same can be said about your EX650R.............
A motorcycle's size enables it to take advantage of performance on the street in ways this spaceship can't. Plus even with its weedwhacker motor my bike still sounds better  :evildude:

68_427

Quote from: R-inge on November 11, 2011, 05:13:30 PM
Sounds fine to me.  Nothing quite beats a flat-plane V8, but there are certainly worse sounding engines.  Like a Honda inline-4.

A flat plane LS1 is super sexxy awesomeness.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

68_427

'racecar is die'
no

SVT_Power

Quote from: SVT666 on November 08, 2011, 08:59:40 PM
In a city about an hour away there are some less desirable places to live, but still nothing I would call the "hood".  Vancouver has some shitty places that would definitely use that term to describe them, but that's about 3.5 hours from here.  I have still yet to go anywhere in Canada (outside of the Lower East Side in Vancouver) where people have bars on their windows like I've seen in some US cities like SF, LA, SD, and Seattle.  I'm sure there are places like that in Toronto, but I've never seen them.

I don't know about that. I haven't really explored the crummy parts of Toronto, but from what I've seen there aren't any bars on windows anywhere...
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Tave

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

GoCougs

Yeah, I'm not sure where all this criticism of the exhaust note is coming from. Gotta hear one in the flesh.

hotrodalex

Quote from: 68_427 on November 11, 2011, 09:51:52 PM
A flat plane LS1 is super sexxy awesomeness.

Can't say I've ever heard one of those. Seems like it would be awesome, though.

68_427

Quote from: hotrodalex on November 12, 2011, 09:55:44 AM
Can't say I've ever heard one of those. Seems like it would be awesome, though.

Sounds just like a Ferrari pretty much.  LPE has one running with a turbo.  N/A it was pushing out about 620hp at 9000RPM, but in '99-'00 they had one running over 10,500RPM.
'racecar is die'
no

Onslaught

Quote from: Tave on November 12, 2011, 09:19:53 AM
I think the GT-R has a lot of road presence and sounds great.
Me too. It's not a car I love or would really even want. But I respect the shit out of it and can't understand the hate at all. It's one of the best cars made today I think.

And I also think they sound good too.