ball joint replacement on a tacoma

Started by MaxPower, February 14, 2008, 10:19:35 AM

MaxPower

My truck failed its annual safety inspection because it needs a new lower left ball joint.  It's a $40 part and the shop wants to charge me $100 for labor to repair it.

How hard would it be to replace the part myself?  I have a Haynes manual (but unfortunately not with me right now so I can't reference it to gauge difficulty, hence my question) and access to the proper tools.  I don't have much mechanical experience; my only substantial experience was when I replaced the rear leaf springs and front/rear struts.  I am willing to give it a try though.  Essentially, is this something that should be left to a professional?

Second question is assuming I put in a new ball joint, would I then need to have the truck aligned?

Thanks.

Pancor

I'm pretty sure it'll be a press-in type held in place with a retaining ring, and those really aren't that hard to change.  I've done it with nothing more than a wrench to remove the knuckle and a hammer and drift to pound the old one out and the new one in. You can buy or rent fork-style ball joint removers that work fairly well with an air hammer as well.    After it's replaced, you really should get an alignment if you plan on driving the truck a lot.   

The Pirate

http://www.popularmechanics.com/how_to_central/automotive/1888732.html

Read this, and see if you want to tackle it.  You will need a spring compressor, as the Tacoma has upper and lower control arms in the front, IIRC.  I've helped a buddy do it on a Dakota, and it was the first time for both of us.  Due to that, it took a while, but it wasn't extraordinarily difficult.  If you do it yourself, I'd do the other side as well, just to be precautionary.  On my buddy's Dakota, they both failed within 300 miles of each other.

And anytime you do something to the front suspension, get an alignment.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Secret Chimp

To make more certain you install the new one right, I'd get a spring compressor borrow-a-box from AutoZone so you can remove the whole steering knuckle. Take it in to CarQuest and they'll press in your new ball joint for $35.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.